Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Default Global TV cancels all hunting shows

Re: Global cancelled all hunting shows for 2013

I just go this email. Very sadden by this, I look forward to watching it on sundays as well. Here is the emails or phone numbers you can call to voice your opinion about this.

Global Television Cancels Hunting Shows from it's 2013 line-up

It is with great sadness that we announce the very unfortunate decision by Global Television/Shaw Media to cancel all hunting shows on Global and the Shaw affiliate networks.
Canada in the Rough™ has been airing for 8 years on Global Television and we've had a tremendous experience doing it. We want to thank all of you for your support throughout the years and as much as we hate to say goodbye, we have no choice. Canada in the Rough™, Canada's most-watched hunting show, will be pulled off Global Television after December 30, 2012.

Our hunting heritage is under constant attack by those who have forgotten that hunting is at the root of human existence and still the most valuable and effective tool in wildlife management.

If you wish to share your thoughts with Global regarding this decision, please emailviewercontact@globaltv.com as well as glynnis.prystae@sjrb.ca and greg.mclelland@shawmedia.ca or call 1-877-307-1999.

Please remember to enjoy the greatness of Canada and be proud of your hunting heritage.

Sincerely,
Keith Beasley, Paul Beasley & Kevin Beasley
Executive Producers
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Time to boycott Canwest media or what?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Wow.

Sometimes I wish I was better at debate. How sad that "they" are winning at pushing their own agendas, at the expense of our own lifestyle. How long before they block Swamp People and the other U.S. based shows?

Sad. Censorship at it's ugliest.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Seriously, some of the stuff you see and hear about on their newscast is far worse than any hunting show I've watched...Very dissapointing is all I can say.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM

send an email telling shaw that you are not happy with thier descision and we can get somewhere there are more hunters than anti's we just don't stir the >hit like they do. help out by emailing them your displeasure,

Greg Mcleland is already complaining about his email being overloaded so the more the better
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riflebuilder View Post
send an email telling shaw that you are not happy with thier descision and we can get somewhere there are more hunters than anti's we just don't stir the >hit like they do. help out by emailing them your displeasure,

Greg Mcleland is already complaining about his email being overloaded so the more the better
I already have sent an email, but I don't think it will do any good. Its now politically incorrect to like hunting, at least in Canada.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Make a real statement and CANCEL your cable subscriptions! Get off the idiot BOX and join life friends!!

We have the internet now! lol
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM

It is all about money. Now that shaw has wild tv they want us all to subscribe to it. This makes them more money.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM

3 emails sent. Very disappointed
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Pretty sad. Gun magazines disappearing off store shelves and now this.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Pretty sneaky for them, just another ploy for money, like charging 1$ to order a ppv above the cost of the movie.

Plenty of gun mags on the shelves I thought, tactical and hunting lots of options seems to me
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Default off the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoochyBoochy View Post
Make a real statement and CANCEL your cable subscriptions! Get off the idiot BOX and join life friends!!

We have the internet now! lol
get off both... and go hunting!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Banned

Can anyone verify the email to be legit? google only produces the email posted on hunting sites...

http://canadaintherough.com

that's the website the email speaks of, nothing on their site to suggest they are done?

Anyone?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Could be legit.

Found this

Contacted the show directly to inquire.

If it is cancelled, it's probably because it's not getting enough ratings to generate the revenue needed to sustain it.

Maybe CBC can pick it up. If I were CBC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It would be the most brilliant move they could make.

In fact, I am going to suggest it.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Another link
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1031...ision-decision
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Unhappy

No more Canadian tradition
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Cool

shaky head dude drove me up the wall during his little one on one snips.
a sad day all the same ,many a morning it was my get the heck outside and hunt /fish alarm.
a good down to earth, realistic,attainable outdoors show.
one more reminder of our loss of self reliance as a core value.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM

These are the channels that Shaw owns..

Global
BBC Canada
DejaView
DIY Network Canada
Food Network
Global Reality Channel
H2
HGTV
History
IFC
Lifetime
MovieTime
Mystery
National Geographic
Nat Geo Wild
Showcase
Action
Slice
TVtropolis
Twist TV

These are the local stations

BC (CHAN)
Okanagan (CHBC)
Calgary (CICT)
Edmonton (CITV)
Lethbridge (CISA)
Saskatoon (CFSK)

Regina (CFRE)
Winnipeg (CKND)
Toronto (CIII)
Thunder Bay (CHFD)
Montreal (CKMI)
Maritimes (CIHF)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Canadian Tradition was cancelled too?

My son is going to be devastated.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Canadian Tradition was cancelled too?

My son is going to be devastated.
Global TV, which is a Shaw subsidiary, is kicking all hunting shows off the air by the end of the year. Other outdoors shows depicting fishing and boating will remain on the air, but any show featuring hunting will be eliminated.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM

I received and email fromt he show confirming it was definitly the Vancouver Humane Society that petitioned Global and Shaw to cancel broadcasting hunting shows.
I received a reply email almost immediately from Canada in the Rough, and nothing from Shaw or Global yet.
The answer is to band together and cancel your Shaw support.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Well you gotta love internet.. Hook up your laptop to your tv and watch all the hunting shows you want!

Sucks though I watch Canadian Tradition every saturday at work
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I really don't think that would work for these folk Darwix, they'd miss all the great advertising, inserted into the videos, in the "shows" they were watching.
How would they live without them?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM

I just got off the phone with one of the show hosts.

Here is what we can do...

1. Yes, write to Global and Shaw. Especially Shaw, who has their roots in Alberta as I understand it.

2. Write to CTV and CBC and encourage them to pick up these three shows for the 2013 season.

3. Contact your local hunting/conservation organizations as they will be the ones on the front lines fighting this battle.

This is not about three shows being cancelled. This isn't about the changing face of television and the media world.

This is an assault on Canada's hunting heritage, and we the hunters are losing.

Above all, be professional, be respectful and understand that every email you write, and every phone call you make represents not only Canada's hunters, but these three programs and their families who are all losing their livelihoods.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Could be legit.

Found this

Contacted the show directly to inquire.

If it is cancelled, it's probably because it's not getting enough ratings to generate the revenue needed to sustain it.

Maybe CBC can pick it up. If I were CBC, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It would be the most brilliant move they could make.

In fact, I am going to suggest it.
CBC is worst, lots of anti hunting and anti gun.... just too bad, but a reality of this country
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody arrow View Post
CBC is worst, lots of anti hunting and anti gun.... just too bad, but a reality of this country
Not necessarily. Read my later post.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I just got off the phone with one of the show hosts.

Here is what we can do...

1. Yes, write to Global and Shaw. Especially Shaw, who has their roots in Alberta as I understand it.

2. Write to CTV and CBC and encourage them to pick up these three shows for the 2013 season.

3. Contact your local hunting/conservation organizations as they will be the ones on the front lines fighting this battle.

This is not about three shows being cancelled. This isn't about the changing face of television and the media world.

This is an assault on Canada's hunting heritage, and we the hunters are losing.

Above all, be professional, be respectful and understand that every email you write, and every phone call you make represents not only Canada's hunters, but these three programs and their families who are all losing their livelihoods.
well said
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM

This is the E-Mail I sent to Global, in peticular, to the 3 linked names that were listed on that EM from The Beasley Boys.

I received an E-Mail today that really upsets me. It states that Global is cancelling all of it's hunting programs as of this December, 2012. Hunting is a big part of my family's life. We rely on having some of the best naturally fed meat available to us. Meat that hasn't been forced fed God only knows what, abused, or neglected !
It helps sustain us through the winters as well.
The obvious problems of over population in certain areas and zones of the province is known all too well. Just ask any of the insurance companies how many claims were made from Lunenburg and surrounding areas !! Talk to some of the residents about the destruction to their prized gardens on their million dollar estates.

Why don't you take a moment and do a little research....and just see just where all the monies come from that supports the habitat saving, wildlife supporting, public programs here in Nova Scotia.
Let me tell you, in short...it comes from only one source....hunters and trappers, that's it !!!!
We MUST purchase a WILDLIFE HABITAT STAMP every single year, in order to hunt, or even trap a few rabbits for pies ! No other group of outdoor enthusiasts has to do that to enjoy our great outdoors. NONE !!...no campers, no hikers, no bird watchers, no kayakers, no dog walkers, no joggers...NO one else BUTTTT the hunters and trappers !
I / we've been watching Global TV and supporting it's sponsors for a lot of years. I have no regret in telling you that I will NOT be watching it from this day forward. I will no longer support anything you or your sponsors attempt to do in the community as well.
I belong to some very active public hunting and outdoors forums across this great country of ours. Be assured, I will definitely voice my disappointment in Global, every chance I get, any time someone asks, " what do you think ? " I will make it well known, what I think on every public forum that I belong to. i will also make it known to all my friends, and their friends and families too !!

You can sign me as a fed up Global supporter, but still a conservation supporter for over 35 years !!...K. Slaunwhite, T.Bay

Here's a list of who and what we hunters and trappers support in Nova Scotia.....taken from the DNR website...

Province Supports Habitat Conservation Projects
Department of Natural Resources
August 28, 2012 1:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: A list of 15 projects selected by the Habitat Conservation Fund follows this release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funding from the province will help educate youth about provincial wildlife, preserve wildlife habitat and protect species at risk.

Fifteen projects will receive a total of $181,792 in funding this year from the Habitat Conservation Fund.

"Many individuals and groups in the province are committed to the protection of wildlife," said Natural Resources Minister Charlie Parker." Funding from this program supports efforts to enhance wildlife habitats across Nova Scotia."

Money for the fund is generated through the required purchase of a wildlife habitat stamp on all hunting licences. Since 2001, more than $1.5 million has been invested in wildlife conservation through the sale of the stamps.

"The fund allows hunters and trappers to help sustain the province's wildlife and wildlife habitats," said Tony Rodgers, executive director of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters. "We appreciate being part of this program and seeing the benefit that results from these conservation projects."

To be considered, a project must improve habitat through research, education programs or the purchase of land for the benefit of wildlife. Projects are funded up to 75 per cent, on a cost-shared basis, to a maximum of $25,000, or $50,000 for land acquisition.

"Support from this fund has allowed the Nature Conservancy of Canada to conserve valuable lands and undertake important conservation planning work for Nova Scotia's species at risk," said Craig Smith, program manager for the Nature Conservancy of Canada in Nova Scotia.

Projects are reviewed by an independent board of directors with representation from the hunting community, environmental organizations and academic associations. The Minister of Natural Resources selects the recipients based on the Board's recommendations.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Just cancelled my Shaw Direct account, will have Bell hooked up soon. We dont have to put up with this BS.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Just cancelled my Shaw Direct account, will have Bell hooked up soon. We dont have to put up with this BS.
I hope you made sure Shaw knows why you cancelled your account. Otherwise, they will not realize it is hunters that are boycotting them.