Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Okotokian

Default Re: Trapline

Ok, I just dropped into the Trapping area out of curiosity. Never trapped before. Completely ignorant about it.

So my questions is this: What is actually "sold" when you sell a trapline. I assume you don't own the land. Is it the sale of the permission of the landowners to exclusively trap on the land? Does a trapper have this right contractually in writing for a period of time such than he can sell or trade it?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
fat cat

Rob: Why do you continue to put so much faith in fish and wildlife? they killed the trapper, and allowed the sales of lines to recreational users????
Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Rob Miskosky

I put faith in them because I work closely with them on a regular basis and I know how dedicated they are to what they do. Unfortunately, Klein decided the department wasn't worth maintaining at a level to which they were able to properly do their jobs and gutted it. These people have far too many things on their plates to be able to focus solely on certain issues. Until the department is given a proper budget so they can hire more enforcement officers, biologists etc., don't expect miracles that are unattainable.

And you can't blame Fish and Wildlife for the greed of certain individuals.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 AM
sourdough doug

I only wish I had more time and/or was faster on the keyboard than I am because I could go on at length about what is happening to the trapping sector in AB . There is nothing at all that I do not agree with that Rob has mentioned and he is really trying to keep this post on track. A very hard thing to do since as I stated so many things are presently influencing trapping. As Doug N. said about this "active trapper" paper that has or will be coming down from the powers to be, well it scares me that so many people, political people, are the ones enacting this "legislation".. Yeah , the ATA , initiated the whole thing and IMO we slipped the rope around our own neck . I better not go further cuz this is exactly what Rob is trying to prevent--more worms in the can.. Sorry about that Rob, keep up the crusade..
Do you think Uncle Eddy will be able to keep things on a level keel and be able to sort the bears--t from the blueberries especially where some of these "user groups" are conc
erned ?
Say fat cat, what you said is bang on too- however I've heard some of the loopholes that were used and in most cases the fish cops had their hands tied and not to allow it to happen probably would have ended up in a court case. Damned if you do and if you don't..
Gotta go now , this time for sure................
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Trapline

Default Trapline

Has anyone heard what is happening with the changes to the definition of a active trapper, scince all the government ministers have changed.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Rob Miskosky

My understanding is that a Consultants Report is - if not in his hands already - on its way to the Deputy Minister.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Dark Wing 01

Default re:Trapline Changes

Any updates Rob?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Rob Miskosky

Default Re: re:Trapline Changes

Haven't heard much, but then again I haven't been asking questions. May be time....
Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 AM
guidehunt

Default traping cabins

Thats good news have seen to many trap line cabins used as hunting camps .
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
The one in the Bargain Finder is $65,000... what a joke! Have to catch a lot of beaver to pay for that, provided it didn't burn down in a forest fire.
I dunno, two quads, three snowmobiles, tub trailers and sleds.tractor with bucket, cabin equipped with solar, 12V, 110 with plumbing, two freezers, decked out skinning shack
with stainless skinning tables , skiing poles etc and two line cabins insulated and sided.

Part of the line is on a large river, lots of long haired fur, plus easy access to town.
trails that ring and bisect the whole line, big work shop.
traps and snares galore.
Figure out the time involved for the last fifteen years and fur taken,. plus the assests
That's gotta be worth something
Cat
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

Thumbs up 4 sale

I think , I have to agree with you catman. Can you imagine a farmer, having to give away all the sweat equity he has put into his life on the land. Sure, they will say, it's not the same, but there are a lot of similarities. Mostly, though, it's all envy. I could say, jealously, but that would only rub salt in a wound. There have been any number of abuses of trapline cabins and as usual, the "anti's", paint us all with the same brush. Oh yes, we have them amongst us too. If the powers to be would have had the balls to nip it in the bud, this would not be an issue. I should tell you of a certain "trappers cabin" in the Calling Lake area and see what political bees nest that - should - have been. I think maybe, at least I hope, some can see the point I am trying to make. I, probably paid too much for the line I have, but the peace it brings to me, just to think of it, is the reason I did so. And I don't regret it for a minute. However when the bones get to tired to pack all that expensive beaver up the slippery slopes, I sure hope someone will come along with the same desires as I had..Yes sir ree..
Old 06-29-2007, 04:29 PM

A farmer can eke out a living, a trapper can't. Seeing a lot of apples and oranges analogies on this sight lately. There are a lot of nice cabins out there . The question I have is, are you buying a trapline or an investment property?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 AM

There is one going up for sale in the Ft. Mac area as soon as I can get over and post it!
Cat
Old 10-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Trapper's Compensation

I think trapper's compensation, should only cover the cabin in the event of a forest fire. Any logging or siesmic activity doesn't make that big a difference. No one really relies on trapping to put bread on the table, and if they do, they living in a dream world. As much as I dread the speed the world turns, their is no slowing down progress. Trapping is a nice escape, but not a living anymore.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
A farmer can eke out a living, a trapper can't. Seeing a lot of apples and oranges analogies on this sight lately. There are a lot of nice cabins out there . The question I have is, are you buying a trapline or an investment property?
You can't buy it for an investment property becuase you don't own the land, just the improvements.

And those have to be kept up, wether it be the eequipment , trails, cabin, etc.
There is notheing that is going to bring equity by sitting there , it will rot , rust, or grow over if not maintained, so buying one for an investment is kinda sketchy
unless you disregard the amount of time you put into it.

The F&W as I understand it is clamping down and in the past has not approved the sale of some lines in this area becsause the buyers could not prove that they either were going to trap the line, or were not competant trappers.

Cat
Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Does anyone know?

Is Gary Brooks still trapping north of Fort Mac?

Greg
Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I think , I have to agree with you catman. Can you imagine a farmer, having to give away all the sweat equity he has put into his life on the land. Sure, they will say, it's not the same, but there are a lot of similarities. Mostly, though, it's all envy. I could say, jealously, but that would only rub salt in a wound. There have been any number of abuses of trapline cabins and as usual, the "anti's", paint us all with the same brush. Oh yes, we have them amongst us too. If the powers to be would have had the balls to nip it in the bud, this would not be an issue. I should tell you of a certain "trappers cabin" in the Calling Lake area and see what political bees nest that - should - have been. I think maybe, at least I hope, some can see the point I am trying to make. I, probably paid too much for the line I have, but the peace it brings to me, just to think of it, is the reason I did so. And I don't regret it for a minute. However when the bones get to tired to pack all that expensive beaver up the slippery slopes, I sure hope someone will come along with the same desires as I had..Yes sir ree..
Sourdough and others,

I believe that traplines should be sold at a price that is determined by market value.

I echo your sentiments fully.

I have been trapping professionally for over forty years and have bought, sold and even given away traplines. I have paid what seemed to be large sums with no regrets. My investment has allowed me to live my life in a healthy manner and in a short time the lower cost of living paid my investment back. No big mortgage, no big taxes, no gas bills, no electrical bills etc... I must admit that the fur returns were never large compared to working out, but it always allowed me to get by. I am on my last trapline now and hope to sell with in the next few years for a fair market value in order to supplement my retirement.

I am of the opinion that trappers should be able to sell the rights to trap to other qualified individuals. A good analogy is when the Government gave permits to outfitters that became worth a lot of money when they were sold. Some were worth $100,000.00 plus.

I also believe that trappers should be allowed to supplement their incomes by offering trapline tours.

Trappers should have to qualify and be monitored by the Government that they are out on the line and are not just some moneyed up people playing.

I could go on and on but I don't want to get too wordy.

Thanks,
Rafter
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM

nothing is going to change just watch
Closed Thread