Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 AM

I wouldn't dare do that in Canada. Could only imagine what kind of charges would be thrown at you.
I would of used a slingshot, pellet gun, a rock, or a bat, before I pick up a gun.
Glad someone shot one down though.
Hopefully people flying them will be a little more careful of where it goes.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
So he should've had a fist fight with the drone to be manly, and it's better to be dead than judged by peers. Got it.

You missed my point completely. Reading is hard.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You missed my point completely. Reading is hard.
That happens a lot on here. All the guys saying they would shoot it down too, tell ya what, I will take the financial hit and buy one for about $1200 send me your address and I'll come over and after you shoot it, come back on here after you've been charged and fill us in on the legal issues you now face and where your firearms are currently calling home. Don't forget to tell us what your lawyer charged you for a retainer and what conditions you are under as part of your undertaking you signed prior to being released and be sure to tell everyone that your PAL has now been frozen automatically through CPIC-CFC pending the disposition of your case which will likely take approximately 8-11 months to run it's course.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 AM

You guys are missing the point.
It wasn't flying. It was hovering. Meaning the operator was holding its position over the mans land.

It wasn't simply a kids toy, this one was recording what it was seeing over this mans land.
Then multiple armed persons showed up and threatened him because he took their drone down.

Was he wrong no.
Were the charges against needed - sure only to get this before the courts so laws ca, be put in place. However. The 4 men flying
/hovering it over private property should be charged.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
That happens a lot on here. All the guys saying they would shoot it down too, tell ya what, I will take the financial hit and buy one for about $1200 send me your address and I'll come over and after you shoot it, come back on here after you've been charged and fill us in on the legal issues you now face and where your firearms are currently calling home. Don't forget to tell us what your lawyer charged you for a retainer and what conditions you are under as part of your undertaking you signed prior to being released and be sure to tell everyone that your PAL has now been frozen automatically through CPIC-CFC pending the disposition of your case which will likely take approximately 8-11 months to run it's course.
One guy flying a drone instead of four could be handled without a gun, to avoid all of these repercussions.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Banned

Love it! If I lived in the country and someone flew one of those things over my property, I would shoot it as well. Can never get enough shotgun practice

People do not have the right to invade anyone's privacy or personal space!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
While I agree with you for the most part. You would give a #$&% about the ramifications once you face them.
I've been online for over 25 years and have seen people say things like "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

No you wouldn't.

My ex was a guard at a prison and the people that have the worst time in jail are the ones who were tough guy gun people on the outside.

Normal law abiding guys that go a bit too far when it comes to their gun rights or go beyond that and shoot someone or something that was illegal to do so.

No guns in jail. Biggest toughest guy wins and there is no fair in jail.

Tough guy wants your shoes, he's gonna beat you for them.

When my family or someone I love is in danger, I have no fear of penalties for using my gun.

Other than that, I give it a think.
You are wrong there sport! Someone comes onto my property during the dark hours uninvited or sends a drone to peep while I'm sleeping or at any time, I really don't give a rats #$$... I will use whatever I have to defend myself including lethal force be it a sharp instrument or a blunt one. So please don't play word games with me. If this bothers you, it aint my problem.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM

I really hope that the guy gets off. As much as it isn't a great idea to shoot a shotgun into the air in the city, people need to keep their drones away from other people's property. Hopefully this will result in legislation to be drafted concerning drones.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Couple of questions here,

Would not hovering a drone over my back yard filming be an invasion of privacy.

Now what would be the results if I brought your hovering drone down without using a firearm. If this fellow did that I am sure the armed operators would have still showed up. Would be interesting how a judge would rule.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM

I did not know when you buy a house that you own the air above it. That is interesting. What happens when say a news or police helicopter sits above? Is that invasion of privacy and right to shoot down to "protect property?" Truly an honest question as I am not sure how air space ownership works....if there is such a thing? I am confused lol.

If the guy flying the drone was just passing it by a property then whatever it will be gone but hovering in someone's backyard? That is pushing it. Then again, was the drone like 20 feet above or was it a hundred feet up? Either way a hovering drone which has a camera on it is creepy nonetheless.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
I did not know when you buy a house that you own the air above it. That is interesting. What happens when say a news or police helicopter sits above? Is that invasion of privacy and right to shoot down to "protect property?" Truly an honest question as I am not sure how air space ownership works....if there is such a thing? I am confused lol.

If the guy flying the drone was just passing it by a property then whatever it will be gone but hovering in someone's backyard? That is pushing it. Then again, was the drone like 20 feet above or was it a hundred feet up? Either way a hovering drone which has a camera on it is creepy nonetheless.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...y_EN_Front.pdf

Quote:
Closer than 150 metres from people,
animals, buildings, structures, or
vehicles
The 150m limit from buildings, people or animals pretty much makes flying a drone in a city or town illegal. If you were to shoot down a drone with #8 shot, like the guy in the news article, the drone had to be within 150m.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Couple of questions here,

Would not hovering a drone over my back yard filming be an invasion of privacy.

Now what would be the results if I brought your hovering drone down without using a firearm. If this fellow did that I am sure the armed operators would have still showed up. Would be interesting how a judge would rule.
I know a guy who knocked one out of the air over his yard with his pool leaf net, thing has like a 12 foot handle! Definately an invasion of privacy and a complete D bag activity for anyone who owns one of those things but for anyone to think that in a residential area that shooting it out of the sky is in any way reasonable and that they would "rather suffer the consequences" is laughable. Maybe if you lived in a rural area on an acreage and your nearest neighbour was 2 km's away you'd be GTG, but other than that you are just asking to be made an example of.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM

I would not be concerned if it flies by but if it is hovering for any length of time and filming you or your back yard you could call it harassment no? Now if it is hovering quite high then who knows what they are looking at. If it was sitting just above my garage roof with the camara then I might have a problem.

Something else to think about these drones would be a great tool for criminals to case out your property. See what you have, where it's located and if anyones home at your place and even you niehbours place.

I do not see these as toys like radio controlled aircraft and such. These are going to cause alot of issues.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...y_EN_Front.pdf

The 150m limit from buildings, people or animals pretty much makes flying a drone in a city or town illegal. If you were to shoot down a drone with #8 shot, like the guy in the news article, the drone had to be within 150m.

Thanks for the info. Yeah flying in the city would be close to impossible. I have seen drones in parks, guess that is illegal. Wonder if the guy knew.

I wonder what the laws are in Kentucky regarding drones. They are so new, to consumers, that I wonder if laws are really drawn up or put into effect yet.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Think about this people.

Wouldn't a drone be the perfect tool for a Pedophile, Serial Killer, Rapist or Thief???
Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know a guy who knocked one out of the air over his yard with his pool leaf net, thing has like a 12 foot handle! Definately an invasion of privacy and a complete D bag activity for anyone who owns one of those things but for anyone to think that in a residential area that shooting it out of the sky is in any way reasonable and that they would "rather suffer the consequences" is laughable. Maybe if you lived in a rural area on an acreage and your nearest neighbour was 2 km's away you'd be GTG, but other than that you are just asking to be made an example of.
What if the nearest residence was at least 183 metres away and your projectiles did not pass within 183 metres of a residence, what laws would be broken then, if in an area that allows for the discharge of firearms?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I agree total with you. You discharge a fire arm in the city you should be done. I heard somewhere that you must keep the drone within your site at all times. Some one on here posted that his new toy can go 4MLM and if it goes out of range it will come back on its own. That to me is no toy but some serious servalance equipment.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Banned

I suppose if it gets close enough a guy could unload on it with the paint gun?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM

I am not a shotgun guy, what's the effective distance on those 8g shots? 50m? 25m? Paintball gun sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
I am not a shotgun guy, what's the effective distance on those 8g shots? 50m? 25m? Paintball gun sounds like a good idea.
30-40 yards to break plastic parts i imagine #8 shot is very small and light
Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 AM

I like the paintball idea.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That's what I was thinking. If not I bet I could bring it down with a sling shot.

What drone sir ? I didn't see any drone sir. Where is the proof sir ?
^Slingshot and ice cubes as ammo.... "Gee, I don't know what happened Officer.... Did you find any evidence that I was shooting my slingshot?"

ha ha ha....

J.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
It depends what was damaged, but the #8 shot still breaks clays at 50 yards, if enough pellets strike.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Gone Fishing

This was done in an episode of "Modern Family".
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
Think about this people.

Wouldn't a drone be the perfect tool for a Pedophile, Serial Killer, Rapist or Thief???
And wouldn't a firearm be the perfect tool for a murder or bank robber.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Generally, I applaud his actions. My only concern or question would be whether it was legal to discharge a firearm at all where he was. Was his "yard" his farm yard, or in a crowded subdivision? If the latter: foolhardy. IF the former, fire away.

We need some laws about drones. They have to be a peeping Tom's dream.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
And wouldn't a firearm be the perfect tool for a murder or bank robber.

ARG
Apples and oranges my friend apples and oranges. Don't want anyone with bad intentions scouting out the possibilities at my home. Do you?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
Apples and oranges my friend apples and oranges. Don't want anyone with bad intentions scouting out the possibilities at my home. Do you?
How do you figure "apples and oranges"? You want to put restrictions on something because of what someone with "bad intentions" might do with it. The gun control crowd wants to put restrictions on guns because of what someone with bad intentions might do with them.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
How do you figure "apples and oranges"? You want to put restrictions on something because of what someone with "bad intentions" might do with it. The gun control crowd wants to put restrictions on guns because of what someone with bad intentions might do with them.

ARG
You're right. The Kentucky man should have shot the guy who operated the drone. Can't blame the drone. Good logic.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

ARG
Yes, I would like to see those drones restricted. Like I already said, no one has the right to spy from the sky.

Just my opinion.