Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Default CZ 550 American - First Impressions (pic added)

Just received a CZ 550 American from Prophet River today (22 hrs after sending the emt). I love ordering guns from Clay, and do so whenever I can because you know what you are getting. Anyway, I had my eye on this gun for about 6 months because the wood looked so good. I needed a gun for my daughter's first hunting season, and after having had a number of plastic and stainless hobbies through the house over the last while, she said to me, "Dad, I like the looks of nice wood and blued metal best and I like 270s out of all the cartridges you've let me shoot." Music to her old man's ears!

I took her to Cabelas and looked at what they had. I tried her on a Browining Micro Midas and it was too small, so we looked at regular guns. She liked a few. Then we looked at the CZ. She said in her understated way, "That's nice, Dad. Real nice." Decision made. I put an ad out for help in case I needed to cut down the stock a bit. Ad was replied to by a great fellow AOer.

I get home from work and prepare to open the box. All I can say is wow. Absolutely beautiful figured wood that would look at home on any rifle you can imagine, Cooper included. Just gorgeous. Take gun apart. Apply Howard's FeednWax to the stock. Buff. Grain pops even more. Then I go through my clean up routine for the metal, apply my fav potions as I go. Just tickled pink with the quality of the fit and finish in every aspect of the gun, particularly the deep, dark bluing. Was prepared for a rough action that needed working in, but she's not too bad. No rougher than the two Model 70s I have had in the past year.

Obviously I haven't fired her, but I am confident that I will find it to be more than satisfactory.

I purchased this gun because I was so tickled with a CZ 455 22LR I picked up in the summer, so why not get a big brother.

My final thought before I hustle out the door ferrying kids to practices is that this is how guns were meant to be built. Beautiful wood. Good, solid, heavy metal crafted with obvious care.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Default good choice

good choice. I had a 527 in a .204 that shot lights out. I also have a 452 in a 17hmr that has killed a lot of gophers over the years. The weight doesn't bother me one bit. Just the feel of them seems like a well built gun.

I have a 550 american 6.5x55 kevlar that should be coming in from prophet river this week (fingers crossed) and am looking forward to another well crafted, very accurate gun.

Enjoy it. Don't sell it like some of the others you had.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Default Great choice!!

The young lady obviously has great taste in valuable metals. I've got a 550 Medium Lux, in the 6.5x55SE, old world craftsmanship at it's finest, fantastic under-rated cartridge, and the most accurate rifle in the cabinet. Definately one i will never sell. wise purchase.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just received a CZ 550 American from Prophet River today (22 hrs after sending the emt). I love ordering guns from Clay, and do so whenever I can because you know what you are getting. Anyway, I had my eye on this gun for about 6 months because the wood looked so good. I needed a gun for my daughter's first hunting season, and after having had a number of plastic and stainless hobbies through the house over the last while, she said to me, "Dad, I like the looks of nice wood and blued metal best and I like 270s out of all the cartridges you've let me shoot." Music to her old man's ears!

I took her to Cabelas and looked at what they had. I tried her on a Browining Micro Midas and it was too small, so we looked at regular guns. She liked a few. Then we looked at the CZ. She said in her understated way, "That's nice, Dad. Real nice." Decision made. I put an ad out for help in case I needed to cut down the stock a bit. Ad was replied to by a great fellow AOer.

I get home from work and prepare to open the box. All I can say is wow. Absolutely beautiful figured wood that would look at home on any rifle you can imagine, Cooper included. Just gorgeous. Take gun apart. Apply Howard's FeednWax to the stock. Buff. Grain pops even more. Then I go through my clean up routine for the metal, apply my fav potions as I go. Just tickled pink with the quality of the fit and finish in every aspect of the gun, particularly the deep, dark bluing. Was prepared for a rough action that needed working in, but she's not too bad. No rougher than the two Model 70s I have had in the past year.

Obviously I haven't fired her, but I am confident that I will find it to be more than satisfactory.

I purchased this gun because I was so tickled with a CZ 455 22LR I picked up in the summer, so why not get a big brother.

My final thought before I hustle out the door ferrying kids to practices is that this is how guns were meant to be built. Beautiful wood. Good, solid, heavy metal crafted with obvious care.

How about sharing a picture of that nice wooden stock.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Your daughter made a great choice on the CZ550! They are great rifles, and you just cant beat the good 'ol Mauser action. The CZ550 American probably is the most practical in the hunting sense, but I do love the look of the CZ550 FS (Full Stock/Mannlicher). Mmmmm, wood!

My question for you is, where did you find the "Howards Feed 'n' Wax"????

I've been looking for a few years for a place that carries it.

Cheers!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
Your daughter made a great choice on the CZ550! They are great rifles, and you just cant beat the good 'ol Mauser action. The CZ550 American probably is the most practical in the hunting sense, but I do love the look of the CZ550 FS (Full Stock/Mannlicher). Mmmmm, wood!

My question for you is, where did you find the "Howards Feed 'n' Wax"????

I've been looking for a few years for a place that carries it.

Cheers!
http://store.prophetriver.com/howards-feed-n-wax-473ml/
Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 PM

CZ's are beautiful rifles. I have three in rimfire. Your daughter has good taste.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

Dad. How come you did not buy an Anschutz for the nice little girl?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:04 AM

Don't want to spoil her, that's why she's getting a Bushnelll Here's a pic...

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Banned

Beautiful rifle. She should be a happy girl. Good luck to her hunting with dad.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Great looking rig. Just curious as to what scope bases and rings you used?

karlster
Old 10-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Beautiful rifle, gotta love them cz's
Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM

Default CZ's

My buddy has the Luxus 6.5x55 a tack driver.I have a 527 in 7.62x39 and it will shoot as well.Would like a 550 American in 9.3x62
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlster View Post
Great looking rig. Just curious as to what scope bases and rings you used?

karlster
Looks like the CZ rings that come with the rifle.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:

It's a beautiful gun... I think you asked me about my gun in a pm?? YOu have a bit better wood than I have.
You might not want to spoil your daughter with anythign more then Bushnell glass, but the gun deserves Zeiss glass...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM

Default CZ 550 Varmint

I have an as new, Unfired CZ 550 varmint in .308 WIN for sale.
The varmint version doesn't come with rings, only one mag. It has a Turkish walnut stock. If anyone is interested PM me.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
I have an as new, Unfired CZ 550 varmint in .308 WIN for sale.
The varmint version doesn't come with rings, only one mag. It has a Turkish walnut stock. If anyone is interested PM me.
Good one. You just circumvented the first 2 basic rules of the buy/sell forum. ie: 30 days membership and 20 posts.