Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Default Sage Flight vs Launch Series

Does anyone have any susgession on these two series? Which one is better. I'm trying to get one of this at FishnHole since they have 25% off before it's over. Any sugession would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Default tough to answer

I cast the Flight yesterday at the Fishin Hole, quite liked it.

But in a way, my answer is useless right? My casting stroke may be entirely different than yours. Its the same reason its difficult asking for someone else's opinion on golf clubs.

Anyways, just do what I did - I went to compare the z-axis against the flight. To do so, I brought my reel and tested them both out in the parking lot.

Always test the rod out first with the reel and line you're going to use with it, and never buy from a store that won't let you test the rods out first.

Smitty
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

You've got to give them a try.

I tried both recently an found the the faster action on the flight really suited my casting style. I could hit 50 feet pretty much effortlessly with the flight while the launch took a little bit more work, more like the Reddington I have now.

If you do try a flight as them if they have a Rio Grand line you can try on it. The shorter front taper loads nice.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Smile

Good answers guys. I totally agree with these 2. You have to try the rod out to see how it feels for you. If your inexprienced then don't worry. Either bring someone along who can give you some pointers or ask the staff. They'll be happy to help. I was down at Fishtales a few weeks ago and Wayne (a worker from the store) was outside with a fellow letting him cast a couple of rods on the lawn.

Give them a chuck and see how they feel. Also good advice on bringing your own reel.

The Rio Grand line is a 1/2 a weight heavier so it loads nicer on the faster action rods like a Z axis and rods like that. The Launch and the Fli rods aren't as fast but will also load nicely with the grand. Although I think they would be better suited to the Rio Gold line or even a Rio Nymph line.

How would I know all this? Well I own all the lines listed above and cast them all with different makes and speeds of rods. I also own my own rod building company and I am also on a team for the Canadian Fly Fishing Championships coming up in Fernie at the end of September. Our team is sponsored by Rio/Reddinton/Sage.

Good luck with your rod purchase.

Tight lines,
Rob
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Thank you all for your opinions on this. Great Infomations for me. Looking forward to Fly fishing now. (new adventure) wooohooo....
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM

If you want to go try some rods out, go down to Southbow, really great place, They will let to take out a rod/reel for the day. and then you can actualy try it out on the water rather than just cast it in the parkinglot or on the grass.
I have a FLI 4wt, love it, from what I have heared the flight is much similar, basicaly the same rod, where the launch is under the flight.