Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
staytuned

Default A good pic of a nice southern AB gator.

44" long, 22" girth, 26.18 pounds caught by Stay Tuned & friends. Picture to follow if I can figure out how to upload it.

s169.photobucket.com/albu...igpike.jpg

I can't seem to make it work on the board, but the link works!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:34 PM
walleyes

Very nice my friend,, what an awesome specimen...
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
dodger

Awesome fish, looks like Travers Res. or is that a secret
Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
jrs

Very nice fish. I've been to that spot once or twice, awesome. I was on Littlebow today, lost a monster at the hole (darn single barbless hook ) It was pretty slow, 4 hrs 3 bites, my pops landed one six inch pike. I lost another small pike at the hole just after the big one. Beautiful weather. Underwater Camera action was disapointing, too murky.
And for southern guys who care, i suspect cpr lake is at least half winter kill. I drilled lots of holes to find the nice putrid brown water and sulfur smell. The North end may still be good but access is nearly impossible. I checked all the deep spots on the south end, almost too much ice.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
CPR Lake

Default CPR Lake

CPR lake recently underwent some work on the outflow dam last year. They drained the lake killing off all the older generations. I think they did some work again this fall which would have resulted in the lake being drained again. There was still tonnes of pencil pike there this summer and if they could survive last winter with less than a foot of water they should be able to survive again this year. Will take a few years for that lake to come back to what it was.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Vexilar

Default A good pic of a nice southern AB gator.

Nice looking Pike healthy. Looks like Chin to me

Vex.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
jrs

Default southerner

"CPR lake recently underwent some work on the outflow dam last year. They drained the lake killing off all the older generations. I think they did some work again this fall which would have resulted in the lake being drained again. There was still tonnes of pencil pike there this summer and if they could survive last winter with less than a foot of water they should be able to survive again this year."

I realize the dam was under construction and what not, the lakes 10 minutes from my house. I used to fish it a lot. I was the one who reported the winterkill 2 years ago to fish and wildlife, there were huge numbers (thousands) of pike washing up, some large (45'' was biggest i measured). This year is similar, i'm sure little guys will survive but the south half is already anoxic, i saw burbs in the area before christmas but they were trapped in the shallows. They drew it down again right in the middle of duck season, three years ago you could go fish in the summer and catch 30-40 pike an evening, this summer we only managed 4-5 a night, there was a few 4-5 lbers who will hopefully lay a pile of eggs. We'll see. I was just informing guys who may drive all the way down from Calgary as the majority of the lake is unfishable. I only wasted a couple hours looking for nice smelling water. I don't know if they actually did construction this fall but they drained it anyway. Hope it will produce some pike like the one above once again, getting back on topic .
Old 02-05-2007, 01:06 PM
bigbore

Default Re: southerner

good going on that pike, thx for sharing the pic
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Moults

Default Derby

Ah, yes! The winner from the travers derby on the weekend. That is a BEAUTY!