Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Default tolling kootenay lake

hi all heading to kootenay lake in a few days .and I am new at downrigger fishin just wandering how far back from the ball do you guys like to run your plugs /apex /hockey sticks\ and can I troll hair on downrigger thanks for your input.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM

If you plan to run a flasher or dodger, I find that you do not have to run very far back - maybe 4 to 5 feet behind your ball so it doesn't tangle your line on the way down.

If you are running just a plug, apex, jig - I typically will run anywhere from 15 feet to 100 feet behind the ball depending on type of lure, water clarity and depth you are trolling at. The deeper you are, the less feet behind. The clearer the water, the longer the lead you will want.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 PM

On the lake fishing as we speak. Seems not too many suspended fish. Seems running close on the surface. 49 degree water temp finally. Just released a 10lb bow. With moon phase should be a good weekend 😊
Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
On the lake fishing as we speak. Seems not too many suspended fish. Seems running close on the surface. 49 degree water temp finally. Just released a 10lb bow. With moon phase should be a good weekend 😊
Don't ignore flatlining a big streamer about 100m behind the boat. No weight, just let it skip thru the waves. The locals taught me this one and it works.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Similar to what bikerman said. Big flasher (no lure) about 70 ft back right behind the boat with big streamer(s) out the side about 100 feet back
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Banned

Cool

K guys are saying pull streamers . Its not just that easy. A bucktail has to "run" correctly or your just wetting hair . Take some time to see what is happening at "wave" speed to you bucktail .very few if any bucktails "run"at all speeds. Im not going to go into great detail as this is the key to running hair on the big lake .anyone can drag a fly catching fish concistently on hair is a different story . Prime time is right now given the moon and all. Might just get out for a few days my self if a pug a buck on the remembrance weekend .
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Basically there are 2 ways to fish Kootenay Lake in the cold/dark season which is now until late April.

For the big rainbows you can flatline 5 - 6" bucktails using non-stretch braided lines with a short 10 or 12 lb mono leader about 100m behind the boat or a bit less if using side-planer boards. South winds seem to be best with some waves and troll about 3 mph. I have found the really dark colored flies most effective in winter and tie my own with blue/ purple/black colors and some pearl Flashabou that extends about 1/2" behind the hair. Before you put your fly in the water, comb out any tangles so the hair will move easily in the water and tie it on with a loop knot rather than a tight connection. You will rarely catch a bull trout this way. Pump the rod occasionally so the fly darts forward then slows down - it triggers strikes.

If targeting bull trout with the possibility of a rainbow then troll downriggers starting at 30' and working down to as much as 150' and go 1.2 - 2.5 mph. Lyman plugs, flasher with glow hootchy, Apex, etc. with or without flashers work well (I personally hate flashers but they work well). Run the lures from 25 - 100 ' behind the ball but spaced vertically so they won't tangle if using 2 or more downriggers. If less than 50 ' depth then my favorite lure is the black/purple Lyman plug. If deeper than that then go for a light color and even a glow paint job. The bull trout seem to really like glow colors.
We rarely see suspended fish at any depth when trolling - other than schools of Kokanies at 150 - 250' depths. Once in a while something at less than 100' but that is rare. The big guys seem to be very boat shy and I believe they are usually at 30' depth or less and that is why we don't see them on the sonar.
Good luck and watch out for dangerous weather changes...

Last edited by BPman; 11-02-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM

This time of year - surface.

Trolling Hair, as mentioned, is a great start ........ let out lots of line and troll fast.

You can always run a 1oz-2oz mooching sinker right in front of a smaller flasher and then run some fluoro to a plug or apex - this will get it just under the surface and you will also get some attention.