Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 12:05 PM

Default Looking for BC Costal Fishing information

Well, I now have a boat and gear to be able to do some BC Costal Fishing. What I don't have is the knowledge or experience to just "Wing It". I grew up on the East Coast doing lots of Costal Fishing, I also do quite a bit of Salt Water fishing down south with charter companies. So what I do know is that first hand info of local weather, tides, currents, various hazards and such is vital, and that just driving to the coast, and heading out ignorant of the specific conditions of the area is asking for trouble. So if any one familiar with BC Costal Fishing is willing to sit down, have a meal and a few beverages on me and just give me some soild info, that would be very much appriciated! Hopefully could even schedule a trip out for some hands on education, or even at a local Edmonton area lake to do some fishing and Bull S******g, well that can be arranged as well. Anyway, that's the scoop, so if you want to help me out, fire me a PM and we can figure something out! Thanks!!
Old 02-25-2024, 12:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Boat pics please

Can’t give you first hand west coast fishing experiences etc as it has been a few years but I can cook, clean, catch, basically all the deck duties if your hiring

Boat name?

Dirty Strat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2024, 02:06 PM

I can probably help you out, but I'm living in BC, 15 minutes from the Salt these days. No longer in Edmonton. We catch a few fish on the salt. Haven't died yet fishing in smaller craft 16 foot aluminum and larger 22 foot trophy. I can tell you the most useful gear and colors so you can save money on Tackle... unlike me who bought everything under the sun and now 90% of the time just use green/white everything.

What area are you planning fishing?

I fish local off mouth of Fraser River in the Straight of Georgia and Vancouver Island. I've fished Port Alberni, Ucluelet ( Barkley sound and Offshore Banks), Port Hardy in the Queen Charlotte Straight and north of the island in the open water and along the mainland.

It's an epic place the wild West Coast... so many things that could ruin your day out there. Different animal for sure. I love it though.

UKEE this last summer...
https://youtu.be/VVK0BO_NHGQ?feature=shared

Drone Video from Port Hardy....

https://youtu.be/QOze5VNwS0w?feature=shared

Definitely get the downriggers on your boat and go fishing to cold lake for lakers on a rough day... it's the best practice you are going to get for ocean fishing in Alberta.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-25-2024, 03:35 PM

BC coast is a big place. What area are you thinking? What kind of boat are running?
Old 02-25-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~altiplano~ View Post
BC coast is a big place. What area are you thinking? What kind of boat are running?
I now have a 23' Pro-Line with a 250 Verado, so should be good to go for most costal areas. Been waaaayyy out in simular boats down south...but not that brave yet on the BC coast..
Old 02-25-2024, 05:36 PM

Soooo....either my replies are not posting for some reason.....or....there are going to be several repeat posts shortly....I'll wait to see befor I keep adding more...lol
Old 02-25-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
I now have a 23' Pro-Line with a 250 Verado, so should be good to go for most costal areas. Been waaaayyy out in simular boats down south...but not that brave yet on the BC coast..
Lots of boat for most of the coast weather depending of course. I’d join the BC sport fishing forum endless amounts of information and local knowledge. Use the search engine for where you’re thinking of going.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Lots of boat for most of the coast weather depending of course. I’d join the BC sport fishing forum endless amounts of information and local knowledge. Use the search engine for where you’re thinking of going.
Sounds good! Also, apparently you are the only one that my replies get posted....weird...
Old 02-25-2024, 08:27 PM

Having grown up and lived on the Island, I would recommend that you fish areas that allow you to get used to your boat and get things set up for your first few trips.

-Bamfield would be my first choice - lost of great areas close to town, short runs and can hide from most of the bad weather, plus lots of fish! I used to live here

Ukie (Ucluelet) - for the same reasons as Bamfield, except it is more exposed to the summer afternoon north westerlies.

Gold River/Tahsis - Great place to start to learn your boat and the gear. Lots of places to fish that are protected, lots of fish around and pretty cool country to spend time in.

Port McNeill/Port Hardy - Good fishing close to both towns, lots of options to fish and you can crab fish close to town. I used to live in McNeill

There are other places like Comox, Powel River; would not go to Campbell River as that is a tough area to learn with the strong tides and Port Renfrew as it looks like lots of areas will be closed to save the whales.

The biggest issue you have right now is finding accommodations and moorage as it is getting late to book things. Yes, it can be that busy this early.

Go to here - https://sportfishingbc.com/ - lots of great people here and they can answer specific questions about different areas.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Cheers

SS
Old 02-26-2024, 08:54 AM

Think I'll probably stick to Cold, Slave, Wab, Calling...all the central bugger water systems this year as mentioned, and get things all sorted out on the new rig. Do a bit more research, then maybe get things set up for next summer. Lots of great info!! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2024, 08:58 AM

Loved the name!! The wife not so much...lol...we will have a few trips up your way to get everything smoothed out befor we get her salty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Boat pics please

Can’t give you first hand west coast fishing experiences etc as it has been a few years but I can cook, clean, catch, basically all the deck duties if your hiring

Boat name?

Dirty Strat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2024, 09:03 AM

Excellent info! Thanks!! Ya got 3 powered downriggers, full electronics, good rods and gear that I use down south for serious game fish, and as you mentioned more tackle and rigs then I will ever need...lol....I have lots of experience on the big water....enough to know to get info befor I head out...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I can probably help you out, but I'm living in BC, 15 minutes from the Salt these days. No longer in Edmonton. We catch a few fish on the salt. Haven't died yet fishing in smaller craft 16 foot aluminum and larger 22 foot trophy. I can tell you the most useful gear and colors so you can save money on Tackle... unlike me who bought everything under the sun and now 90% of the time just use green/white everything.

What area are you planning fishing?

I fish local off mouth of Fraser River in the Straight of Georgia and Vancouver Island. I've fished Port Alberni, Ucluelet ( Barkley sound and Offshore Banks), Port Hardy in the Queen Charlotte Straight and north of the island in the open water and along the mainland.

It's an epic place the wild West Coast... so many things that could ruin your day out there. Different animal for sure. I love it though.

UKEE this last summer...
https://youtu.be/VVK0BO_NHGQ?feature=shared

Drone Video from Port Hardy....

https://youtu.be/QOze5VNwS0w?feature=shared

Definitely get the downriggers on your boat and go fishing to cold lake for lakers on a rough day... it's the best practice you are going to get for ocean fishing in Alberta.

Old 02-26-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Excellent info! Thanks!! Ya got 3 powered downriggers, full electronics, good rods and gear that I use down south for serious game fish, and as you mentioned more tackle and rigs then I will ever need...lol....I have lots of experience on the big water....enough to know to get info befor I head out...lol
Sounds like you have plenty of boat there. I wouldn't be too worried going out around Vancouver Island with that.

You never mentioned what area you're interested in.

If you want there's a website Salmon University that's got a lot of great area specific info for BC as well.

I think you kinda just have to go out and follow the pack in the morning. Talk to the guys on the dock. People and even guides are often willing to give useful info on where the fish are and how to catch them.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-26-2024, 03:08 PM

Those are some nice fish Brandon
Old 02-26-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Think I'll probably stick to Cold, Slave, Wab, Calling...all the central bugger water systems this year as mentioned, and get things all sorted out on the new rig. Do a bit more research, then maybe get things set up for next summer. Lots of great info!! Thanks!
I certainly wouldn't hesitate trying out your new boat and gear out on the coast this season, you have a long time til the season even gets going, and you have to get your feet wet sometime. As a starting point are you interested in towing out to Prince Rupert or Van Isle?
Old 02-27-2024, 08:08 AM

I really don't have any particular areas in mind...again as I'm an East Coast guy that's been stuck in the big land for many years...lol. Now I'm all retired and looking to get back on the Salt. Anymore where ma and the wife can get some decent lodging with good access to a ramp in a not to crazy part of the coast. Going to the island adds a bit extra $ and time, but I'm sure we will get there eventually. Wife hasn't given up her career yet, so we would only have maybe a couple weeks at a time during the summer as we still need time to get away in the winter, and she is NOT willing to give up her Costa Rica winter fishing yet! So baby steps! I may be able to find a few crusty Zipper Heads to crew the boat on a boys week away...but not sure how many of those I could squeeze out befor I start to hear about it...lol. Would love to target ground fish actually like Ling and Halli, of course a few salmon...but mainly just want to cruise around, enjoy the scenery, breath the air and just feel alive! Did I mention Ling...God I love those ugly, but oh so tasty fishes!
Old 02-27-2024, 08:24 AM

French creek has a good boat ramp , and lots places to stay close by
Old 02-27-2024, 08:59 AM

Thanks! Great suggestion. I guess what I am learning is that you have to get to the island first and head out from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
French creek has a good boat ramp , and lots places to stay close by
Old 02-27-2024, 12:39 PM

Prince Rupert / Port Edward, Kittimat or Bella Bella are your central/ northern choices to pull a boat to and have a ramp to access. Rupert will offer the best fishing and accommodation accessible. Bella Bella I’ve never been to others can speak for the condition of the road.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:18 PM

Yep Prince Rupert seems to be a common theme...lol. May have to add some time to the lengths of my trips! Lol
Old 02-28-2024, 10:49 AM

If your towing a boat I'd recommend Rupert no ferries to deal with. Come the end of July you'll have a great time.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:04 AM

Does your boat have a trolling motor? VHF radio? Anchor? Radar and charts are handy things to have in addition to depth/fish finder. A big net as well as a gaff or two are handy.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
Does your boat have a trolling motor? VHF radio? Anchor? Radar and charts are handy things to have in addition to depth/fish finder. A big net as well as a gaff or two are handy.
Yes, yes, yes and maybe...lol...been holding off on the radar as I may only be on the salt 2 weeks a year...and yes to charts and a BIG NET....I'll have a gaff as well on the coast. Great tips though!
Old 02-28-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
If your towing a boat I'd recommend Rupert no ferries to deal with. Come the end of July you'll have a great time.
Yep! I have been pretty sold on PR....now to find suitable place to rack out for a few hours a day, and prep fish for the migration back!
Old 02-28-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yep! I have been pretty sold on PR....now to find suitable place to rack out for a few hours a day, and prep fish for the migration back!
Black Rooster has full suites / apartments probably the best bet
Old 02-28-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Finding a place to stay will be tough. Remember British Communism has banned all AirBnB and VRBO unless it is part of their main house, so most of the good places will be gone May1.

As for fish prep, PR has no cleaning tables, so you have to clean your fish on your boat while floating in the harbour. Ice is stupid expensive. Stay away from Dollys and use PR meats if you want your fish processed.

Wharfs fill up fast, so you had better start looking sooner rather than later, unless you want to pull your boat out every day. And whaft fees have become very expensive. They now charge you for the slip length, not boat length. So if they have a 35' slip and your boat is 26', you are charged for 35'. I think it was around $1.10/' last year.

There is some other stuff. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers

SS
Old 02-29-2024, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yup....the island can be a pain in the butt to get on/off due to BC ferries scheduling issues etc...plus the cost....I would stick to drive to places just to minimize the headaches....don’t forget to latch the hatches.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 AM

Well I really appriciate everyones input and information...What I am getting honestly is that you have to try and book everything a year in advance and hope the 2 weeks you plan on are not a weather nightmare...then remortage the house to pay for everything...not to mention being prepared for the headache of all the other little parts getting a boat in and out of the water, finding a place to prep and pack fish. All when I can just hit a few keys on the computer and have 2 wonderful weeks of fishing in Coata Rica or Mexico for half the cost and none of the hassle....But I have to give it a go. So I'll take this year to figure it all out and maybe head out there for 2025!
Old 02-29-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well I really appriciate everyones input and information...What I am getting honestly is that you have to try and book everything a year in advance and hope the 2 weeks you plan on are not a weather nightmare...then remortage the house to pay for everything...not to mention being prepared for the headache of all the other little parts getting a boat in and out of the water, finding a place to prep and pack fish. All when I can just hit a few keys on the computer and have 2 wonderful weeks of fishing in Coata Rica or Mexico for half the cost and none of the hassle....But I have to give it a go. So I'll take this year to figure it all out and maybe head out there for 2025!
With the size of boat you have weather always plays a part but plenty of guys with way smaller boats fish out of Rupert. Usually you can at least get out to humpback if it's sporty out. Launching from Port Edward can always be an option depending on wind direction. Getting a proper anchor setup for Halibut would be important if I was planning though. Just something to consider.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
With the size of boat you have weather always plays a part but plenty of guys with way smaller boats fish out of Rupert. Usually you can at least get out to humpback if it's sporty out. Launching from Port Edward can always be an option depending on wind direction. Getting a proper anchor setup for Halibut would be important if I was planning though. Just something to consider.
Non-issue with anchor set up...and the Port Edward tip is great! Also knowingbthat even if the weather is trying to make things difficult, then there are still viable options! Thanks!! Hopefully 58th is taking notes...especially on the anchor part...cause that gonna be his responsibility!!....lol