Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
GMG all the way. Worth every cent. There customer service is unreal and the product is built to last a lifetime.

ALSO of note GMG chips are made from actual wood blends, maple, mesquite ect. Where as Traeger pellets are pretty much pelletized sawdust with liquid flavour mixed in.
As far as I know all pellets are basically sawdust doesn't matter about the manufacturer. They all use an oil of some kind to extrude the pellets through a die as far as I know. Traeger only uses flavoured oil in its Hickory and Mesquite pellets. All other pellets are pure hardwood just not mixed 100% to the species listed.

I won't cook with mesquite anyways. I'd rather use old power-poles to smoke with over damned mesquite.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
So I pulled the trigger on the GMG Daniel Boone Prime. Just gotta wait 3-4 weeks to get it now!

https://www.goparadisebay.com/bbq/pr...ime-grill.html
Congrats man, You're gonna love it. My 10-12 year old Traeger has seen so many pounds of carcass it boggles one's mind. Its amazing that my Traeger still runs without a repair all these years the way the internet crowd talks about them.

I think the GMG are great grilles.

To the Rec-Tec fans, have they fixed their hoppers so they can hold more than a handful of pellets yet? That was one of my biggest complaints about the Rec-Tec. It only held like half a bag of pellets. Maybe 5/8 of a bag of you ran the auger dry.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Congrats man, You're gonna love it. My 10-12 year old Traeger has seen so many pounds of carcass it boggles one's mind. Its amazing that my Traeger still runs without a repair all these years the way the internet crowd talks about them.

I think the GMG are great grilles.

To the Rec-Tec fans, have they fixed their hoppers so they can hold more than a handful of pellets yet? That was one of my biggest complaints about the Rec-Tec. It only held like half a bag of pellets. Maybe 5/8 of a bag of you ran the auger dry.
My RecTec holds 40lbs of pellets, which is twice what a majority of other pellet grills hold. It will likely depend on the model but mine holds 40lbs.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:58 PM

I have also been looking into a pellet smoker, which will be my first. This thread has been helpful and I'm pretty set on a Rec Tec.

Could you guys who have Rec Tec, GMG, Louisiana, etc.... post where you bought your unit from and your experience with the deal? I'm trying to support local as much as possible lately and I'm sure others are too.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
My RecTec holds 40lbs of pellets, which is twice what a majority of other pellet grills hold. It will likely depend on the model but mine holds 40lbs.
I believe it would be the older equivalent of their RT700. My buddy has one. The hopper is on the back of the grille and held 12 or 14 pounds. It was my only real complaint. Glad they changed that.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 PM

The older version of the RT 700 was the RT680 and I had one of those too. It had a 40lb hopper too, I sold t to a friend of mine. The little RT340 however has a smaller hopper but it’s a smaller smoker as well which is understandable as it’s a portable unit, which I have at the lake too.
RecTecs have been known to have the biggest hoppers but recently some competitors have finally added bigger ones to their fleet of grills.

Happy grilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
So I pulled the trigger on the GMG Daniel Boone Prime. Just gotta wait 3-4 weeks to get it now!

https://www.goparadisebay.com/bbq/pr...ime-grill.html
You’ll love it.

Make sure you actually read the manual front to back, there is lots of little tips and tricks with these.

There’s a few Facebook groups that are good to see what other guys are doing. One guy makes a second shelf that folds up and out of the way should you cook something big like a turkey. It’s going to be my next purchase.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The older version of the RT 700 was the RT680 and I had one of those too. It had a 40lb hopper too, I sold t to a friend of mine. The little RT340 however has a smaller hopper but it’s a smaller smoker as well which is understandable as it’s a portable unit, which I have at the lake too.
RecTecs have been known to have the biggest hoppers but recently some competitors have finally added bigger ones to their fleet of grills.

Happy grilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are the hoppers on the back of your Rec-tec’s as well? His was as big as my Texas elite so it was likely a rt680. Maybe I’m confusing the rec-Tec with another grill.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:37 PM

Yes the hopper is on the back of the grill. The older 680 had the orange lid, the new units are stainless with a black lid. On the small RT340, the hopper is on the side.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
As far as I know all pellets are basically sawdust doesn't matter about the manufacturer. They all use an oil of some kind to extrude the pellets through a die as far as I know. Traeger only uses flavoured oil in its Hickory and Mesquite pellets. All other pellets are pure hardwood just not mixed 100% to the species listed.

I won't cook with mesquite anyways. I'd rather use old power-poles to smoke with over damned mesquite.
I was just told by a Traeger rep. So just as far as he knows....
Old 05-20-2020, 08:48 PM

As said, not all pellets are created equal.

Supposedly lumberjack pellets are the best to use in the GMG’s. They are also 100% the wood that you want (Apple, hickory etc) where most other brand are usually a blend of oak and the desired wood. I need to find a dealer for lumberjack in red deer.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:39 AM

I just snagged a GMG Jim Bowie about two weeks ago. Seemed like some really good value for dollar and thus far, I have not been disappointed. I believe their app for connecting via Wifi could be a little bit more streamlined to set up but that being said, it’s pretty simple overall. Dual meat probes sure are nice. I’ve ran three different brands of pellets so far and no issues save one but it was no fault of the pellets. I had the grill at like 450F so it was using pellets pretty fast. When I turned it off I believe it had just filled the fire box and left a bunch in there while in fan mode to cool down. On start up the next day it filled the fire box again which overfilled and it wouldn’t ignite. A couple minutes and some pellets removed, I was running again and hasn’t missed a beat since.

I purchased from R&D Hot Tubs in Camrose. Very nice folks. I ended up buying a pellet grill and a new BBQ, plus kept $600 in my pocket vs buying the Traeger I was looking at. Seemed like a no brainer.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Bump
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd View Post
another vote for the GMG. I have the Prime and I got the pizza oven with it and the pizza comes out awesome.. if you pay attention, they cook quick
Best add on for the GMG. No need for take out pizzas anymore. I pulled my weber ng bbq off the deck today. Going to clean it up and sell it. Not going back.

Found some pork belly at costco this week. Will be smoking some bacon in 7 days.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Without a doubt yoder. Dont get a traeger if you want quality. https://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet/. Only two i would recommend is rec tec or yoder
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 PM

If Rectec was available in Canada I don’t think it would be much of a choice for me. But since they aren’t I am still considering them and a Green Mountain JB.

Decisions decisions.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I just snagged a GMG Jim Bowie about two weeks ago. I purchased from R&D Hot Tubs in Camrose. Very nice folks. I ended up buying a pellet grill and a new BBQ, plus kept $600 in my pocket vs buying the Traeger I was looking at. Seemed like a no brainer.
How much for the GMG Jim Bowie and how big is the cooking surface?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
If Rectec was available in Canada I don’t think it would be much of a choice for me. But since they aren’t I am still considering them and a Green Mountain JB.

Decisions decisions.
RecTec only sells direct. No dealer network. They sell to Canadians. Just call them up, and give them your credit card number. You’ll even get a t-shirt.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
RecTec only sells direct. No dealer network. They sell to Canadians. Just call them up, and give them your credit card number. You’ll even get a t-shirt.
Yeah they ship to the border which is great. My only concern is if I ever needed parts I would rather have a Canadian retailer than trying to get them shipped from the states. Or if I want accessories in the future it will cost me a lot more with our $ and shipping.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah they ship to the border which is great. My only concern is if I ever needed parts I would rather have a Canadian retailer than trying to get them shipped from the states. Or if I want accessories in the future it will cost me a lot more with our $ and shipping.
That is the exact situation the US customers face with a RecTec as well. And really no different from the other manufacturers. Most dealers don’t sell parts (accessories yes), so if you need a part it comes from the manufacturer anyways.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
They will ship directly to your house, not just the border. And their customer service is the best I have witnessed with any company. If you need a part, they will ship it to you direct, most likely free of charge. Their warranty is the best in the business. Trust me, you wont regret it.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
They will ship directly to your house, not just the border. And their customer service is the best I have witnessed with any company. If you need a part, they will ship it to you direct, most likely free of charge. Their warranty is the best in the business. Trust me, you wont regret it.
Good info! Thanks
Old 07-11-2020, 05:00 PM

I just picked up a vermont castings pellet smoker. i have never smoked anything before. Cant wait to try. Only problem is that no manual was included so im kind of shooting from the hip and the odd youtube video on the brand.(not much out there) I cant find a manual online also.

How much does wind effect the smoking process? I moved mine out of the wind as much as possible. I see that they also sell an insulated blanket you put on to retain more heat. Does anybody use one of them
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 07-11-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
I just picked up a vermont castings pellet smoker. i have never smoked anything before. Cant wait to try. Only problem is that no manual was included so im kind of shooting from the hip and the odd youtube video on the brand.(not much out there) I cant find a manual online also.

How much does wind effect the smoking process? I moved mine out of the wind as much as possible. I see that they also sell an insulated blanket you put on to retain more heat. Does anybody use one of them
I only use my blanket on extremely windy days when it’s cooler or raining and when it gets under say 5-10C. Otherwise the blanket stays off. Mine is not a Vermont castings.