Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Scope for 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm wanting to put a new scope on my rifle, I want to be able to shoot up to 500 yds and maybe some bench rest shooting. I have narrowed it down to the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56mm and the Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56mm. The features of each as far as I can see are pretty close except that the Nightforce weighs considerably more which isn't that big of an issue to me but it also is quite a bit more expensive. Looking for opinions from people who have had any of the ATACR series or the Mark 5 series scopes.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Banned

One id look at is the nightforce nx8
Lighter cheaper smaller package etc
2.5-20 would be plenty
Lots of options out there
Old 07-07-2020, 02:17 PM

That is some fancy hardware
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 PM

The atacr is top of the line for nightforce. Think top of the line shooters worldwide using this product shooting 2000 +yards

Leupold introduced the mark5hd as scope with all the needed features after making a few that were more expensive and less popular such as the mark6 line..

Excellent service from both companies

I would base my choice on reticles and price and handling of both if possible. With 500 yards being the target distance I would go with the mark5hd and spend the extra on 1000 rounds of ammo.

Would even highly consider a 3.5-18 series scope

Those 1000 rounds will teach you more about shooting than the difference in scopes ever will.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 PM

I own a Mark 5 and I can’t believe the thought put into it. I really like how the elevation turret is laid out. I have the TMR reticle in it because it’s the same reticle in my other Leupold long range scope. I remember seeing a mark 6 HD for sale in the optic section. Could be a route to look at, my other scope is a Leupold vx 3i LRP ffp 8.5-25x50 and I have it on a .308, it tracks just as accurate and I’ve shot it out to 1000m.

I haven’t shot a NightForce, I have considered one but bought the Mark 5 as well, also got a great price on it for being new. Neerlandia coop has a few on the shelf as well if you want to go look at one in person. P and D also has one but it’s a
7-35 I think.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 PM

I love my Swarovski Z3 bt ... lightweight and incredible glass for the price ..shooting great groups out to 500 with tikka 7
Old 07-07-2020, 11:28 PM

In my humble opinion both are way more glass(magnification) than what's needed for 500. I'm a leupold fan boy and would tell you to go that way, but I'd be hesitant to go over 15x magnification for the range you are looking for. Like others have said, put that money into ammo and become a better shooter. I'd also go Leopold because they service everything in okotoks and it adds great jobs to Alberta.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post
In my humble opinion both are way more glass(magnification) than what's needed for 500. I'm a leupold fan boy and would tell you to go that way, but I'd be hesitant to go over 15x magnification for the range you are looking for. Like others have said, put that money into ammo and become a better shooter. I'd also go Leopold because they service everything in okotoks and it adds great jobs to Alberta.
I agree with you even 10 is enough.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:41 AM

As much as I don’t like the 6.5 cm, it is a great caliber for growing with. First weekend with the proper scope on it will be ringing steel at 500. Next weekend could easily be a 1000. Getting one of the two mentioned scopes won’t hold anyone back when they’re getting into long range marksmanship.

That being said, you can easily shoot 1000 with a 10x scope. I leave my .308 on 15 power for majority of distances, only go past that to look at targets or groups.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the input. I do already have scopes with lower power that cost me less and I thought the clarity and power was fine until I shot someone else's rifle with a Leupold Mark5HD at even only 100yds. I really liked how clear it was even at low light conditions and the reticle was a lot finer so I was able to hold on target better and see how much I was actually moving. The way I look at it is if my scope is powered to 25x and I want to shoot it at 10x or 15x I can still do that, but I also have the option to go higher. When is the last time anyone said to themselves "I wish I would have bought the cheaper item with the lower quality" I am hoping to buy a scope that I will not ever want to replace.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPHunter64 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I do already have scopes with lower power that cost me less and I thought the clarity and power was fine until I shot someone else's rifle with a Leupold Mark5HD at even only 100yds. I really liked how clear it was even at low light conditions and the reticle was a lot finer so I was able to hold on target better and see how much I was actually moving. The way I look at it is if my scope is powered to 25x and I want to shoot it at 10x or 15x I can still do that, but I also have the option to go higher. When is the last time anyone said to themselves "I wish I would have bought the cheaper item with the lower quality" I am hoping to buy a scope that I will not ever want to replace.
You’re right.

That’s where I was before I bought my mark 5, I was thinking another LRP but then I got a price on a mark 5 and said, I spend the extra cash now I’ll have no need to upgrade. Good luck with the purchase, report back when you have pictures and the scope.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I am of the same opinion. Always buy the very best you can afford, even if it hurts a little at the time. Even my hunting rifle has a Swaro 3.5x18x44 on it. You can always turn them down, but great glass is well worth the price. Between the two, I am a big Leupold fan for many things but I would go Nightforce if you are going to be doing a lot of dialing and it is predominantly a target gun. NF are heavy scopes for a very good reason.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Another tip, if you go Leupold, buy it in mils. Leupold makes there MOA .25 a click, when true MOA is .26 a click.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:22 PM

I finally made a decision and bought the Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 x 56mm with a tremor 3 reticle. The clarity of this scope is unbelievable and the reticle is so precise and fine, it makes shooting so much more enjoyable. So far I have only shot it at 100yds to zero the scope, bore sighted it on the bench. First 2 shots were high and right, 3 clicks both directions and the next 5 shots are in the center all connecting.

Last edited by GSPHunter64; 07-27-2020 at 06:24 PM. Reason: pictures didn't attach
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I finally made a decision and bought the Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 x 56mm with a tremor 3 reticle. The clarity of this scope is unbelievable and the reticle is so precise and fine, it makes shooting so much more enjoyable. So far I have only shot it at 100yds to zero the scope, bore sighted it on the bench. First 2 shots were high and right, 3 clicks both directions and the next 5 shots are in the center all connecting.
Scope looks good and that combo shoots great too. Even has the bolt on the correct side. You will have lots of fun stretching it legs at long distance.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:

That’s awesome! Great shooting, what ammo was that, factory or reloads or?
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 PM

Awesome shooting. Great scope. Leupold came out with that scope in the past couple years, putting together everything one needs into 1 userfriendly price competitively package.

A friend has the same rifle in rh, I can only hope his shoots like yours.

Try 1 click right
Old 07-27-2020, 08:08 PM

I recently bought aa very nice M70 Winchester in 308 thta was useed for F/TR out to 1,000 meters.
The glass that was on it is a Mk5 Leupold straight 16X with a 1/8MOA target dot.
Works very well, even for someone like myself who prefers to shoot irons even at that range.
From 500 inside with a 10X and a turret you can go anywhere you want from 100 to 500 with ease.
Pick the glass with the best clarity that you can afford I always say.
Cat
Old 07-27-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
That’s awesome! Great shooting, what ammo was that, factory or reloads or?
It's a hand load, new Lapua brass, Lapua 136gr Scenar-L bullets, 40.7 gn of Hodgon H4350 powder. Not the fastest load but for my gun it is so far the most accurate, I'm hoping the second time I use the brass it will be even better.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
It's a hand load, new Lapua brass, Lapua 136gr Scenar-L bullets, 40.7 gn of Hodgon H4350 powder. Not the fastest load but for my gun it is so far the most accurate, I'm hoping the second time I use the brass it will be even better.
That’s a great combo, I hear a lot of guys running the 136 scenars and H4350. Great job again, enjoy the new rig.