Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Default Bored at work

I have a job where I have an office, but like to get out in the yard or on the floor for about half the day usually. Not when it's -43 though! What do you guys do when it's -40, & don't want to leave the office. I'm losing my mind in boredom.... Can only search the news and this site so much....
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Banned

A flask with scotch.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Sometimes, I'll actually work......
Old 02-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Banned

This forum. Other forums. I try to bank work for days like these.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Say your headed out for lunch and never return.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Don't know what you do for a living but thinking up a new project, service or product for your company is always helpful. Trying to figure out where your business will and/or should be 3 years down the road and starting to work towards that. Contact some potential new clients and set up some meetings to discuss their needs. Work on collecting your outstanding receivables.

Try to figure out how to add value with the spare time you have. Lots of good stuff to do on office days that will actually make your business better, or make you far more valuable if you are an employee.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sometimes, I'll actually work......
Don't get caught! It might become an expectation....

I was actually trained to not work, no joke. I was told by my boss that I am paid for a certain role, to go outside of that role to help out, is frowned upon.
I'm QA/QC for a production welding shop FWIW. I actually got in trouble for jumping on the tools in the past when it was slow. Big company, over a billion per year big.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 02-05-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM

40 below is the perfect time to get out on the floor or the yard and see what the working stiff has to deal with when it's not a perfect rose colored glasses day .
Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Then I would strongly suggest you take your free time and seriously look for a job where you can earn good pay but also make a real difference. I cannot imagine working for 35 years at a mind numbing job where my talents were of no use to the people I work with.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 PM

Knitting, crocheting, make sculptures in plasticine, desktop silversmithing, songwriting, learn harmonica, online poker tournaments, leather work or beading, online education courses, whittling, creative dance with the secretary, fly tying, self tattooing and maybe even some work related upgrading.

Get an big aquarium stocked with a variety of fish for the office and go fishing with a light micro rod, spool of thread and a size 18 wet fly.

If we would only give the same amount of thought to what we want to get out of life as we give to the thoughts of fishing, hunting and recreating, we would be startled at how aimless our days at work are.~Red Bullets
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
40 below is the perfect time to get out on the floor or the yard and see what the working stiff has to deal with when it's not a perfect rose colored glasses day .
We managed to get the big guy from down east to do a ride along. One trip out to the mines and everyone got raises. And that was on a rose colored sun-shiney day.

Colin
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Youtube. Sometimes it fun to see where the automatic play lists take you. You can plan home projects. I have considered learning Spanish online. Build wish lists on Amazon.
I'm in the same boat as you, currently I do 2-5 minutes of work every 30 minutes. Been doing it for almost 3 months now. Hopefully this project will end soon and I can do something decent again. I can't even clean, just sit and wait.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I have a job where I have an office, but like to get out in the yard or on the floor for about half the day usually. Not when it's -43 though! What do you guys do when it's -40, & don't want to leave the office. I'm losing my mind in boredom.... Can only search the news and this site so much....
YouTube all the way
Old 02-08-2019, 06:49 AM

Same here. I do a bit of Youtube and I am also a book person, so when I have a break at work I usually read or I go to our gym at the office for just little workout run, just for recreation because I am sitting all day!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I dont have -40 outside to be honest but I also work at office and from time to time I have to rest. so I ask couple of my colleges and we go together to our office café downstairs. It is the kind of work where you need quiet and friendly environment so for most of the time you dont speak with almost anyone. So this kind of break is very refreshing!