Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Cow Lake

Went up to Cow yesterday for a few hours (had a flat in the morning, took some time getting out of town). We were hoping for perch but couldn't find them, talked to some guys on the ice and they said that they spawn in february so that's the time to go. Anyone know if it's worth the trip? I was pretty bummed about driving 2+ hrs from calgary for small pike lol
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM

cow used to be awesome for perch 5-8 years ago. Then for some reason they released a bunch of pike in there. Now all I ever catch or see in camera is a couple fish a day, used to catch around 120 perch in a group of 5-6 people.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM

yep cow went to ****t....
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

AGREED. get more action out of prairie creek in the summer and thats not saying much!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Was at Cow today for 5 hours, saw 3 pike on the camera and some very small perch. The pike were more interested in the camera. Did have 2 take, one broke off and the other spit out the hook. Big trucks were backing up at the day use site picking up water. This went on all day.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Perch are a prey species that have evolved to be at or near the bottom of the food chain.

That means they have a huge reproductive capacity. They lay loads and loads of eggs so that at least some will survive to breed.

Some years ago in Cow the numbers of perch hit the carrying capacity of the lake and the thousands and thousands of perch were eating anything that swam or wiggled in the lake.

F&W put pike in the lake to eat perch so there would be less perch in the lake and more pike meat. With reduced numbers the perch should grow bigger with more feed. Meanwhile the pike are successfully spawning and the pike are growing bigger.

In the summer time a lot of anglers are going to Cow to fish for big pike. In particular there seems to be a lot of people fly fishing pike there.

If you enjoyed going there and catching hundreds of little perch you may think things have changed for the worst.

If you have cast a big streamer there and stripped it in till an 8 or 10 lb. pike smashed it, you may like the management change.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...

Tags
cow lake, perch, skunked