Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 12:01 PM

Default whitefish in Alberta lake

Over the years, I saw most veteran anglers love to catch whitefish when out for ice fishing. However, I feel the fish management in Alberta only focusing the population of walleyes and pikes. You can easily find the FIN data on government's website for walleyes and pikes, but not the whitefish. Another example is they dumped tons of walleye into Wabamun lake and caused a disaster for the fish ecosystem of that lake. Such a big lake only produce tiny walleyes these days! The big big pike is gone and there are very scarce number of whitefish left. Can anyone tell me the reason behind it? Is it just because fish management need money by selling tags of walleye?
Old 03-02-2024, 12:25 PM

It is because Alberta angler cry and scream for more, more and more walleye. Why? Because that is what the guys on TV fish for I guess.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-02-2024, 03:22 PM

That’s what it seems but they do protect and manage the other fish species. Seems like some lakes are more popular for testing than others tho that’s for sure. More resources and body’s working in that industry would sure help out the situation with more lakes being netted and tested from bios and fish and feathers.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:39 PM

For sure. I also see lots of reactive decision rather then being proactive. I personally would like to see more slot sizes on walleye lakes around Edmonton instead of walleye tags but that is just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
For sure. I also see lots of reactive decision rather then being proactive. I personally would like to see more slot sizes on walleye lakes around Edmonton instead of walleye tags but that is just my opinion.
I agree I would like to see more slot size implemented on the lakes also but I would like to see proper slot sizes for the lakes also so that depends on the average size of a walleye in that specific lake. Example calling lake 45-55cm a great slot for that lake. Slave lake 45-50cm slot not the best slot for that lake with most fish are over 50cm in the lake.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I third that comment. Slot limits are the best practice to manage predator fish.
Any over abundance of a species is harder on the other species in the water body.