Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Cardiff Pond

Thinking of heading out there tomorrow and was wondering what the fishing there is like? I've read some of the older posts saying it was great for casual trout and perch fishing and great for kids. What condition is the pond in at this time of the year and also are there any extra regulations with this pond such as fishing times etc.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM

wouldnt bother. no extra regs. no perch, no big rainbows due to winterkill. i live 5 min away, caught some of this yrs stocked trout but theyre small, 5-7 inches and getting hit really hard by the "kill everything to get a limit" crowd
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM

damn, thanks for the heads up any suggestions on a good spot with a similar distance from edmonton?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Banned

fished cardiff twice this week and both days caught close to 30 small stockers in a matter of hours. did however catch two larger ones so pond did not winterkill, or at least not totally. iv'e been told it is very deep in spots (100 ft.) and if thats true hard to imagine it winterkilled. thats one pond worth aerating.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM

thats a lie, you catch a few odd ones, but dont waste your time with that boring place
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM

I've been going for the last few weeks.. They were slamming my red, yellow and silver panther martin, but in 10 fish I've not seen anything over 8 inches so I stopped using it. I also would like to find a good trout spot about the same distance from Edmonton. Anyone try beaumont or Leduc?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM

X2 on the aeration, it would produce monsters. it is deep in spots but does partially (mostly) winterkill, and did 2010 and 2011, seen em dead in the spring close to the bank. i asked on here a while back if anyone was catching perch and got no replies. there are some 2in perch in the shallows so maybe in a couple yrs it will get back to what it was.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM

I've not seen any perch, but have only been a handful of times.