Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Home schooling Question

How many here have home schooled their children? I have noticed alot of friends have pulled there kids from school and started homeschooling, main reason being bullying and the schools doing nothing about it. I imagine it is not easy and I always wondered if the child will receive enough interaction. I imagine once they join sports and such they will make friends. I want the best life I can for my girls. I was bullied when I was young, then I hit a growth spurt, joined boxing and wrestling and the tables turned but I think its a different ballgame for girls.

Just curious about other parents experiences and how they dealt with it. My girls will be in sports including some sort of martial art.

Maybe let the girls go to school and see how it goes from their? My oldest will be in kindergarten in the fall. She is in pre-k now and just loves going to school. Already had bullying issues but the teacher is good and took care of that instantly.

Would love to hear others experiences on this subject.

thanks,

Troutbug
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

All this crap about bullying has to come to a end.
Same amount of jerks in school today as when I was in school and when my dad was in school.

Teach your kids to deal with it.

I am so sick of the bullying word. Every kid who has a bad day at school thinks they were bullied. The parents are just useing the word as a excuse.

Find a way to deal with the problems, teach your kids to have self respect and respect for others. Chances are things will turn out ok.

Socialization and problem solving are part of growing up. You can't get the same experiance sitting at home.

Good luck
Jamie
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
All this crap about bullying has to come to a end.
Same amount of jerks in school today as when I was in school and when my dad was in school.

Teach your kids to deal with it.

I am so sick of the bullying word. Every kid who has a bad day at school thinks they were bullied. The parents are just useing the word as a excuse.

Find a way to deal with the problems, teach your kids to have self respect and respect for others. Chances are things will turn out ok.

Socialization and problem solving are part of growing up. You can't get the same experiance sitting at home.

Good luck
Jamie
agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kids cant sort anything out for themselves anymore
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM

+2

Anyone I know that was home skuled has parents with issues. Plus, kids need to be in school, they need to learn to get along with other kids older and younger.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
+2

Anyone I know that was home skuled has parents with issues. Plus, kids need to be in school, they need to learn to get along with other kids older and younger.
X3.

Life and social skills are learned in school.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 PM

I kinda figured id get theae replies lol. Was more curious as to what the problems would be if a person did honeschool. Growing up some did good. Some did bad.

My little one loves school and interacting but I was still curious as alot of parents are doing the homeschool thing and I wanted more opinions on it
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM

i think if i were to home school i would have a difficult time trying to keep the kids focused long enough to actually learn anything, to many distractions at home, as for main school kids well be kids and things happen but they usually work out in the end, i think the worst cases would be high school, this may be were parents more often home school, but i flopped high school so i went make a very good teacher
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I agree with Jamie. Of course there are exceptions and a real bully needs to be dealt with. Depending on the kid. I have no issue with home schooling.

I think it would be easy. Especially with access to AO. We have experts on everything under the sun standing by to take your call.

Oh. none of us actually have any formal training or expertise in the subject we are expressing our opinion about, but that does not mean you can disagree with us. It's our right to be wrong. and it's also our right to express an opinion on anything and everything in the universe.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
X3.

Nice generalization there Ali#1. As per usual, I find your comment uniformed and underwhelming (unless you have something specific that is???). Get that post count up at all costs!!!!!

I do have a specific comment here - have an aquaitance whose wife home schooled their two children through most of their learning years. The mother is a university educated professional and worked part time while home schooling. Both kids are normal, happy, intelligent, have a wide circle of quality friends and are very well adjusted people. While growing up they were sucessful amateur athletes, received academic/sports scholarships to good schools in the US after high school, both particpated in varisty sports while at University, one completed his undergrad and Masters degress and the second is now pursuing a PhD. They are both well on their way to being very sucessful people.

Their parents are kind, normal, highly intelligent people who decided the school system was not challenging their children enough and had enough of large class sizes and weak cirriculum. Home schooling does work for some people and in some situations. Children do not in all cases need to attend public schools to develop into "normal" people as they mature.

Alba gu brath!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 PM

I find people don't really know what the word bullying means.

Bullying is repeated specific negative behaviour against someone. Not a dictionary deifnition by any means, but people forget "repeated". Jon punching bob in the head on the swings isn't always bullying..

"picked on" might be a better term. To me picked on means more or less a single incident. "Little jonny was picked on by a older boy today at recess"

I can almost promise you every single person on AO has bullied/picked on someone and has been bullied/picked on in at least a very minor degree. It's wasn't the end of the world for us, its part of growing up and learning
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
Nice generalization there Ali#1. As per usual, I find your comment uniformed and underwhelming (unless you have something specific that is???). Get that post count up at all costs!!!!!

I do have a specific comment here - have an aquaitance whose wife home schooled their two children through most of their learning years. The mother is a university educated professional and worked part time while home schooling. Both kids are normal, happy, intelligent, have a wide circle of quality friends and are very well adjusted people. While growing up they were sucessful amateur athletes, received academic/sports scholarships to good schools in the US after high school, both particpated in varisty sports while at University, one completed his undergrad and Masters degress and the second is now pursuing a PhD. They are both well on their way to being very sucessful people.

Their parents are kind, normal, highly intelligent people who decided the school system was not challenging their children enough and had enough of large class sizes and weak cirriculum. Home schooling does work for some people and in some situations. Children do not in all cases need to attend public schools to develop into "normal" people as they mature.
I guess we don't need to interact with people to learn interaction skills.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 PM

As someone in the "business" I get frustrated by the public's and media's obsession with bullying. I had a set of parents contact me one time to complain that their grade 12 daughter was being "repeatedly and mercilessly bullied" by three other girls. Their crimes? They didn't invite the 4th girl with them when they went to the movies and shopping on the weekends. They had a party at their house and did not invite the 4th girl. One of the three would never speak to the 4th. Why? Because she didn't like her and chose not to interact with her. Nobody said an unkind word to #4 and nobody went out of their way to ostracize her. They just did not want her to be a part of their group. The parents couldn't accept that all kids have a right to decide who they will associate with. We had to publish a guide with specific examples as to what was bullying and what wasn't. Then there are the parents who expect that the first time they bring an issue forward that it should mean the immediate expulsion of the accused -- even if they only have hearsay evidence.

As for home schooling, it works with some. Home-schoolers typically take longer to graduate high school. I typically see a lot of home schooled kids returning to public school around grade 9 or 10 when the math gets more difficult. They usually have trouble because Mommy has never been a great math person and hasn't given it any attention over the previous decade and even online learning is only good for a very small minority of students.

In one extreme case I know of, a parent did all of her daughters work for 11 years and then put her back into school in grade 12. The daughter tested out at a grade 3 reading level and despite getting 90's on all of her take-home work, couldn't crack the 25% level on school based exams and the Diplomas. It was the school's fault of course because Princess had been academically flawless until she got to school.

Send your kids to school. If it goes south, you know that home schooling is still an option. We took our own son out of the system for a few months to help fix a specific learning disability that the system did not have the resources to address. It cost us a lot of money but it worked because we paid for the one to one time with a teacher that the school system simply can't give. He's been back in the public system for the 6 years since and is flying high. It doesn't always have to be an either/or situation.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post

I would like to echo the above comments - my wife and her sister were both home-schooled, and I have a number of friends who educated their (now grown) children at home and found it to be a very successful endeavour. I have two children and my wife and I will be homeschooling them in the hopes of exceeding the standards within the classrooms in my community. I look at it much like I look at hunting - it's really an effort to take away the "middle-man" and take ownership for the quality of the end product. The meat we eat on our table is verified high-quality because I took ownership and did all the work myself. If it ends up badly - I own the blame as well. With homeschooling you take ownership for the curriculum and don't blame someone else for your child's performance. I personally don't believe even one teacher loves my children as much as I do (though I respect them for the work they do), or cares more about their individual success. As long as you understand the commitment involved - I think you should step up and go for it!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 PM

You don't need school to learn interaction. His post answers your question or comment when he says they did sports which is interaction with other kids.

The funny thing is with all you out doors guys, school is heavily influenced by the government and what they want to brain wash you with, ie: guns are evil, don't stand up for yourself, hunting is bad, the list goes on., home school you can teach them how it really is and how to survive in the world but instead you will let your kids be brain washed because you think the kids will be "weird" because they aren't "socialized", yea I said it, flame on.

Oh and the fact that it's 35kids to 1teacher so if your kid has a tough time on a subject and gets looked over because schools are over crowded they suffer the consequences. Homeschool is one on one, which is the best way to learn anything.

Last edited by zero; 03-02-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
+2

That's a pretty ingnorant comment. We have home schooled our three kids, and I would bet that you couldn't hold a candle to them in education, intelligence, knowledge or social skills.

Just to enlighten you, parents that homeschool their kids, generally take more of an interest/concern in their kids education/upbring than most. It's very easy and financially beneficial to just drop them at the door of an institution and let others take over, and high ho, high ho, off to work. On here, is it not the bane of society that parents are not fulfilling their proper roles of educating and teach morals and ethic to their kids? Do you think that comes froma classroom or the peer pressure group smoking behind the gym?? Do you think it wise to work all day and leave your kids education/training/schooling to a teacher with his/her own views/agenda?

Before you spout off, check out some stats. 80% of homeschooled kids go on to post secondary wheresas only 20% of non-homeschooled kids do so. That's a telling stat.

And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. There's a saying I have always liked....."If you think education is too expensive, you should try ingnorance."

So to classify parents of home school kids as having issues, it's a statement of the issues you have.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
X3.

And based on the limit of your thinking, the wisdom of posts ( sic), and the brilliance of your social interaction, let me know when you begin high school. I look forward to when you can hold your own.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Default Home schooling

I used to be opposed to home schooling, not anymore. My kids do very well in school and often complain about not being challenged enough. They also complain about the behaviour of the unruly kids in class, the teachers are powerless to do anything with these kids. We spend about a thousand bucks a month on extra tutoring, private lessons etc. to keep the kids focused and challenged.

The kids that I've known who were home schooled could easily get their work don't in 3 hours per day, that's how much time is wasted in school. So after the three hours doing work the home schooled kids can go to extracurricular activities; sports, acting lessons, art lessons, music etc. These additional lessons are tax deductible for parents and often are at a much higher level than offered by over worked under funded teachers in the school system.

So if we think that interacting with a bunch of idiotic kids in school is somehow teaching our kids much about the real world I think we're fooling ourselves.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcop669 View Post
I would like to echo the above comments - my wife and her sister were both home-schooled, and I have a number of friends who educated their (now grown) children at home and found it to be a very successful endeavour. I have two children and my wife and I will be homeschooling them in the hopes of exceeding the standards within the classrooms in my community. I look at it much like I look at hunting - it's really an effort to take away the "middle-man" and take ownership for the quality of the end product. The meat we eat on our table is verified high-quality because I took ownership and did all the work myself. If it ends up badly - I own the blame as well. With homeschooling you take ownership for the curriculum and don't blame someone else for your child's performance. I personally don't believe even one teacher loves my children as much as I do (though I respect them for the work they do), or cares more about their individual success. As long as you understand the commitment involved - I think you should step up and go for it!
Why do you think that you give up ownership if you send them to school? To control the message kids get? I WANT my kids exposed to ideas different from mine.

Not one teacher loves your child as much as you do -- nor should they. That said, that means they may a little more objective as to your child's gifts and difficulties.

As for stepping up and going for it? Evaluate your child. Do they make friends easily or are they shy and withdrawn. If the latter, a few more years at home with scheduled "play dates" might ease them into school. If they are a social butterfly, you had better have a plethora of activities planned for them outside of the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
You don't need school to learn interaction. His post answers your question or comment when he says they did sports which is interaction with other kids.

The funny thing is with all you out doors guys, school is heavily influenced by the government and what they want to brain wash you with, ie: guns are evil, don't stand up for yourself, hunting is bad, the list goes on., home school you can teach them how it really is and how to survive in the world but instead you will let your kids be brain washed because you think the kids will be "weird" because they aren't "socialized", yea I said it, flame on.
Again, the studies show that home schooling works for a very select subset of kids -- those who are independently driven, are highly self confident and have parents who are of above average academic ability yet choose to have at least one parent stay at home. The average home-schooler tends to be less likely to take the full load of math and science courses in high school because the specialization isn't available at home.

Social aspects aside, home schooling is not the solution for the majority but a select few.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM

Anti-bullying wear a pink shirt to school day recently.. We're raising a generation of *******.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Anti-bullying wear a pink shirt to school day recently.. We're raising a generation of *******.
yup last Thursday
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So a pink shirt makes you a *****? You obviously missed the point.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
What's the purpose of getting little boys to wear pink? Did the little girls have to wear any traditional "boys" colors?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
u missed the point...I want my boy to be a man and my girl to be a girl. he shouldn't have to wear pink and hold hands to prove he isn't an a@@ but I want him to solve his own issues and learn life skills. if not his teacher will have to come on here in ten years and stand up for him
Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
What's the purpose of getting little boys to wear pink? Did the little girls have to wear any traditional "boys" colors?
The point was to show that pink isn't just a girls colour and that you shouldn't be crapped on for wearing it. Girls can wear any color they want to without repercussion. Why can't boys? Unless you think the colour of clothing can alter sexual orientation.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
u missed the point...I want my boy to be a man and my girl to be a girl. he shouldn't have to wear pink and hold hands to prove he isn't an a@@ but I want him to solve his own issues and learn life skills. if not his teacher will have to come on here in ten years and stand up for him
No one HAS to wear pink. Has your child's school demanded that he come to school in pink clothing?

If he did, would that threaten his manhood? Or more importantly, yours?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No one HAS to wear pink. Has your child's school demanded that he come to school in pink clothing?

If he did, would that threaten his manhood? Or more importantly, yours?
anyways, i'm going to bed..

dress your boy up in a dress tomorrow for school if you'd like.. what does it matter?????????

sigh
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
anyways, i'm going to bed..

dress your boy up in a dress tomorrow for school if you'd like.. what does it matter?????????

sigh
My son has a pink shirt. He has a full set of camo waterfowling gear, a deer parka, a .308 and a .12 gauge. He's shot two deer in his two years of eligibility and about 100 waterfowl. He's top of his class at school and is a certified marksman in air cadets -- yet you focus on the pink. Yeah, you'd better sleep it off.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM

Wouldn't my son wearing a pink shirt. What does that say? I think I would like to raise him that he's manly enough to wear pink and not worry about it. Wear what you dig boys, don't worry about what the other kids are wearing if it's for something legit, that's troubling.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 AM

The worst part of home schooling is that you have to go to your parents house for your 10 and 25 year alumni school reunions.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
How many here have home schooled their children? I have noticed alot of friends have pulled there kids from school and started homeschooling, main reason being bullying and the schools doing nothing about it. I imagine it is not easy and I always wondered if the child will receive enough interaction. I imagine once they join sports and such they will make friends. I want the best life I can for my girls. I was bullied when I was young, then I hit a growth spurt, joined boxing and wrestling and the tables turned but I think its a different ballgame for girls.

Just curious about other parents experiences and how they dealt with it. My girls will be in sports including some sort of martial art.

Maybe let the girls go to school and see how it goes from their? My oldest will be in kindergarten in the fall. She is in pre-k now and just loves going to school. Already had bullying issues but the teacher is good and took care of that instantly.

Would love to hear others experiences on this subject.

thanks,

Troutbug
Are your girls currently in school and experiencing "bullying" or are you just assuming that at some point they will be "bullied" to the extent that homeschooling is a consideration?

I think you should try to involve your daughters in as much group activity as possible, whether that be sports, girl guides, library programs, etc. The more time spent around their peers, the better opportunity they have to establish strong friendships; friendships in my opinion being the best "bullying" deterrent.

Martial arts and boxing may have worked for you but personally, I'd recommend team sports. As I mentioned previously, they'll have the best opportunity to establish friendships in a large group. Besides, I simply don't understand how taking tae kwon do lessons will alleviate any bullying, and even if it did, it doesn't establish any type of interaction with their peers.
Closed Thread