Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Great post, Crunchie.
thank you..

honestly this is just the thin end of the wedge, it seems everyday I see something that annoys the hell out of me when it comes to police, government and politics here. For such a great country, it does seem to be spiralling downwards at a great rate the last year or two.

the ultimate irony of the whole firearms act is it does nothing at all for safety. I can go and buy from the store in Calgary an almost identical rifle, the Famae 542 rifles, or even one in a more powerful calibre (.308) and thats fine. but the swiss arms, which has never ever ever been used in a crime is more dangerous???
also if I want a relatively low powered pistol calibre MP5 that is also too dangerous. which is funny, as in all the years i carried one in the police it didn't hurt me or anyone else once. mine must have been defective.
but it's all ok because everyone knows the prohib list guns are 50 times more dangerous because they were in Jane's big bad book, and Jane was bad too you know!
Banned

Cool

Again with the selector switch, so its ...oh ten parts from fully auto. Give or take without having handling the rifle tough sell. I dont like the idea of blanket flip flop on a rifles classification then again a selector switch has no place on a civilian fire arm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Have you actually studied why the rifle has been reclassified. ? There is some background info , if you care to look. Not saying I support the decision , further investigation is required. One has to ask why a semi auto would go for 3-4 g convertability ??
X2 ^

I'm not knocking anyone here (I feel the same), but I'd like to know the 'full' story before I march down to my MPs office and raise hell.

How does one get the total scoop on this?

Mac
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
X2 ^

I'm not knocking anyone here (I feel the same), but I'd like to know the 'full' story before I march down to my MPs office and raise hell.

How does one get the total scoop on this?

Mac
read the FRT where it tells you exactly why..

it's nothing to do with it being able to be converted, its just because they were able to scrape together just enough evidence to say it's a variant of the SG550 which is prohib by name..

just like they did with the GSG .22lr MP5 look alike. it shares no parts or functions with an mp5, but because it looks like one of those horrible scary guns it must be banned.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again with the selector switch, so its ...oh ten parts from fully auto. Give or take without having handling the rifle tough sell. I dont like the idea of blanket flip flop on a rifles classification then again a selector switch has no place on a civilian fire arm .
are you serious? it can not be converted to FA, even the RCMP aren't saying that..

don't you see, its this today, all semi auto tomorrow, anything with a magazine next week..

how does a selector switch make it more dangerous? If someone gets shot with a bolt action single shot are they less dead than if killed by a semi auto?
its a two position switch, safe, or fire, no different to any other firearm.
if you expand your argument why do any civilians need guns at all.
in fact, expand it further, why do you need more than 60hp in your car..

it doesn't matter what gun i have, I'm not going to rush out and shoot people. the tool is not the problem.

why don't you support your fellow gun owner, otherwise yours will be next..
no wonder the country is on it's ass, divided we fall......
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is tough to call. is the chassis a converted fullauto mil arm (as has been suggested in article) or is the rifle a purpose built semi auto.
If as has been alleged a fullauto conversion slipped through the system. is it not reasonable that others may have ? It would appear if as alledged the rifle in question is a few parts from fullauto .
Saying they "just " reclassified the rifle is not quite the facts now is it lads . There is a rhyme and reason behind the reclassification if as alleged the rifle never really fell inline with legislative outlines.
Yes grey the world is in league to over throw western canada ??? Now even the prime minister is joining the league. Lol
Who cares?
Folks own full auto now and they have for years.

The issue is not the weapon or its capability.
The issue is that after being examined under a microscope and found to be fine... someone decides to change the rules so that we still fall short of being worthy of their trust.

Its crap.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Oh Wow, a selector switch.Your statements above, about a selector switch are nothing short of assinine. So just how easy do you think that it would be, for a genius like you to convert one of these rifles to full auto?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-27-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is tough to call. is the chassis a converted fullauto mil arm (as has been suggested in article) or is the rifle a purpose built semi auto.
If as has been alleged a fullauto conversion slipped through the system. is it not reasonable that others may have ? It would appear if as alledged the rifle in question is a few parts from fullauto .
Saying they "just " reclassified the rifle is not quite the facts now is it lads . There is a rhyme and reason behind the reclassification if as alleged the rifle never really fell inline with legislative outlines.
Yes grey the world is in league to over throw western canada ??? Now even the prime minister is joining the league. Lol
Quote:
Have you actually studied why the rifle has been reclassified. ? There is some background info , if you care to look. Not saying I support the decision , further investigation is required. One has to ask why a semi auto would go for 3-4 g convertability ??
Quote:

I do not know you, but do respect your input.
I do believe you are wrong in your interpretation.
I will never be able to debate you, I am weak.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oh Wow, a selector switch.Your statements above, about a selector switch are nothing short of assinine. So just how easy do you think that it would be, for a genius like you to convert one of these rifles to full auto?
Have not held the weapon , but as stated ten parts would get her close see that little switch cams a sear that sear has a radius. Old FN takes 30 min tops but then I got to play with them for years. Its all relitive . The reclassification was started as one company claimed they received an Sg that was the full tommy converted into a semi auto not a manufactured semi auto see the differance. Hay law abiding gun owners have to follow the law.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have not held the weapon , but as stated ten parts would get her close see that little switch cams a sear that sear has a radius. Old FN takes 30 min tops but then I got to play with them for years. Its all relitive . The reclassification was started as one company claimed they received an Sg that was the full tommy converted into a semi auto not a manufactured semi auto see the differance. Hay law abiding gun owners have to follow the law.
again, you are wrong, go read the FRT.. not once have the RCMP said its a converted auto, or able to be converted.

and the one that the scumbag business owner thought was a converted auto, wasn't..

so by your logic anything with a selector switch is easy to convert full auto...
lol.. ok... you do realize its just a switch right?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
again, you are wrong, go read the FRT.. not once have the RCMP said its a converted auto, or able to be converted.

and the one that the scumbag business owner thought was a converted auto, wasn't..

so by your logic anything with a selector switch is easy to convert full auto...
lol.. ok... you do realize its just a switch right?
Far from just a switch , my 270 has a two position switch safe and fire. It in no manner can be converted to any thing but its single fire configuration. Pay attention im no newb notice ten parts away. thats key as I dont know that rifle. However I know some about how easy most are to convert .
Sg 550 rotating bolt gas opreated slect fire rifle , now this bit is key → cyclic rate 700 rpm .
Canadian variant semi auto.
See, do you guy get that cause thats how the book calls it, that is its proper classification.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Banned

NFA is coordinating legal action with Solomon Friedman of Edelson, Clifford, D'Angelo and Friedman law firm.

Please contact your Conservative MP, Minister of Public Safety Steven Blaney and the Prime Minister.

More information will be posted on the NFA Mainsite and Facebook page.

Blair Hagen
Executive Vice President
Canada's National Firearms Association
www.nfa
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 AM
Banned

Actually Swiss arms called TPTB in Canada to make this rifle fully unrestricted.. This version WAS MADE FOR CANADIANS and Canadian laws. Do your research!! selector switch or not!!! Guns are guns C68 is a smoke and mirror shoe all for the perception that they are making us safe....
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 AM

you know, new laws in Connecticut have turned upto 100'000 people into felons in regards to non compliance to registration.

read that the legislators we're quit surprised and were seriously considering revising the law. tens of thousands of court cases and inmate care seemed like a deterrent against this act.

civil disobedience does work.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
If the RCMP wants to start banning semi's that are easily converted to full auto then were all in real trouble. It can be done in the amount of time it takes to tie two knots. Google shoestring machine gun. It's time for the power to be taken away from the RCMP and the whole firearms act dumped in the shredder.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I get your point, but it was the RCMP that failed to ban it from the start, now they are confiscating private, LEGALLY, obtained property to suit a NEW law AND without compensation. I'm not sure, but I have never heard of this happening before in Canada. Be interested in knowing if private property has ever been confiscated in this manner before??

Signed, and I will be phoning the Conservatives and asking them if they are interested in EVER receiving another donation or vote from me. (Just gave them a donation not 2 weeks ago and told the guy it was time to get rid of the restricted classification altogether).

It is high time the RCMP were reined in. (Personally, I think it's time to disband the whole thing...they are getting to be a little too "above the law" for my liking)

Last edited by rugatika; 02-28-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Have not held the weapon ,
Exactly, and as such, you are only making an uneducated guess, and really don't know what it would take convert the rifle to full auto.

Quote:
but as stated ten parts would get her close
Close to full auto, isn't full auto.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, and as such, you are only making an uneducated guess, and really don't know what it would take convert the rifle to full auto.

Close to full auto, isn't full auto.
Silly guy you need to do your research, as stated prior ten parts for this rifle is cucial . It only HAS TEN PARTS. It is a full auto select fire rifle ..the Canadian variant is semi auto. Face palm. Cyclic rate is often the indicator of a rifle that us easily converted to full auto .
Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Silly guy you need to do your research, as stated prior ten parts for this rifle is cucial . It only HAS TEN PARTS. It is a full auto select fire rifle ..the Canadian variant is semi auto. Face palm. Cyclic rate is often the indicator of a rifle that us easily converted to full auto .
I have actually handled these firearms, and I do know that they are manufactured from more than TEN PARTS. Perhaps you should find one, and completely disassemble it, and count the parts, before making more assinine comments.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default yes - this was done before ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
..... I'm not sure, but I have never heard of this happening before in Canada. Be interested in knowing if private property has ever been confiscated in this manner before??

It is high time the RCMP were reined in. (Personally, I think it's time to disband the whole thing...they are getting to be a little too "above the law" for my liking)

In the early 90's (the liberals and Alan Rock in ctrl with full majority) ... a brand of assault shotgun was banned and confiscated with ZERO compensation to the owners - even though this firearm was obtained legally at the time of purchase.

Maybe someone else on this board recalls the model of shotgun ....

A quick google search to find it, turned up nothing so far ( gov't bureaucrats must have been busy scrubbing this from the web )

Last edited by TBD; 02-28-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Who cares?
Folks own full auto now and they have for years.

The issue is not the weapon or its capability.
The issue is that after being examined under a microscope and found to be fine... someone decides to change the rules so that we still fall short of being worthy of their trust.

Its crap.
But those who own full auto can't sell them, or trade them or will them to their kids. And there has not been any licensing for full auto in many years, and most likely never will be again. Once those who currently have full auto die off, so does the full auto in civilian hands. And there is no place one can take their current legally owned full auto to shoot anymore.

Bottom line, like you say, is the government does not trust us.

How long until they take away the next type of rifle just because of it's looks, or heritage? And none of this has saved any lives, nor affects the criminal element.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
really ? not you can turn almost any .22 semi into a automatic . and don't ask how i know . fish gunner you might as well join the anti's .
The ar 15 is not a prohib weapon in canada it has a selector switch and can easily be made full auto so whats your argument .....

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
In the early 90's (the liberals and Alan Rock in ctrl with full majority) ... a brand of assault shotgun was banned and confiscated with ZERO compensation to the owners - even though this firearm was obtained legally at the time of purchase.

Maybe someone else on this board recalls the model of shotgun ....

A quick google search to find it, turned up nothing so far ( gov't bureaucrats must have been busy scrubbing this from the web )
The SPAS 12 and the Bennelli M1 or Super 12 were both clasified as prohib. As was the first Norinco Type 97s. And with these firearms, the government didn't compensate people from my understanding. They were just given letters to surrender them.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Banned

Default thanks for your input ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
But those who own full auto can't sell them, or trade them or will them to their kids. And there has not been any licensing for full auto in many years, and most likely never will be again. Once those who currently have full auto die off, so does the full auto in civilian hands. And there is no place one can take their current legally owned full auto to shoot anymore.

Bottom line, like you say, is the government does not trust us.

How long until they take away the next type of rifle just because of it's looks, or heritage? And none of this has saved any lives, nor affects the criminal element.

... but the one I'm referring to didn't go on the prohib list and get grandfathered - it was banned and the owners were ordered to TURN them in. Zero compensation and not a squeak from Hubert T. Lacroix down at the CBC !
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM

I had one and there is no selector switch. Just a safety.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
really ? not you can turn almost any .22 semi into a automatic . and don't ask how i know . fish gunner you might as well join the anti's .
The ar 15 is not a prohib weapon in canada it has a selector switch and can easily be made full auto so whats your argument .....
Agreed.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM

#2807 here!! Here is a thought not sure if it would do much but it may make a few ripples in the higher ups in the RCMP . I know our local gun club rents range time for the RCMP to practice, I wonder if gun clubs across the country refused the RCMP access it may garner some attention. Now this is not a slight to boots on the ground members , and if they had a personal membership could be free to use the range at their convience . Like I said just a thought.?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
... but the one I'm referring to didn't go on the prohib list and get grandfathered - it was banned and the owners were ordered to TURN them in. Zero compensation and not a squeak from Hubert T. Lacroix down at the CBC !
Neither did these. They were confiscated and destroyed.

Here is a good link to list of prohibs in Canada.

http://www.firearms-safety-course.co...d=17&Itemid=23
Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default ... and where are you going with this argument anyways FG ?

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the military and police can have full autos - WHY can't I.

TBD

PS ... would make for a MUCH MORE polite society - don't you THINK ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
The SPAS 12 and the Bennelli M1 or Super 12 were both clasified as prohib. As was the first Norinco Type 97s. And with these firearms, the government didn't compensate people from my understanding. They were just given letters to surrender them.
Unbelievable ! ... so much for property rights (for gun owners) in Canada ! Guess this was proven again last spring in HR .... Harper needs to MAN UP ! What did we elect that guy for anyways ? They've (ottawa) turned him into a LIBERAL ! maybe JT needs to get elected so we (Alberta) can separate - I hear WR (Danny's) OKAY with Concealed Carry .....

Last edited by TBD; 02-28-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Do yourselves a favour and stop puzzling so hard about why the rcmp made this ruling. It has nothing to do with the function of the gun. Canadian firearms laws are completely arbitrary. They only give those reasons of classification to use space on the document.
It would have bad optics if they wrote their actual reasons.
The real reasons would include things like:
"It looks more scarier than my gun"
"People would enjoy this gun. Can't have people getting into guns"
"There are lots of these, and by banning them, we're taking guns out of circulation"
"Its a gun. Regular people don't need guns"

They want to take guns out of civilian hands.
They've already decided which ones they are banning, and coming up with their "reasoning" second.