Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2023, 03:56 PM

Default Corrective Eye Surgery. LASIK vs RLE

I had lasik with Gimble back in 06, but find myself in need of another tuneup. Thing is somehow I’m almost 18 years older lol. The more reading I’ve done on this the more it favours RLE for guys over 55.

So my question is, has anyone gone with RLE recently and have you been happy with it. Also looking for recommendations on Dr’s/Companies in the Edmonton region, and for that matter places you’d avoid based on actual experiences.

Hoping to do this in February maybe.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:05 PM

can you do it twice?
Old 11-29-2023, 04:15 PM

Lasik can be repeated, as long as the cornea thicknes is adequate. RLE will prevent you from having to have cataract surgery later on.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:27 PM

if U have done lasik can the other one be done now, not sure
Old 11-29-2023, 04:42 PM

I’ve had lens replacement surgery; mostly because of the onset of cataracts (family history). I had it in November 2021. I was near sighted all of my life. I still need “readers” glasses for up close (closer than 3 feet). But I couldn’t be happier. I have some floaters, but it really doesn’t bother me. For shooting, I don’t use my readers; even with scopes.

After two years, my right eye has “adjusted” further out. But my optometrist says the difference is so minor that there wouldn’t be any point to a prescription. I suppose if it gets worse in the coming years, LASIK will do a laser adjustment free of charge. The only stipulation is that I need to have documented proof of a yearly eye examination. Which I have done.

But from someone who has struggled with distance vision for 55+ years, to be able to see at distance without glasses is fabulous. And I’ll never have to worry about cataracts again. The colours are so much more vivid since I don’t have the cataracts screwing it up.

BTW, you can get up to three different prescriptions on a single lense. My advice (and the advice of the doctors at LASIK) was to choose just one…for distance. And live with the fact that you will need readers for close up clarity. Which I don’t mind at all.

The down side….cost. I have pretty decent vision coverage on my Wife’s insurance. And when I had this done, I was 58 years old (I didn’t qualify for the Government freebies for people over 65). The total for both eyes was $6000. My Wife’s insurance covered 50%. So the three thousand I paid was claimed on my taxes, most of which I got back as a tax refund.

My health and my eye’s health were good enough to have both eyes done in one appointment. Pretty funky when they take out the first lense and all you see is white. The doctor said at that point, I was legally blind in that eye. But after the surgery, I had about 60 to 75 percent vision. After three days, it was 100%. Some people have difficulty with lights at night. (Common for laser surgery.) But I have no such issues with the replacement lenses.

I hope to have been helpful.

Andy 6MT

Edit: I thought I would also mention, I am 60 years old at present.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
if U have done lasik can the other one be done now, not sure
Absolutely, just as you can have cataract surgery after lasik. I have had RKs, PRKs, and cataract surgeries. The only combination that they won't do is lasik after RKs.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I had lasik with Gimble back in 06, but find myself in need of another tuneup. Thing is somehow I’m almost 18 years older lol. The more reading I’ve done on this the more it favours RLE for guys over 55.

So my question is, has anyone gone with RLE recently and have you been happy with it. Also looking for recommendations on Dr’s/Companies in the Edmonton region, and for that matter places you’d avoid based on actual experiences.

Are you going to get them to straighten them while they are working on them so they aren’t quite so crossed?
Old 11-29-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Are you going to get them to straighten them while they are working on them so they aren’t quite so crossed?
No, I like it when people can’t figure out which eye to look at

Thanks for all the replies, Andy especially.

I’m pretty sure I will go with lense replacement, still researching. I will need testing and advice from professionals yet as to whether I’m even a candidate for what I want. When I got the lasik, gimble said I had plenty more left if I needed to get touched up down the road.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:45 AM

Very interested in this thread; appreciate all of the information provided.

Have been considering LASIK but am put off by the "dry eye" horror stories. I've had eye irritation issues when I was younger so that does have me concerned. RLE may be a better option.

Does anyone know if those implanted lenses eventually degrade/need replacement?
Old 11-30-2023, 09:15 AM

Default eye surgery

I was told the implants are glass so will not degrade but may get a prote,in buildup
Old 11-30-2023, 09:24 AM

I’ve also had lens replacement surgery! Dry eyes, you bet! but not so much a couple times a day I use eye drops! Night driving yes I get the halo's from light and other vehicles headlights! would I do it again? You bet!
Old 11-30-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymshooter View Post
I was told the implants are glass so will not degrade but may get a prote,in buildup
The implants are not glass. I don’t know what “prote,in buildup” is, but all I know is that I will never again have cataracts.

I was shown the lense implants. And how they unroll them once they are in position. And I don’t suffer from dry eyes. I guess I’m special too, because at night the bright lights don’t have the halos. I was told that some people will experience these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Does anyone know if those implanted lenses eventually degrade/need replacement?
I was told that they are for life. The do not need to ever be replaced. Any adjustment required is done with laser surgery.

Last edited by 6MT; 11-30-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
The implants are not glass. I don’t know what “prote,in buildup” is, but all I know is that I will never again have cataracts.

I was shown the lense implants. And how they unroll them once they are in position. And I don’t suffer from dry eyes. I guess I’m special too, because at night the bright lights don’t have the halos. I was told that some people will experience these issues.

I was told that they are for life. The do not need to ever be replaced. Any adjustment required is done with laser surgery.
Any lens can develop a "secondary cataract ", where deposits form on the lens. I had them in both eyes after cataract surgery, and the deposits were removed with a laser. Once removed, they don't reform. As for fine tuning, a PRK is used , I had both eyes done.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:19 AM

Cadillac's in both eyes (which had been Lasik'd 30 years ago with zero issues), scheduled surgery mid December on both eyes.

Just wanted to point out the costs; if I elected the AHS / Blue Cross cataract fix, I would need glasses for all situation but zero costs it's "included" in Blue Cross Senior care.

I did elected to go with the original surgeon "Mitchell in Calgary" Multifocal in one eye and Toric multifocal in the other, all in about $7000. Lens come from Germany. Costs included pretreatment for dry eyes etc.

I did consult various other suppliers and settled on the folks that originally did both eyes years ago.

Hopefully no glasses and improved "all distance most situations" vision.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:57 AM

I had PRK at Gimbel 19 years ago and I still dont wear glasses for everyday use.

I do have $3 glasses to read tho....
Old 11-30-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I’ve also had lens replacement surgery! Dry eyes, you bet! but not so much a couple times a day I use eye drops! Night driving yes I get the halo's from light and other vehicles headlights! would I do it again? You bet!
Ah, good to hear!

There are some patients that report having permanent severe dryness - eye drops barely help in their cases. Basically it has to do with the nerve damage when the flap is cut.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I had PRK at Gimbel 19 years ago and I still dont wear glasses for everyday use.

I do have $3 glasses to read tho....
I had RKs in 1985, then cataracts in 1999/2000, followed soon by PRKs, and at 63, after 20 eye surgeries in total, three retina detachments, vitrectomies etc, I still don't need reading glasses, but I am thinking of throwing some in the boat for tying on hooks.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:12 PM

i had lasik eye surgery, 20 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did
Old 11-30-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I had RKs in 1985, then cataracts in 1999/2000, followed soon by PRKs, and at 63, after 20 eye surgeries in total, three retina detachments, vitrectomies etc, I still don't need reading glasses, but I am thinking of throwing some in the boat for tying on hooks.
Lol! So true. I can spot deer and drive at night without glasses, but if I get a sliver in my finger Im screwed
Old 11-30-2023, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post

I think it makes sense listen to your Doctor. I'm not sure too many optometrists are here.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
What I was told about halos by gimble is that if your pupil dialates bigger then the flap they cut you will get a halo because the scar tissue can be seen. They tested me prior and said based on measurements I’d be fine, and they were right. The did have some flaring for a few months and was very sensitive to bright sunlight. That all went away in the first 6 months to a year for me.

I’m believe they cut flaps bigger now to avoid halo’s.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:51 PM

Lens replacement surgery in May. Had a month where things were super clear, then not. They said it could take up to 6 months to level out. Imagine you are looking at your fingers at normal distance and it looks like they are under a foot of water, kinda clear, kinda not. Or one day you could see every detail on your finger, the next you couldn't cut your finger nails because they're too blurry. And this would change within 20 minutes. Maybe that has leveled out now. Surgery was 98% successful I would say with some vision complaints at times. Overall I no longer need glasses, was around -8.5 Rx. But the small amount that I am off now constantly bothers me. Went and got glasses to wear at times I think I need them, low light, sometimes watching TV. They said PRK would solve this, but it also comes with possible side effects, so have not got that done yet. PRK is covered with price of initial surgery. Couple co-workers got this and are super happy, I am just not quite at that point. Night vision got way worse, and also have trouble with bright lights. Surgery done in Saskatoon, and was $5K/eye. Would I do it again, mostly yes, but I was hoping for a better outcome. I am under 50 years old.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:15 PM

Just went in today to get setup for cataract surgery in about two months.
I have a few questions for those that got it done that had to wear glasses for reading before the surgery and for driving .
Did you need more powerful glasses for reading or the same ?
Which lens did you pick ?
Also do you have dry eyes for years or just a few months ?

They offer 3 types of lenses now .
1st style are free but will need glass for far and near afterwards .
2 nd set are about $2800 for both eyes and will not need driving glasses just need reading glasses .
3rd set around $9000 for both and will not need any glasses afterwards . but see will see a halo in the evening .
Old 02-15-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Lens replacement surgery in May. Had a month where things were super clear, then not. They said it could take up to 6 months to level out. Imagine you are looking at your fingers at normal distance and it looks like they are under a foot of water, kinda clear, kinda not. Or one day you could see every detail on your finger, the next you couldn't cut your finger nails because they're too blurry. And this would change within 20 minutes. Maybe that has leveled out now. Surgery was 98% successful I would say with some vision complaints at times. Overall I no longer need glasses, was around -8.5 Rx. But the small amount that I am off now constantly bothers me. Went and got glasses to wear at times I think I need them, low light, sometimes watching TV. They said PRK would solve this, but it also comes with possible side effects, so have not got that done yet. PRK is covered with price of initial surgery. Couple co-workers got this and are super happy, I am just not quite at that point. Night vision got way worse, and also have trouble with bright lights. Surgery done in Saskatoon, and was $5K/eye. Would I do it again, mostly yes,
but I was hoping for a better outcome. I am under 50 years old.
Do you smoke dope? I had lasik and when I smoked it messed up my vision. Once I stopped my vision has been very good and stable.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:55 AM

My Cataracts became severe before surgery, bad peripheral vision and cloudy frontal like looking through a dirty screen door. After the procedure it became sharp and brilliant, felt I could almost see behind me. Also Colours became more intense and could see more of the colour spectrum,my vision is much sharper also. I experienced dry eyes for about 6 months and them it disappeared. I have developed scar tissue in one eye which I did not even notice, my surgeon did and will be going for laser later this month to burn it off.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-15-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just went in today to get setup for cataract surgery in about two months.
I have a few questions for those that got it done that had to wear glasses for reading before the surgery and for driving .
Did you need more powerful glasses for reading or the same ?
Which lens did you pick ?
Also do you have dry eyes for years or just a few months ?

They offer 3 types of lenses now .
1st style are free but will need glass for far and near afterwards .
2 nd set are about $2800 for both eyes and will not need driving glasses just need reading glasses .
3rd set around $9000 for both and will not need any glasses afterwards . but see will see a halo in the evening .
Most people require glasses to read after cataract surgery. At 63, I still don't require reading glasses, and the doctors were quite surprised about that. I got the basic lenses, and had PRKs about 6 months after surgery, to fine tune my distance vision. I did have to have laser treatment to remove secondary cataracts 1-2 years after the cataract surgeries.