Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2024, 03:25 PM

Default Petition to recall Calgary's mayor

Sign early, sign often, needs over half a million signatures. Funny because I have never met anyone who even heard of her before the election, much less vote for this WEF "Install".

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/city-of-...call-petition/
Old 02-05-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Sign early, sign often, needs over half a million signatures. Funny because I have never met anyone who even heard of her before the election, much less vote for this WEF "Install".

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/city-of-...call-petition/
How does it make sense that they base the number of signatures needed based upon the total population but base the number of people eligible to sign the petition as only those eligible to vote?

So no kids 17 and under can vote

No expats living in Calgary can vote

No new immigrants can vote

No seasonal or temporary workers can vote.

So based upon the needed votes

Quote:
This recall petition will be measured against a population total of 1,285,711 which will require a total of 514,284 signatures that must meet the legislated requirements set out in the MGA to be considered sufficient. Only individuals who are eligible to vote for the elected official named in the notice of recall petition may sign the recall petition. The data from the 2019 Municipal Affairs Population List is used to calculate the number of required signatures, as set out in Ministerial Order MSD:021/23.
It’s impossible to get this done unless 61% of voters sign.

Quote:
twitter share quote

Calgary,22October2021
Official results for the 2021 General Election
Voter turnout for the 2021 Calgary General Election was 393,090 for a total voter turnout of 46.38 per cent. There were 847,556 enumerated electors as of July 2021 per the Elections Alberta Permanent Register of Electors.

Hope it works though. We can’t afford her wonkiness.

Looks like this petition is signature on real paper. There is no digital sign method.

So people need to take the petition door to door.

And you can only sign once. If you sign more than once they will be removed. People may think enough signatures was met only to have a bunch disqualified. That would be sad.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 02-05-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:57 PM

People need to start thinking, before they vote in all elections.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:07 PM

So she won with 176,344 votes and the petition now needs close to 3 times the number of people that voted for her to turf her out. This does not make sense.

Calgary mayor-elect Jyoti Gondek won the most votes in all 14 of the city's electoral wards. The final count gave Gondek 176,344 votes and 45 per cent of the vote share, in total
Old 02-05-2024, 04:41 PM

Anyone else find it humorously suspicious that a petition for recall needs real people to actually sign, but voting can be done any which way?
Old 02-05-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
So she won with 176,344 votes and the petition now needs close to 3 times the number of people that voted for her to turf her out. This does not make sense.

Calgary mayor-elect Jyoti Gondek won the most votes in all 14 of the city's electoral wards. The final count gave Gondek 176,344 votes and 45 per cent of the vote share, in total
I think aN ammendment is in order...needs 2b something like 60% plus 1 of all people that voted...same goes for counselors in their wards 60% plus 1 for all who voted in the ward...this current yyc mayor is a political joke imho
Old 02-05-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Anyone else find it humorously suspicious that a petition for recall needs real people to actually sign, but voting can be done any which way?
My first thought.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-05-2024, 05:56 PM

Default Petition

Where can I sign this. Is there a link? Can’t seem to find one.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo11 View Post
Where can I sign this. Is there a link? Can’t seem to find one.
It needs to be an in-person signature, but I'll sign it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:00 PM

Given the number of signatures that are needed, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the authors of the legislation weren't actually planning on having it used.

You might be able to get the required number of signatures in a smaller community, but in any of the larger centers, it's practically impossible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...llor-1.6876774
Old 02-05-2024, 07:26 PM

The wording is designed so any recall petition is doomed to fail. But so what? Sign it anyway - it sends a message. She's the worst mayor ever!
Old 02-05-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
The wording is designed so any recall petition is doomed to fail. But so what? Sign it anyway - it sends a message. She's the worst mayor IN CALGARY ever!
Fixed it for you.
'Worst Mayor ever' goes to our guy.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
How does it make sense that they base the number of signatures needed based upon the total population but base the number of people eligible to sign the petition as only those eligible to vote?

So no kids 17 and under can vote

No expats living in Calgary can vote

No new immigrants can vote

No seasonal or temporary workers can vote.

So based upon the needed votes

It’s impossible to get this done unless 61% of voters sign.

Hope it works though. We can’t afford her wonkiness.

Looks like this petition is signature on real paper. There is no digital sign method.

So people need to take the petition door to door.

And you can only sign once. If you sign more than once they will be removed. People may think enough signatures was met only to have a bunch disqualified. That would be sad.
Just go to the local cemetery and start collecting signatures…
Old 02-05-2024, 08:11 PM

Calgary's council is clearly out of touch with its citizens.

Getting Gondek removed will be nearly impossible.
Removing one of Carra, Walcott or Penner would be easier to do and it would send a nice message to the rest of them.

But agree with the comment that collecting a large number of signatures would send a message to Gondek. If the petition collected more signatures than the 176k people who voted for her, that should do the job.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:44 PM

Did Gondek suggest she was only going to serve one term? I heard that somewhere. Seems unlikely.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Calgary's council is clearly out of touch with its citizens.

Getting Gondek removed will be nearly impossible.
Removing one of Carra, Walcott or Penner would be easier to do and it would send a nice message to the rest of them.

But agree with the comment that collecting a large number of signatures would send a message to Gondek. If the petition collected more signatures than the 176k people who voted for her, that should do the job.
Don't forget about Ward #3 J Mian
Old 02-06-2024, 07:13 AM

Unhappy Is this a good idea?

We have frequent and fair elections in this country, and as Elk has pointed out not everyone votes. If you pick the wrong person, or at least think that you have vote the next time.

If I understand the legislation, this will set up a by election if it is successful. Her term is only 4 years, can't we wait for the next election?

I think that this is a way for the losers to keep at it between elections, and as far as I'm concerned if you didn't bother to vote you shouldn't be allowed to sign any petition!

Please volunteer as a candidate, at any level of government, we could use some new politicians!
Old 02-06-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
We have frequent and fair elections in this country, and as Elk has pointed out not everyone votes. If you pick the wrong person, or at least think that you have vote the next time.

If I understand the legislation, this will set up a by election if it is successful. Her term is only 4 years, can't we wait for the next election?

I think that this is a way for the losers to keep at it between elections, and as far as I'm concerned if you didn't bother to vote you shouldn't be allowed to sign any petition!

Please volunteer as a candidate, at any level of government, we could use some new politicians!
Yes it's a good idea, as has been demonstrated by her, you can make a real mess in 4 yrs. Will it work, probably not, but it will demonstrate peoples unhappiness. Hopefully the folks that just want to get on with their lives and not be bothered by irritants like elections will come to realize if you don't get out and vote bad things can happen.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-06-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Are our elections really fair? To decide that, you need to look at how the media effects how people vote, and who controls the media. Not so much in this example, but in the case of federal elections, the government controls the media, and uses our tax dollars to pay the media to broadcast their propaganda. And now we have Trudeau and Singh figuring out how to manipulate how elections are held, to improve their chances of winning future elections.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:10 AM

I disagree with this. Someone wins a vote fair and square. Doesn't matter if barely anyone voted, next time get out and vote. So someone doesn't like that there person didn't get in (like Trump at the Capitol Riots), and they start this petition. Well, then this will be the flavour of the day. A joke!

Its called an election and if I understand correctly, in a little over a year there will be another one, then the people will have their say and vote for our against.

If we veer from this democratic system, look out!
Old 02-06-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:

There is truth in people need to think about who they vote for. But there also needs to be accountability for our politicians especially if the voting public finds theses politicians failing at their job

Mayor or even prime minister are just people doing a job. They were given this job by the voting public not by divine powers. Just as an employer has the right to fire an employee for failing to do their agreed upon job the same goes for the society and failing leadership they voted for

We need to actually create policies that give the public more power to remove failing politicians not give excuses to let them ride out their term. When a house is on fire steps are taken to put it out not just stand back and let it burn to the ground

It’s pretty clear the lack of accountability in all levels of Canadian politics is damaging and creating a major rift in our population. So yeah I am not supporting the “stand back and let it burn” approach
Old 02-06-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I disagree with this. Someone wins a vote fair and square. Doesn't matter if barely anyone voted, next time get out and vote. So someone doesn't like that there person didn't get in (like Trump at the Capitol Riots), and they start this petition. Well, then this will be the flavour of the day. A joke!

Its called an election and if I understand correctly, in a little over a year there will be another one, then the people will have their say and vote for our against.

So failing politicians and miss management shouldn’t be held accountable

Show me one system that flourishes to its potential under this train of thought
Old 02-06-2024, 08:30 AM

Does anyone know where to sign the petition?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 02-06-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Consider it a performance review. Things aren’t looking good for her. Maybe would be good to start listening to what constituents actually want in contrast to woke garbage.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:05 AM

IMHO this petition is meaningless and will never go anywhere, it only serves to let her know that there are people who are not happy with her leadership and that maybe she should start to act in best interest of the people she represents.

She was elected and can be voted out, I wonder how many of those signing this petition actually exercised their right to vote, and how many are just jumping on the band wagon.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Our system is not truly democratic, it is a manipulated system, where a party that gets more votes can lose the election. That is exactly what happened in the last federal election.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Fixed it for you.
'Worst Mayor ever' goes to our guy.
Agreed CB, Gondek is a piece of work but Sohi has "Federal" experience to really show how to ruin a city in a short period of time.....lol

The petition probably won't work but if enough sign it'll send a message to her and city council which is better than just standing by and "stomaching it"....
Old 02-06-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:

You have an interesting perspective if you think that riots and petitions are equivalent.

Democracy: government by the people. What could be more democratic than the people say "we have had enough! Next."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:03 AM

There is only democracy for 1 day every 4 years. The rest is dictatorship. Make it a good one.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:11 AM

Can’t find any signs of any organizational effort to take the petition door to door.

Only way it could work is if people can print off 100 copies and go door to door or post on FB where in each community someone can sign the petition.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin