Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Very dangerous, if Putin gets wind of this he may become aggressive and invade a neighbouring country.
Hahahaha. Right??? The world is politically destabilizing and our soldiers have to buy and expense their own basic equipment. Maybe this is a wake up call, many Canadians need.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
He’s referring to the American paid for anti oil lobby groups labeled environmentalists who not only pay massively for protests but also are a key funded of anti oil groups in Canada. https://www.westerninvestor.com/albe...acking-4538939
I know what he is referring to. As I said those are funded by private citizens, not the white house. The US government and American citizens are different entities.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:08 AM

So how many people are actually naive enough to believe that this was anything more than an attempt to make the NATO members that haven't pulled their weight, reconsider committing more finances? You have to really have a Trump phobia, to think otherwise.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I know what he is referring to. As I said those are funded by private citizens, not the white house. The US government and American citizens are different entities.
Why the distinction then?

We need to realize the anti oil lobby is political. The Democrats are heavily invested now in anti oil efforts. The government of Michigan is actively trying to block Canadian oil and gas. At the same time encourage sale of US energy to Ontario and Quebec.

If one doesn’t recognize key democrats are encouraging funding of anti oil and gas efforts in Canada is fooling themselves. Such efforts serve two groups. It appears to support climate change initiatives while also restricting Canadian oil and gas which drives US producers profits up and at the same time drives production down in Canada. This is also beneficial to the US long game as stranded production in Canada will aid with energy accessibility longer in North America which is the long game.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-12-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So how many people are actually naive enough to believe that this was anything more than an attempt to make the NATO members that haven't pulled their weight, reconsider committing more finances? You have to really have a Trump phobia, to think otherwise.
Exactly! I judge people by their actions and not so much by their words.
The old saying: "Talk is cheap, but actions are priceless".

Trump says lots of crap, Biden says even more, most of which is unintelligible to humans. Trudeau says um, ah, er. Their actions are clear though and easy to judge. With that said, I am still trying to unsee the action video in post #79 of Zelensky......
Old 02-12-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
This is the guy we are sending billions to? It boggles my mind...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=so2KTN...a3kgZGFuY2U%3D
lol

Too funny. Putin probably watches this at night and tries to copy the moves in mirror.

Putin must be so jealous that a comedian and actor has been a better human being and leader than all the Putin’s in the world.

While Putin hid in a cave over fear of Covid… Zelensky was told by the US that they have a ride to get him evacuated out of Kiev at the start of the war.

He went on TV and stared at the camera that he didn’t want a ride… he wanted weapons to fight.

Zelensky has been to the front lines multiple times. He’s done reports to the population from the street while knowing assassination squads were in Ukraine.

So this guy, who entertained the masses, acted in a show in which he was the leader was put on a ballot as a joke and then was elected democratically.

Then has become one of the most admired war time leaders of all time.

In contrast… Putin wasn’t democratically elected. As a dictator he does what he wants. He has body doubles to be at public events. He has rarely, rarely gone anywheres near the front lines. Between this and Covid he has been shown to be a coward. Who is Putin’s favourite supporter? Donald Trump. Crazy world.

Putin can only dream he had Zelensky’s talent. Even when playing hockey… the teams let him win to look good… they always have. The talent of sitting on a horse shirtless is not a talent.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-12-2024, 10:44 AM

Newsflash:
Trump says something that sounds poorly thought out and offensive to many.

Is anyone surprised by this?
Old 02-12-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If you think Putin is plotting his campaign against Canada about this comment, you are sadly mistaken. Here we are though in Canada debating our lack of commitment to our allies. Like many have said, Trump is playing chess while others are playing checkers.

So you are telling me the US government has protested Canadian oil? Or as I said, is it private citizens with business interests in mind? Exactly like many Canadian citizens that fund protests to protect their cash cows. Also,we have political parties in Canada that are determined to shut down our O&G industry and you are scared of the Americans??? The Americans consider Canadian oil, they don’t want to see our oil flow stop.
I don't believe I stated anywhere that Putin is plotting against Canada, it doesn't make Trump's rhetoric any less dangerous.

Of course America considers Canadian oil, so they can monopolize our resources. I also didn't claim the US gov itself is specifically funding anti-pipeline/oilsands lobbyists, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility for US politicians to be affiliated with the groups funding many of these groups.

Yes, Canada is equally guilty of hindering our industry but pretending that there aren't those in the US with big pockets and big influence on US Gov. is at best gullible. If we were actually successful in exporting more of our resources to the world instead of the US being our major importer, who'd stand to lose? Us or them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Why the distinction then?

We need to realize the anti oil lobby is political. The Democrats are heavily invested now in anti oil efforts. The government of Michigan is actively trying to block Canadian oil and gas. At the same time encourage sale of US energy to Ontario and Quebec.

If one doesn’t recognize key democrats are encouraging funding of anti oil and gas efforts in Canada is fooling themselves. Such efforts serve two groups. It appears to support climate change initiatives while also restricting Canadian oil and gas which drives US producers profits up and at the same time drives production down in Canada. This is also beneficial to the US long game as stranded production in Canada will aid with energy accessibility longer in North America which is the long game.

Exactly, I would also add there are likely many Republicans who are heavily involved as well. Canada has great resources, not only O&G but our water as well.

Last edited by Sporty; 02-12-2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
The thing is, Russia is our enemy and always has been. Throwing some money at Ukraine and no blood from out boys is a good deal. Drain Russia of young men and equipment to reduce their strength is great. Putin is insane and can't be trusted
Pardon my French, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! You have absolutely no idea of the topic. Russia is our enemy? No buddy, Russia and Russian people put the west on a pedestal well before the fall of the iron curtain in 1991. Everything that came from the west- clothing, ideology, food and drinks, ability to travel the world etc etc etc was looked upon with the highest regards and admiration. After the 1991, when the borders started to open, Russians started to travel. The people in powers started to travel and send their kids and families overseas… Even now the vast majority of Russian oligarchs and political leaders kids live abroad. Russians don’t want the war with the west, they want peace. Peace will allow them to live the life of luxury and enjoy their money.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I don't believe I stated anywhere that Putin is plotting against Canada, it doesn't make Trump's rhetoric any less dangerous.

Of course America considers Canadian oil, so they can monopolize our resources. I also didn't claim the US gov itself is specifically funding anti-pipeline/oilsands lobbyists, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility for US politicians to be affiliated with the groups funding many of these groups.

Yes, Canada is equally guilty of hindering our industry but pretending that there aren't those in the US with big pockets and big influence on US Gov. is at best gullible. If we were actually successful in exporting more of our resources to the world instead of the US being our major importer, who'd stand to lose? Us or them?

Exactly, I would also add there are likely many Republicans who are heavily involved as well. Canada has great resources, not only O&G but our water as well.
If you don’t believe Putin is a danger to Canada, then how is Trump’s rhetoric dangerous?

Also, you were quoting me speaking about american citizens blocking canadian O&G not their government. I am speaking in the context of my original statement. As I said, the US is not to blame for Canada’s crappy state of our O&G sector. The US doesn’t approve Energy East. Only Canadians and our politicians do. If Americans can buy off our politicians, and stop it. Then the problem should be rectified in the next election cycle. But its not. So only Canadian politicians and voters are to blame for how pathetic our O&G sector is. There are more canadians out east that want to see Alberta fail than in the US.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Pardon my French, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! You have absolutely no idea of the topic. Russia is our enemy? No buddy, Russia and Russian people put the west on a pedestal well before the fall of the iron curtain in 1991. Everything that came from the west- clothing, ideology, food and drinks, ability to travel the world etc etc etc was looked upon with the highest regards and admiration. After the 1991, when the borders started to open, Russians started to travel. The people in powers started to travel and send their kids and families overseas… Even now the vast majority of Russian oligarchs and political leaders kids live abroad. Russians don’t want the war with the west, they want peace. Peace will allow them to live the life of luxury and enjoy their money.
Russia wanted in during the 1990s -- and was summarily humiliated and looted.

How the tables have turned! The US is in steep decline (Trump is not the cause -- he's a symptom); Western Europe is an enfeebled powder keg; and Canada becomes even more of a non-factor with each passing day.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
The thing is, Russia is our enemy and always has been. Throwing some money at Ukraine and no blood from out boys is a good deal. Drain Russia of young men and equipment to reduce their strength is great. Putin is insane and can't be trusted
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Supply every piece of gear the Ukrainians need because this isn’t going to stop with the the Ukraine, and the more Russians that they thin down the less there will be for the next go around. Start using that confinscated 300 billion for some longer range armaments so the Russians can get a taste of what they’re doing to others.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Supply every piece of gear the Ukrainians need because this isn’t going to stop with the the Ukraine, and the more Russians that they thin down the less there will be for the next go around. Start using that confinscated 300 billion for some longer range armaments so the Russians can get a taste of what they’re doing to others.
Don't want to be a grammar Nazi

Saying the Ukraine is similar to saying the Canada.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Odd. I’ve always heard it referred to as “the Ukraine”, but I don’t really know the origins.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Odd. I’ve always heard it referred to as “the Ukraine”, but I don’t really know the origins.
He is 100% correct. Also, many Ukrainians who speak English actually get offended by the use of “the”.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:

I just looked it up and stand corrected as referring to it as the Ukraine is now no longer the correct terminology. Showing my age.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
What happens when Ukraine loses (because they will)? What happens if they run out of people (because there is a high probability they will)? What happens if Russia starts moving further and taking much more land (because that is possible)? What happens if the country collapses due to unbearable debt and budget deficit (because that is a real possibility)?
Old 02-12-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
What happens when Ukraine loses (because they will)? What happens if they run out of people (because there is a high probability they will)? What happens if Russia starts moving further and taking much more land (because that is possible)? What happens if the country collapses due to unbearable debt and budget deficit (because that is a real possibility)?
All of that is occurring now, and they will keep going for more land. Russia has a very long track record of invading countries,annd subjugating its people. The only way to stop them is to fight back. Imagine if the world had helped the Polish people deal with the Nazis and Russians in 39? How about helping the Finns when the same thing occurred to them? Chechnya, Georgia, the list goes on. Laying back and hoping they’ll stop at your neighbours isn’t really a viable solution.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
All of that is occurring now, and they will keep going for more land. Russia has a very long track record of invading countries,annd subjugating its people. The only way to stop them is to fight back. Imagine if the world had helped the Polish people deal with the Nazis and Russians in 39? How about helping the Finns when the same thing occurred to them? Chechnya, Georgia, the list goes on. Laying back and hoping they’ll stop at your neighbours isn’t really a viable solution.
But what happens when some or all of what I mentioned (and more) occurs, perhaps simultaneously?

Also consider that when that happens, Russia, while badly beaten itself, will have the most trained and battle hardened army in the world and, while it will take years, they will also have the army completely rearmed and equipped with modern equipment at their disposal, producing millions more artillery shells than all of NATO combined, as well as missiles, etc. At the same time being tighter than ever with China and Iran. China proceeds and tries to reintegrate Taiwan by force. Iran goes on and increases their shenanigans in the Middle East. And so on.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I just looked it up and stand corrected as referring to it as the Ukraine is now no longer the correct terminology. Showing my age.
The Ukraine is the way the Russians referred to that part of the country during Soviet times … Now that it is a country, a nation, and a recognized state, it is just Ukraine.

Are you sure it is just your age Comrade?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:31 PM

Ten posts to correct the the word "the" you guys are frack hilarious! Hundreds of thousands are dying and your triggered by a three letter word. No wonder the world is a mess. And Canada is run by a little dick tator.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The Ukraine is the way the Russians referred to that part of the country during Soviet times … Now that it is a country, a nation, and a recognized state, it is just Ukraine.

Are you sure it is just your age Comrade?
You both are funny! In Russian language there is no such thing as THE. DURING THE TIMES OF THE USSR and now- it’s just Ukraine. Украина. Without any A or THE.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Ten posts to correct the the word "the" you guys are frack hilarious! Hundreds of thousands are dying and you’re triggered by a three letter word. No wonder the world is a mess. And Canada is run by a BIG dick AND SMALL tator.
Corrected!
Old 02-12-2024, 10:40 PM

Trump wants every country up there spending because the US is the biggest supplier of military equipment in the world. It would be a windfall for the US.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Ten posts to correct the the word "the" you guys are frack hilarious! Hundreds of thousands are dying and your triggered by a three letter word. No wonder the world is a mess. And Canada is run by a little dick tator.
X10 Your very correct .LMAO.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:09 PM

He could have followed up with something like this so Democrats and Liberals could understand …

“If you don’t pay your insurance premiums, and someone steals your truck.. Should the insurance company bail you out? No…”

You want Membership Privileges, you pay Membership dues…
Old 02-12-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
He could have followed up with something like this so Democrats and Liberals could understand …

“If you don’t pay your insurance premiums, and someone steals your truck.. Should the insurance company bail you out? No…”

You want Membership Privileges, you pay Membership dues…
Countries aren’t paying nothing remember. They had a ball park number it was recommended to be at. 2%. Then a few years ago they formalized it and countries are supposed to bring their spending up. There is no dues or money paid to another country. Countries just have a defense budget to get to and definitions as to what that number entails.

Looks to me like the money we have allocated for planes, helicopters and help for Ukraine should get us there. EU as a whole likely are also getting there for countries in NATO.

Need another count maybe.

https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-ac...fcom-eng.html#

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f35...0useful%20life.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023...%20helicopters.

https://www.seaspan.com/seaspan-ship...nce%20programs.

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-re...0measures%20in

Adds up fast.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:14 AM

This thread……….

-Billy Molls
Old 02-13-2024, 06:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Good thing we have you guys to watch over us and tell us what to think. Sheesh.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-13-2024, 06:37 AM

People are literally triggered by a red hat that says MAGA.

-Billy Molls