Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 01:12 PM

Default Bit of Dodge/Cummins history

Ran across this today, fella put a nice history together on the Dodge D100 and its history with diesels, and how the B series Cummins got put in it, and some evolution, really quite a story. Cummins and Chrysler were both hurting in that time period, it basically ended up saving both of them. It was a time of big changes in the heavy truck side of things too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w183xsiCU18
Old 02-13-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Ran across this today, fella put a nice history together on the Dodge D100 and its history with diesels, and how the B series Cummins got put in it, and some evolution, really quite a story. Cummins and Chrysler were both hurting in that time period, it basically ended up saving both of them. It was a time of big changes in the heavy truck side of things too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w183xsiCU18
That's a very good video
I would also point out not much Dodge in those first Cummings trucks. Whole drivetrains made by Getrag, Dana,etc!haha
Those first dodge 727 autos especially with the overdrive the 46 rh was not a bad transmission for the price and for what they figured at the time trucks would be hauling.Hard to believe how long those transmissions have been around. 1952 I think he said on video.
One mistake he made on video was he said the 91.5 models had same horsepower but I have both and the pre intercooled earlier version makes quite a bit more power that you can feel. I know technically there is not supposed to be much difference but I suspect pre 91.5 models where underated.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:39 AM

Default Revolution Saved Chrysler/Cummins.

Great Video, interesting history, thanks for sharing.

Had a series 1 and 2 both with unbeatable power/economy/reliability specs.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-14-2024, 09:29 AM

The irony is that Cummins developed a small diesel which ended up in the Nissan Titan as the Dodge Owner at the time (FIAT) chose to build the 3 litre under licence from Mercedes for the Dodge 1500 series Diesel.

Nothing wrong with the Mercedes copy 3 litre, but the Cummins was 5 litre and more horsepower and alot more torque.

Of course everything else on the Nissan Titan proved to be a big problem as it was made by Nissan, not Cummins. Sales were so low that Nissan dropped the Diesel Cummins version..

As for the 1500 3 litre diesel from FIAT, the engine was put into a Truck which FIAT decided to put a closed system air ride suspension which was a disaster in cold temperatures and the subject of a huge US Class Action.

It would be nice to see the new Dodge owner get their hands on the 5 litre Cummins and put it into the 1500 series, or even better, take 2 cylinders off the Cummins I-6 and put the in line into a 1500 series.

But all else being said, my 2007 6.7 rolled over to 530,000 km, which is not even impressive for Cummins in Dodge trucks.

That is why Dodge has such a loyal following on their Cummins powered trucks.

Drewski
Old 02-14-2024, 10:10 AM

Just a side note Banks would take first Gen 5.9 liter Dodge/Cummins and crank up torque from around 400 Ibs to near 1000 with their after market turbo etc.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:16 PM

Six or seven years ago I bought a first gen Dodge diesel off a guy on this forum. Single cab, 4wd, five speed standard, two tone tan brown paint. He bought it new and sold it to me with over 500,000 on the odometer. What I would give to have been able to buy one new off that lot in ‘92.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:03 PM

As a former multiple 1st gen owner and current 2nd gen Dodge Cummins owner, thanks for finding and posting. Very informative video...
Old 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM

Great video. I’ve had 6 dodge diesels over the years, currently a 14 5500. It’s pretty crazy that they were expecting to sell 1000 the first year and by the third production year were at 100000. They paved the way for the absolutely amazing diesel truck market we now have. It would have been awesome if they rolled out half tons in 1989 with that 3.9 litre 4bt as well.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Great video. I’ve had 6 dodge diesels over the years, currently a 14 5500. It’s pretty crazy that they were expecting to sell 1000 the first year and by the third production year were at 100000. They paved the way for the absolutely amazing diesel truck market we now have. It would have been awesome if they rolled out half tons in 1989 with that 3.9 litre 4bt as well.
I was not even aware of the 4BT!!! Thank you for the heads up!

Tricky part on a swap would be the needed wiring harness and engine mounts.

At 700 ++ pds it should be within the weight range for alot of 1500 series trucks.

I wonder what the transmission conversion would best be mated up with.

But if the fuel mileage is not much different that the current Dodge Diesel offerings, it really does not make much sense to do an engine swap on a 1500 series pickup.

Drewski

Drewski
Old 02-15-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

At 700 ++ pds it should be within the weight range for alot of 1500 series trucks.

But if the fuel mileage is not much different that the current Dodge Diesel offerings, it really does not make much sense to do an engine swap on a 1500 series pickup.

Drewski

Drewski
I have never looked into anything new but i own a 12 valve and am putting it in a suburban. Crossover parts are readily available for cummins swaps.at least for old 12 valves.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Drewski

Drewski
I'm not sure what you mean about wiring harness? The early 4 and 6 bts don't really need any wires except if you want you can have fuel shut off on a switch instead of mechanical linkage. You can wire engine pre heat on separate switch. Alternator you can wire up like 60_70s gas trucks with mechanical Mopar regulator. But these motors will run with no wires what so ever if you like. That's another thing that makes em cool.
Fuel mileage on them is crazy. I like and have thought about 4 BT convervsions on other old gasser trucks. Fuel mileage would be even better with the 4 bts.
Another thing is with these early Cummins you can also burn black diesel in them.
Transmission is one of the problems with 4x4 conversions. You need an overdrive. If you just throw money at this everything can be solved. I try not to ever throw money at anything.
Young people use newer transmission out of newer ford trucks. They buy all the conversion components.
They used to use these Cummins in school buses and heavier big commercial trucks. I think a SAE #2 bell housing will allow you to bolt up whatever road ranger transmission you want behind your Cummins.. So basically you could have a 13spd or even a modern 18 SPD and then bolt up a divorced 205 behind that. Twin stick your 205 and you would have every gear configuration that you could ever dream of.

Hard part is finding parts trucks or used parts at right price to do your build
Old 02-15-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Drewski

Drewski
Trickiest part is just finding an engine worth buying for not an insane price.

Haven’t looked lately but 4BTs used to be worth more than 6BTs and I’d bet still are. A decent condition one with turbo and injection pump were $7k. Guys used to buy old Case skid steers just to pull the 4B out of them (before skid steer prices went bananas).