Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 10:06 PM

Default Nature Conservancy Of Canada, Small Acts of Conservation Challenge.

I saw this challenge and thought some members might enjoy participating in the challenge. There are NCC prizes to be won too. This is a good cause to be involved with. Enjoy.

https://secure.natureconservancy.ca/...LwZLxieIMzD1F0
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-15-2024, 12:37 AM

Wasn't it established already that the NCC works closely with Y2Y?

I personally don't trust the Y2Y initiative, nor their affiliates anymore.
I prefer our wildlife populations and habitat be managed by our local government, armed with good data, instead of some anti hunting, anti-industry "Not-for-profit" organization in Montana.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

I prefer our wildlife populations and habitat be managed by our local government, armed with good data, instead of some anti hunting, anti-industry "Not-for-profit" organization in Montana.
This

-Billy Molls
Old 02-15-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:

Well said.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 AM

Anything even remotely associated with Y2Y is a danger to anyone who enjoys accessing our wild spaces and hunting. They are nothing but eco-terrorists whose ultimate aim is to cut off access to all. Not just hunters. All human activity.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Anything even remotely associated with Y2Y is a danger to anyone who enjoys accessing our wild spaces and hunting. They are nothing but eco-terrorists whose ultimate aim is to cut off access to all. Not just hunters. All human activity.
They have changed their carefully worded statements related to hunting and human access to try to soften the blow.

https://y2y.net/policies-principles/

Here's a thread with some more info. You'll note that the links referenced on the Y2Y website are no longer active.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365500

Alberta Outdoorsman Magazine published several articles directly related to Y2Y. Pretty self explanatory.

https://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/ar...s-june-08.html
Old 02-15-2024, 09:59 AM

The Policies referred to by the Nature Conservancy, which directly adopts Y2Y:

Y2Y also recognizes

the legitimacy of temporarily or permanently setting aside selected areas in which hunting, fishing, or trapping are not permitted, based on science and Indigenous and local knowledge, to help protect wildlife populations and their genes, and to act as source populations for the broader landscape
that ecologically healthy landscapes should generally be able to support sustainably managed and regulated hunting, trapping, fishing, and gathering.

The "legitimate" question to ask, is who gets to decide if and when we can hunt and fish? No reference is made to Government Biologists, just Indigenous and local knowledge, and their "science" whatever that is.

The final question is just who is on the Board of Directors, and what is their attitude to hunting and fishing on the land? Then, if there is a new Board of Directors, will that attitude change?

So, maybe the decision on hunting and fishing on any particular land should really be made by Government Officials who can be reigned in by their Elected Representatives. That is the only way that the General Public will have any accountability for the decision making.

Drewski
Old 02-15-2024, 11:53 AM

Guess they can't please everyone. Google gave me this.

What is The Nature Conservancy scandal?
In 2022, a group of 158 conservation, environmental, and social justice non-profit organizations signed an open letter to the Conservancy's CEO, Jennifer Morris, charging that The Nature Conservancy was overly supportive of logging interests and the use of wood products as a natural climate solution.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-15-2024, 01:27 PM

At least Bill Gates uses his own money to buy up huge tracts of land all over the continent.
These people are worse than him, and that's really saying something.

I can't wait for the usuals who constantly scan the interweb, to show up and proclaim their love of hunting, fishing, and trapping, and all the benefits of the Y2Y initiative.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:38 PM

Thank you to everyone that puts the NCC and Y2Y missions into perspective.

I always thought The NCC was doing a good thing by preserving different properties for future generations to enjoy. I failed to realize their connections to the Y2Y movement and other supposed ulterior motives.

I would venture to say that preserving some of our lands is not a bad thing in the big picture. Not all lands need to be used for or by humans. We need wild places that help remind us from where we have come.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-15-2024, 01:54 PM

Sorry for dumping so hard on your thread Red Bullets. Didn't intend to come across so strong, but yeah, super sensitive to anything remotely connected to Y2Y. Those guys are worse than wolves in sheep's clothing.

There are legitimate reasons for conservation of course, and fully necessary given the 'over loving' that is happening with the masses heading into the eastern slopes and mountain ranges. That's the tricky part, is that Y2Y and associated groups sneak in under that guise, but their ulterior motives are what's scary.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
At least Bill Gates uses his own money to buy up huge tracts of land all over the continent.

I can't wait for the usuals who constantly scan the interweb, to show up and proclaim their love of hunting, fishing, and trapping, and all the benefits of the Y2Y initiative.
Buddy put a Conservation Easement on one of his quarters, he got a tax receipt and the land is tied up in perpetuity. Told him, if he was looking to sell and I was buying, I wouldn't even look at it with all the restrictions that came with it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-15-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
X2
Old 02-15-2024, 02:37 PM

Default Local Fish and Game Clubs.

You would be more effective by belonging to your local Alberta Fish and Game Clubs (Now the Alberta Wildlife Federation) and keeping there Local efforts growing!
Old 02-15-2024, 03:27 PM

You could donate the land to Buck for Wildlife / Ducks Unlimited. That way you get the Money, you use the land in your lifetime, you get the Tax Receipt, and hunters and fishermen can still access the land.

Buck for Wildlife and DU are more accountable, and transparent, on its intentions.

Drewski
Old 02-16-2024, 03:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

I agree with you on this
Old 02-16-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Against my better judgment I'm going to give a concrete example of the NCC's position on hunting:
I HUNTED NCC LAND IN 2022 and 2023! With their permission to boot!

Must have been one rogue land manager eh?
Old 02-16-2024, 10:55 AM

Some NCC land was purchase with the Original Owners requiring that hunting be allowed on the land.

This condition was required for 2 bush Quarters bought outside County of Strathcona towards Tofield.

If the Original Owner does not specify access for hunting as an ongoing condition on the transfer, you are at the mercy of NCC.

Their policies can change on the land they control very easily, but sometimes they are stuck with the conditions.

Drewski
Old 02-17-2024, 06:37 AM

All NCC land in my area allows hunting, with sign in permission and certain rules. Who knows if it will remain that way. It’s all in NCC s hands.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
All NCC land in my area allows hunting, with sign in permission and certain rules. Who knows if it will remain that way. It’s all in NCC s hands.
They really don’t. They allow trespass with booked permission. I’ve hunted neighbouring property for days or weeks without seeing a soul on NCC property. Even though it was fully booked for hunting.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-17-2024, 10:09 AM

Yup, beware the environmental ideologues. NCC, Y2Y, CPAWS and pretty anything that uses the pre-fix "Eco". They're a total trojan horse intended to heavily restrict and eventually eliminate hunting, fishing and other outdoor recreational activities on public lands.

In my observation these groups heavily subscribe to the ideology that most Canadians are just squatting settlers and only Indigenous people should have hunting and fishing opportunities. In their view, the settlers interaction with the natural world should be limited to quiet observation while cucking to FN's with a land acknowledgement at every opportunity. Of course they won't come out and say that directly, it's too radical, hence the trojan horse.

I remember how much money CPAWS was pumping into every advertising platform in the twilight of the ABNDP's term while they desperately tried to push the parks designation on the Big Horn eastern slopes. Thank God they were embattled and ran out of time. Seriously dodged a bullet there!!

Thereafter came the urban idiot campaign of "Defend AB Parks". I still see these signs posted. Sure, easy slogan to sell to people who have no understanding of public land use and spend 1 night a year in a PP campground.

This topics gets my blood boiling. I'd like attend one of these organizations AGM's after chili night, drop trou and defecate on their podium. Truly give these deceptive *****s my best regards.