Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 10:05 AM

Default Bringing parts into Canada from USA

I have a small pile of parts waiting for me at the shipping outlet in Montana and plan on having my son pick them up this week.
Do I need a broker to bring them across or can he just show the paperwork and pay GST on them? Some are hot rod parts, some are tractor parts, and some are farm pickup truck parts. The receipts have my personal name and "farm" behind them (just to make it easier for my bookkeeper to sort later) (26 separate packages totaling about $10,000).

Anybody have experience with this?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2024, 10:20 AM

What you describe as being vehicle and implement stuff shouldn't be an issue, being as they are probably covered by free trade agreements, as long as they are US made, if they're for your Korean/ Japanese/Indian/EU tractor or car and made over there, that may have some duty related issues.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:26 AM

If you're importing goods for the farm, your best bet is to have a broker do the entry under your farm's business number, or your son would need signing authority and would have to complete his own entry for the farm.

Your personal goods, no issues at all, but the tractor parts and farm parts are considered commercial goods so best to be prepared and have an entry completed or be prepared to complete a commercial entry.

A lot of farm goods used for tractors/combines/etc are tax free and a broker's entry will account for the exemption codes as well.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/guide-eng.html