Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 12:51 AM

Default "The Fear" when alone in the Bush

You're hunting alone. Pushing through bush on foot, alone in the dark (pre-dawn or after-dusk). You just have your bow, and maybe bear spray if you remembered it. You know there are cougars, bears and horny bull moose out there somewhere. Hell...maybe even Sasquatch!
You hear a noise. Maybe in response to one of your calls, maybe out of nowhere. You know it's an animal, you know it's big, but you're not sure what it is.

Do you go after it or retreat away from it?

This happened to me several times this season, but today was the worst. Earlier today, I came within 60 yards of a big bull moose shacked up with a female. I don't have a moose tag so I gave them a wide berth. But every time I called for white-tail in that area, I heard crashing and snorting that sounded way too big to be a deer. I've heard enough stories about how dangerous moose can be, so each time I snuck off without tracking down the sounds. Was that the safe or stupid thing to do?

Do you guys have any advice or stories of "The Fear" in the bush? Or am I just being a Pus*y?
Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 AM

it happens and no i would not call you a *****, it is just the respect for the bush that makes one feel this way.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ahhh your alright, respect the critters and they respect you, walking into stands in the black can get the blood pumping, had a few holy poop what was that as thing crash off into the blackness but that what's it's about.
On another note carry a shotty, little pump just in case you come across a situation...remember you are part of the food chain too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-16-2016, 05:59 AM

Know the feeling well. It's all part of the Hunt. Accept it, respect it and enjoy it.
Mr Sako is my comfort in those situations.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ahhh your alright, respect the critters and they respect you, walking into stands in the black can get the blood pumping, had a few holy poop what was that as thing crash off into the blackness but that what's it's about.
On another note carry a shotty, little pump just in case you come across a situation...remember you are part of the food chain too!
And just remember that you are not necessarily at the top of said food chain. Personally I enjoy this feeling, its a big part of the appeal of hunting for me and I've been known to intentionally maximise it. I never really feel spooked... but when you are alone and days away from help or motorized assistance, watching the trails of morning mist drift through the trees, very much at the mercy of the wilderness... the beliefs of the natives that once lived here, that these forests are inhabited by countless spirits and ghosts, of varying temperament starts to seem a whole lot more logical.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
And just remember that you are not necessarily at the top of said food chain. Personally I enjoy this feeling, its a big part of the appeal of hunting for me and I've been known to intentionally maximise it. I never really feel spooked... but when you are alone and days away from help or motorized assistance, watching the trails of morning mist drift through the trees, very much at the mercy of the wilderness... the beliefs of the natives that once lived here, that these forests are inhabited by countless spirits and ghosts, of varying temperament starts to seem a whole lot more logical.
Yes, sit and become one with nature and you will feel complete and at peace.
People run of to resorts etc I prefer a stint in the woods.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 AM

I think you are doing what best suits the situation since each of your outtings is different.

I would only guess that you are concerned for the well being of you and the animal that you wish not too encounter.

My experience of animals following me was a constant for many years, so knowing this in my mind keeps me on guard at all times.

Purhaps this idea or feelings that arise too ones self is a caution flag that predicts our actions of what we might choose to do on each harvest.

I game plan my options on each outting, allowing change of plan is always on going threw out the day before sun rise to Sun set.

Hope this helps as each of us balance out our own options of how it plays out for us.

Pal Don

PS: Ones self bean is priority at all times, this is wise as it forces us too heed the warning signs.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Default warm blood

We can relate.
Part of the emotional roller coaster that is hunting.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHunter View Post
You're hunting alone. Pushing through bush on foot, alone in the dark (pre-dawn or after-dusk). You just have your bow, and maybe bear spray if you remembered it. You know there are cougars, bears and horny bull moose out there somewhere. Hell...maybe even Sasquatch!
You hear a noise. Maybe in response to one of your calls, maybe out of nowhere. You know it's an animal, you know it's big, but you're not sure what it is.

This happened to me several times this season, but today was the worst. Earlier today, I came within 60 yards of a big bull moose shacked up with a female. I don't have a moose tag so I gave them a wide berth. But every time I called for white-tail in that area, I heard crashing and snorting that sounded way too big to be a deer. I've heard enough stories about how dangerous moose can be, so each time I snuck off without tracking down the sounds. Was that the safe or stupid thing to do?

Do you guys have any advice or stories of "The Fear" in the bush? Or am I just being a Pus*y?
Maybe you are actually called in deer? and they busted you. Deer, Moose and Elk can come in pretty quiet but if they catch your wind even a deer can sound like a big animal as it "heads for the hills." Screw up the courage a notch next time and see what actually shows up.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 AM

Yup ! Definitely know that feeling when hunting in grizz country. Every little noise seems amplified and the heart starts pumping... the breathing quickens....trigger finger gets itchy...and then out pops a squirrel !
Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 AM

A month before season started, I walked from my house to go put up a tree stand. I had alrady put up the pegs, and headed off around 2200hrs (Already Dark) to go put the stand up in the tree, as it was my last chance to do so.

To get to my stand location, I have to walk through a small swampy area... Full of willows and swamp grass... I've seen moose on the camera down there before, so I know they are around... So I was up hanging my stand, and I could hear a bull grunting (kind of a low pitched bellow, I think it is 'grunting'). Thought it was neat to hear nature come alive at night. It was to my southwest in a different swamp, maybe 100 yards away.

On my walk back, I bumped at least one deer as they took off crashing into the oat field. As I cut through the swamp to get home, I heard another crashing around. This one was much bigger, and was on the other side of the fence (10-20 yards away). I figured no big deal, I must have bumped a moose. But then there was more stomping... and more stomping... The kind of stomping that makes the ground feel like it is shaking... I didn't wait around to see how the story ended and boogied home nice and quick.

I agree with what's been stated. I'm not necessarily afraid of the moose, but my respect for them is very high, especially with what I know they are capable of.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Its what I live for!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHunter View Post

That's how I feel walking around in the city. It is far safer out in the woods with the unknown critters making spooky noises. At least the animals are mostly predictable and generally not looking to harm you. The roads and highways you use to get to your hunting area are the most dangerous and most likely to kill or injure you not the animals in your hunting area.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:23 AM

The Fear that i have experienced or have watched others is when the lights go down in the woods and you have a long ways back to the truck...But what direction is it, all my electronics are dead and its cloudy all day and now evening which gives me no North star to follow..The Fight or flight sets in..
Your already exhausted from walking all day...
The Critters don't bother me so much, they don't have to wait until dark to eat me. they were already there ..
Great Topic though..and i wish i could get a Bull Moose at 60 yds to hold still right now..
Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Lightbulb

It is wise to give moose their space. I've been charged by an angry cow and had to hide in the bush. Not fun.

If something crashes off, either it's a critter I didn't want to see, or it's a target already spooked so I don't go after it unless there is an obvious way to circle it without being detected again.

In unfamiliar territory, I head out with enough light either way, much more concerned about taking a stick in the eye or rolling an ankle than any critters. In familiar territory, I am what goes bump in the night and they need to be worried about me
Old 10-16-2016, 10:10 AM

I've got a similar story and yes, it's kind of scary sometimes.
Sure gets your heart pumping.

I was walking a cutline in 349 heading to a river.
On my way there it was quiet and relaxing.
Once I got to the river, I sat on a ridge and had some lunch and enjoyed the scenery.
On my way back I saw some bear scat. I saw 2 piles. I big one and 1 small one.
Then not a few minutes later I heard crashing and stomping headed right at me in the thick brush that I could not see threw. It stopped right close to me but I could not see anything.
I swung my gun around expecting to have to fire at a bear. I slowly walk back to the road gun facing back at the sound.

I really want to back there as well as I saw a lot of game signs but I'm not sure I want to do it alone!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:29 AM

I get "the fear" from time to time, lots actually. Last week we tracked a whitetail buck for a short time after sunset until it was just too dark. Knowing this area of 400 has good bears it was especially scary when I came across a large area where a bear was digging. Tracks all around me and then hearing what I hoped was my buddy moving through the bush made the hair on my neck stand!

We broke our own rule about never looking in the dark. Thought the buck would be close but he wasn't. Left my compass in the truck and got all turned around, ugh. It wasn't fun. Afterwards, I'm like, scared? Nah......... BS!!

never found that buck but my buddies nephew took a nice whitetail the next day from the area with a wound in his neck.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 PM

I remember a time years ago sleeping in my tent around Merrit BC. Around 2:00 am I hear a very large animal running right towards me, a very heavy creature. It ran almost into my camp, then veered off. I still don't know what it was, I suspect an elk or moose being chased by something. Scared the hell outta me.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

I can say that honestly don't get scared or fear anything when hunting except when walking away from a road and heading in and having a vehicle coming and hear them slam on the brakes when they see me terrified of being shot at
Old 10-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Sitting on the edge of a meadow in the middle of the bush early September when all of the sudden I hear scampering in the tall grass headed right towards me. It got about 5' away and I finally cracked and shuffled my feet. Well here a fisher pops up and leaps into a tree right in front of my face. I verbally addressed the Lord and sprung to my feet, and the fisher bolted up the tree as fast as he could, and ended up leaping out of the tree from about 25' high. Needless to say we scared the hell out of each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbydee View Post
We can relate.
Part of the emotional roller coaster that is hunting.
Remember hiking in for a sheep Hunt, with a head lamp. Lights that fresh Grizzly poop up very well, thank you.

Grizz
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM

In northwestern ontario at the end of October you can dip net for jumbo whitefish as they spawn. Limit was 25 at the time and each one of these can be between 8-12 lbs easy. Anyways they only run at night and it can get spooky. We were really remote, as in a 2hr boat ride and we had our camp set up about 400yds from the river just off the CPR atikokan mainline. I was about 16 at the time and my uncle sent me back to the river to grab some stuff he'd left behind while he cooked supper. I was walking back there, pitch dark when I heard this loud crashing, basically a freight train coming right for me, and fast! It was happening so fast I just froze in place. Couldn't move if I wanted to. And then all of a sudden this monster moose runs up on the railroad tracks I was standing on. He was about 15rds away and he was just steaming in the night. Snorting and his breath was going about 3' into the air. This bull was easily over 55" and thick! A bell on him that probably could of tickled his knees and he stunk! He just looked both ways hopped over the track in one graceful bounce and silently disappeared into the night.

I on the other hand stood there on the tracks for another 15 mins before came around!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Suspended User

walked into a wolf kill ... shot the big black one staring me down and then all hell broke lose with the howling .. unreal .. alone , and first thought that went thru my mind .. Not Enough Bullets ... It was a small moose calf they had down ... the fear or respect is always there and it's a good thing ...

Last edited by Rio56; 10-16-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I can say that honestly don't get scared or fear anything when hunting except when walking away from a road and heading in and having a vehicle coming and hear them slam on the brakes when they see me terrified of being shot at
X2....the only thing that freaks me out is walking in the bush and then thinking about other hunters. Oh....and I get a bit jittery when I walk out of a busy bear bait in the dark.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Banned

I don't usually get scared, knowing I'm on the top of the food chain helps. And knowing everything else knows that, helps even more lol

Old 10-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer444 View Post
I don't usually get scared, knowing I'm on the top of the food chain helps. And knowing everything else knows that, helps even more lol

I'm more scared of getting shot, rather than attacked by animals.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer444 View Post
I'd have to strongly disagree with you. Humans are not at the apex of the animal kingdom, regardless of how much we like to believe it. I guess technological advances lead to this erroneous assumption.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I'd have to strongly disagree with you. Humans are not at the apex of the animal kingdom, regardless of how much we like to believe it. I guess technological advances lead to this erroneous assumption.

Speak for yourself I guess.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Suspended User

yikes ... some people need to go hunting ... for weeks ..lol
Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 PM

Generally I'm pretty calm and collected in the woods night or day. Wolves howling, stuff running off in the bush no problem but the blasted grouse taking off 5 ft in front me almost gives me a heart attack every time. HA.

Last edited by sirmike68; 10-16-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling