Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Gone Hunting

How many other planes have vanished, never to be heard from again?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM

The electrical fire scenario is plausible. However, it is common procedure to radio a distress call prior to shutting down the avionics.

I had an electrical fire shortly after takeoff once and quickly radioed my situation, informing ATC that I was making an immediate turn back to the airport. I shut off the avionics master and made a (thankfully) VFR return. I wouldn't have considered turning everything off prior to making the distress call.

Perhaps the Malaysian flight had an electrical fire or failure that precluded making a mayday call. If so, it must have happened quickly.

Having lost the main electrical buses would not have eliminated the ability to navigate. There are stand-alone flight instruments in that jet. For it to make a 90 degree turn required a pilot to select heading mode, roll the heading bug to that direction and then literally ignore it for the next few hours. Something very unusual happened there. I sure hope someone figures it out.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How many other planes have vanished, never to be heard from again?
84 since 1948..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.3 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by Ruger1022; 03-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
A decompression leading to asphyxia wouldn't explain the transponder being turned off though....
It would if you read the article I linked & copied a few posts preceding yours
Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It would if you read the article I linked & copied a few posts preceding yours
I did read the article you copied and posted....however, that scenario and what happened on Helios 522 are not the same (no fire on the Helios flight which is entirely what your article is based on). I was simply stating that what happened on Helios 522 would not result in a transponder being off.

If your interested, there is plenty of reading on-line about the Helios incident.

Last edited by 300magman; 03-23-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Hmm...

Very interesting....

This would be very interesting if this is true, or if this company had located another missing aircraft...

Searchers dispute company's claim that it may have found aircraft wreckage

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_c2
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I did read the article you copied and posted....however, that scenario and what happened on Helios 522 are not the same (no fire on the Helios flight which is entirely what your article is based on). I was simply stating that what happened on Helios 522 would not result in a transponder being off.

If your interested, there is plenty of reading on-line about the Helios incident.
I agree, the Helios crash has little similarity to this crash.

It seems lots of people really don't understand much about the equipment on most of these large commercial aircraft.

The main piece of equipment used to track aircraft is a transponder. This device sends out a signal back to radar that gives more detail about the aircraft. Depending on the type of transponder, they give out varying amounts of information. Mode A just gives a code recognition of the aircraft. The most basic still used is mode C which gives out altitude information as well as the recognition code of the specific aircraft. All commercial aircraft must have Mode S and any commercial aircraft over 9 seats need a Mode S transponder. The Mode S gives out more information and is used in conjunction with TCAS or collision avoidance equipment.

TCAS uses Mode S transponder information to send signals out to other aircraft which then is used to determine direction heading and altitude information, and then is processed to be used to prevent inflight collisions.

This aircraft will have had at least one Mode S transponder, if not up to 3, however at least one must have been working for it to be legal to fly. It also would have had at least one TCAS system working.

This aircraft also had a working Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System or ACARS system. This system sends out text message data between the aircraft and various other users such as the airline, engine and airframe manufacturer. We have reports that Rolls Royce had data from the ACARS detailing information about the engines.

Also the aircraft would have both a CVR (cockpit voice recorder) as well as a FDR (flight data recorder). Both these devices record information about the aircraft communications and flight data, and both have a ULB (underwater locator beacon). The ULB is what they were searching for and was sending out a ping that can be detected. This is water activated, and is just a battery and pinger that will turn on anytime it is immersed in water. It has a life of 30 days, and has since stopped working.

Also the aircraft would have a ELT (emergency locator transmitter). This device is not possible to shut off, and is not accessible to anyone as it is usually installed under a panel in the tail or vertical fin. It is set off under a high G load, and would have gone off in a crash. All modern ELTs are 406mhz and send much more information than the older ones. This device is monitored by satellites.

The TCAS, transponders, ACARS, FDR and CVR are possible to be shut off with either switches, or with circuit breakers. If a fire happened, it is possible that the crew may have pulled some CBs to shed loads and try to stop a fire. This happened with the Swiss Air MD11 that crashed off Halifax a few years ago.

From what I have read, it sounds like the crew had a problem, and turned back to land. Before they got to land, it is possible that they became incapacitated, and passed out. If they had the aircraft on auto pilot, it would be possible for the aircraft to continue to fly until it ran out of fuel. This could explain why it flew for so long. But it does not explain why the ELT didn't go off. If they crashed, this should have been set off, unless it crashed straight in and went directly to the bottom. However if this happened, you would expect to find debris floating, as many things on the aircraft would float.

The big problem I see is that if they do find the CVR and FDR, and if they are still in good condition, they may only get the last half hour of information from the flight, as the CVR is a continuous loop recorder, and records over it's self after a period of time. Many are 30minutes, however some are longer up to 2hrs. So if there was a problem picked up on the CVR and then the crew passed out and the aircraft flew on for many hours, the voice information will be lost. The FDR records between 17-25hrs, but may not be of much help as is only records information such as position of flight controls, engine parameters, and altitude and airspeed.

I was involved in searching for a B737-800 that crashed in Cameroon a few years ago. It took off in bad weather, and the crew failed to recover the aircraft after it went into a dive caused by a stall. It dove directly into a mangrove swamp, and disappeared without much of a trace. When we did find the location, all that was visible was a dark patch in the swamp. The aircraft was 50m deep.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Hmm...

Very interesting....

This would be very interesting if this is true, or if this company had located another missing aircraft...

Searchers dispute company's claim that it may have found aircraft wreckage

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/world/...html?hpt=hp_c2
It looks like they dismissed this claim.

http://us.cnn.com/2014/04/29/world/a...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
It looks like they dismissed this claim.

http://us.cnn.com/2014/04/29/world/a...html?hpt=hp_t2
That is the link I posted.

I would think this claim would be quick to dismiss it as it would look VERY bad on the search and rescue efforts if this was the aircraft...

It would be worth taking a look at and investigating further.

I will gladly eat my words if wreckage of this aircraft is found in the current search area
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
This is not good....

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- Malaysia Airlines said Saturday it lost contact with a plane carrying 239 people on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and search and rescue teams were trying to locate the aircraft.
Flight MH370 lost contact with the Subang air traffic control near Kuala Lumpur at 2:40 a.m. Saturday (18:40 GMT Friday).
The flight was operated on the Boeing 777-200 aircraft. It departed Kuala Lumpur at 12:41 a.m. Saturday (16:41 GMT Friday) and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m. Saturday (22:30 GMT Friday).
The plane was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members, the airline said.
The airline said it was working with authorities who activated their search and rescue team to locate the aircraft. The route would take the aircraft from Malaysia across to Vietnam and China.
"Our team is currently calling the next-of-kin of passengers and crew. Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support," Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," he added.
Malaysia Airlines has 15 Boeing 777-200 jets in its fleet of about 100 planes. The state-owned carrier last month reported its fourth straight quarterly loss.
The 777 has not had a fatal crash in its 20 year history until the Asiana crash in San Francisco in July 2014.
Well they have finally started finding parts.
How much longer till they find the plane? That's the big question
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM

Exclamation latest news- thread revived for continuity

Well, they still have not found the wreckage, but they certainly opened up a can of worms in regards to international aviation in that part of the world.
TL,DR: the pilot did it, the entire Malaysian government conspired to cover it up.
Link to the article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...rlines/590653/

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell