Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Default basement floor paint

I scuffed up the basement floor with a concrete grinder and plan to paint it any product suggestions ?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:53 AM

I've used the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy garage floor coating on a number of areas: my basement mechanical room, my cargo trailer and some client mechanical rooms that I was making extra dressed up, its worked well. You have to option whether or not to use the color chips and they also have a clear coat that can be put over the chips (the clear is more expensive). I've also used the clear in conjunction with sand for traction on a homemade cargo ramp that's a sheet of treated 3/4" plywood with 3 2"x6" 's screwed to it. the thing holds up great left outside running into my shipping container.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM

What finish are you looking for? If you just want a straight grey there are lots of cheap options available from home depot for around $30 a gal IIRC. The Rustoleum is ok just make sure you remove all the dust with a shop vac. You will also want the clear coat if there is possibility of any oil spills or rubber being placed on it.

I find the best stuff to be StonCoat GS4 from StonCor, but it is pricey. My whole basement was done with GS4 slate grey. It took an afternoon of masking and 2 days for application of 2 coats and I gave it 3 days to dry as the weather ended up being wet and very humid.They also have many other floor coating depending on what look you are trying to achieve.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 PM

How old is the slab, and is there any cracking at all ?

If it's settled and there's no cracking, go with the 2-part garage epoxy kits (pick a brand)...

If it's new and/or has cracks, wait for them to stop expanding then fill and paint* the floor (Rustoleum is fine).

* keep in mind, any paint is going to wear-off under minimal traffic...

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 06-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Acid stain. Unicorn concrete has it. I just did my garage floor. Check out youtube. I wish my basement floor wasn't painted I would have done it down there as well.