Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
A reversal would be a 180! But this is truly a mystery! I hope they're all Alive and in the Congo.
too much media, had heard it did a 180 and then resumed course?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
too much media, had heard it did a 180 and then resumed course?
A reversal of a reversal? Things are getting strange for sure! Could we be entering the rapture?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
A reversal of a reversal? Things are getting strange for sure! Could we be entering the rapture?
lol. it is definitely a weird situation all around...
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Cant even fathom...I have a huge fear of flying..

No words...pray for the best..
I'm OK with it as long as I don't think about what's below the sheet metal under my feet

I know you're a gajillion times more likely to get killed in a car wreck, but there's something about having absolutely no control over the situation, combined with being 30-some thousand feet up in the air that makes me a little nervous.

Crazy story, tragic for the innocent people involved, whatever the cause is determined to be.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
I'm OK with it as long as I don't think about what's below the sheet metal under my feet

I know you're a gajillion times more likely to get killed in a car wreck, but there's something about having absolutely no control over the situation, combined with being 30-some thousand feet up in the air that makes me a little nervous.

Crazy story, tragic for the innocent people involved, whatever the cause is determined to be.
This is precisely the psychology behind my fear of flying as well. And we implicitly know there's virtually no reasonable expectation of survival in a plane accident.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM

I use to break out in a sweat ever flight, no control, in a tube with 200 other people. Claustrophobic feeling I guess. However now I am ok with it, not my favorite way to travel but really no choice in certain destinations.

I happen to be flying back from PV on a 777-200 with West Jet last Friday when it came on my little seat screen. Made me a little nerves.

Praying for a miracle for the passengers and their families.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
I use to break out in a sweat ever flight, no control, in a tube with 200 other people. Claustrophobic feeling I guess. However now I am ok with it, not my favorite way to travel but really no choice in certain destinations.

I happen to be flying back from PV on a 737-700 with West Jet last Friday when it came on my little seat screen. Made me a little nerves.

Praying for a miracle for the passengers and their families.
Fixed it for you,

I always imagine myself doing a triple flip to swan dive out of the tube when I am 35000 ft, I am grateful for not having the fear of flight.

I am at a complete loss at what could have happened to this missing aircraft. To many theories out there,
I hope the families get some sort of closure soon...

Here is a video, it makes the most sense to me so far..
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=70a_1394582382

Last edited by Ruger1022; 03-11-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Conspiracy theories ?? Anybody?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
Reports of two oil slicks, no wreckage.
When Sully and crew put it down on the Hudson, they were quickly surrounded by ferry ships.
This is how it turns out with a water landing everywhere else....perhaps.

Knock on wood....
Sullenbergher was incredibly lucky. Most jets don't do well when they land on water. Most flip and break up. That is why it was dubbed the "Miracle on the Hudson".
Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Authorities are saying they can't find a ping from the ELT.., tells me that is wasn't activated. The ELT can be activated in many diffrent ways, manually,automatically by a G-switch (gravity switch) which will activate when it senses a crash, it also will activate when it hits water ect. These things are made to take a beating similar to the "black box" (which is really an orange box) voice recorder.

Today A total of 40 ships and 22 aircraft from an array of countries including China and the US are now involved in the hunt across the waters.

I sure hope they find somthing..
I am confused about this too.

That aircraft has an ELT, FDR (flight data recorder), and CVR (cockpit voice recorder). The ELT would go off due to a crash, and the FDR and CVR both have a ULB (underwater locator beacon) which is activated when immersed in water. Plus the aircraft would most likely have 2 mode S transponders that give altitude and heading information to ATC, and it also would have a TCAS transponder which does the same, but is used to inform other aircraft where it is for collision avoidance. These instruments would be sending out signals to ATC unless they were turned off. The ELT and ULBs are not accessible from the cockpit, and therefore would be set off in a crash and immersion in water. The aircraft has all these pieces of equipment designed for redundancy, and therefore it is highly unlikely all systems would fail at once.

If the aircraft was hijacked, the crew would most likely have time to set the transponder code to indicate it is being hijacked. The cockpit doors are all built to prevent easy access, and is only able to be opened from the cockpit. So if the transponders were turned off, then I would suspect this would only be possible if the crew were forced to do it, or they were involved.

ATC tracks commercial flights with radar using the transponder to give flight information. This radar is height limited, so it can't pick things up if it is flying low, or "below the radar". However the military do use radar that tracks things right down to the water or ground, but usually don't track commercial flights unless they were in the area and were tracking the location where the aircraft was.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post

That aircraft has an ELT, FDR (flight data recorder), and CVR (cockpit voice recorder). The ELT would go off due to a crash, and the FDR and CVR both have a ULB (underwater locator beacon) which is activated when immersed in water. Plus the aircraft would most likely have 2 mode S transponders that give altitude and heading information to ATC, and it also would have a TCAS transponder which does the same, but is used to inform other aircraft where it is for collision avoidance. These instruments would be sending out signals to ATC unless they were turned off. The ELT and ULBs are not accessible from the cockpit, and therefore would be set off in a crash and immersion in water. The aircraft has all these pieces of equipment designed for redundancy, and therefore it is highly unlikely all systems would fail at once.

If the aircraft was hijacked, the crew would most likely have time to set the transponder code to indicate it is being hijacked. The cockpit doors are all built to prevent easy access, and is only able to be opened from the cockpit. So if the transponders were turned off, then I would suspect this would only be possible if the crew were forced to do it, or they were involved.

ATC tracks commercial flights with radar using the transponder to give flight information. This radar is height limited, so it can't pick things up if it is flying low, or "below the radar". However the military do use radar that tracks things right down to the water or ground, but usually don't track commercial flights unless they were in the area and were tracking the location where the aircraft was.
unless it was turned off all at once

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ctronic-system
Old 03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
unless it was turned off all at once

https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ctronic-system
Yes, like I said, it would have to be done with the action of the crew. If they were hijacked, I suspect they would have set off the hijack code prior to anyone unauthorized gaining access to the cockpit.

Here are the three most important emergency squawk codes for transponders:

7500 – Hijack
7600 – Lost Comm (radio failure)
7700 – Emergency
Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Such a weird story, I don't understand how in todays age they can just lose an airplane. My bet is that if it was hijacked Nato knows where the plane is and doesn't want to let whoever hijacked know because they're sending guys over on a rescue mission. Could be our own JTF2 if the plane was taken by terrorists. My other prediction is that it was shot down by the vietnamese. If the whole plane exploded in mid air I doubt you'd fine much of a wreckage.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, like I said, it would have to be done with the action of the crew. If they were hijacked, I suspect they would have set off the hijack code prior to anyone unauthorized gaining access to the cockpit.

Here are the three most important emergency squawk codes for transponders:

7500 – Hijack
7600 – Lost Comm (radio failure)
7700 – Emergency
unless it was turned off by a passenger who bypassed and breached the firewall for the novel and unusual computer architecture. or while testing the firewall the failsafe shutdown everything during a test.

The integrated network configurations in the Boeing Model 777-200, -300, and -300ER series airplanes may enable increased connectivity with external network sources and will have more interconnected networks and systems, such as passenger entertainment and information services than previous airplane models. This may enable the exploitation of network security vulnerabilities and increased risks potentially resulting in unsafe conditions for the airplanes and occupants. This potential exploitation of security vulnerabilities may result in intentional or unintentional destruction, disruption, degradation, or exploitation of data and systems critical to the safety and maintenance of the airplane. The existing regulations and guidance material did not anticipate these types of system architectures. Furthermore, 14 CFR regulations and current system safety assessment policy and techniques do not address potential security vulnerabilities which could be exploited by unauthorized access to airplane networks and servers. Therefore, these special conditions are being issued to ensure that the security (i.e., confidentiality, integrity, and availability) of airplane systems is not compromised by unauthorized wired or wireless electronic connections between the airplane information services domain, aircraft control domain, and the passenger entertainment services.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Successful completion of the Philadelphia Experiment?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

The Boeing Model 777-200, -300, -300ER series airplanes will incorporate the following novel or unusual design features: An onboard computer network system, and a network extension device. The network extension device will improve domain separation between the airplane information services domain and the aircraft control domain. The proposed architecture and network configuration may be used for, or interfaced with, a diverse set of functions, including:
1. Flight-safety related control and navigation systems,
2. Operator business and administrative support (operator information services),
3. Passenger information systems, and,
4. Access by systems internal to the airplane.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post

Or the Chinese navy testing out a new railgun
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
unless it was turned off by a passenger who bypassed and breached the firewall for the novel and unusual computer architecture. or while testing the firewall the failsafe shutdown everything during a test.

The integrated network configurations in the Boeing Model 777-200, -300, and -300ER series airplanes may enable increased connectivity with external network sources and will have more interconnected networks and systems, such as passenger entertainment and information services than previous airplane models. This may enable the exploitation of network security vulnerabilities and increased risks potentially resulting in unsafe conditions for the airplanes and occupants. This potential exploitation of security vulnerabilities may result in intentional or unintentional destruction, disruption, degradation, or exploitation of data and systems critical to the safety and maintenance of the airplane. The existing regulations and guidance material did not anticipate these types of system architectures. Furthermore, 14 CFR regulations and current system safety assessment policy and techniques do not address potential security vulnerabilities which could be exploited by unauthorized access to airplane networks and servers. Therefore, these special conditions are being issued to ensure that the security (i.e., confidentiality, integrity, and availability) of airplane systems is not compromised by unauthorized wired or wireless electronic connections between the airplane information services domain, aircraft control domain, and the passenger entertainment services.
You don't know much about aircraft do you?

It is not accessible to passengers, and you would need to be very familiar with the equipment and location to be able to do what you are saying.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don't no much about aircraft do you?

It is not accessible to passengers, and you would need to be very familiar with the equipment and location to be able to do what you are saying.
The report states that it may be accessible and breached, and it's a far closer guess to what happened to the plane as to why nothing is showing up (beacons and the like) and why it may have gone off course, or why everything turned off.

Also, maybe the 20 code writers from Freescale were in-flight testing the features for Boeing - or not - or bored and curious as code guys are.

Just an accident caused by the failsafe.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM

I think I'll go out on a limb & side with the career aviation mechanic on this one.

My tinfoil conspiracy theory is with a hikacked & redirected aircraft. I've seen conflicting reports today about Rolls Royce getting telemetry data from the Trent engines that indicated they ran for 5 hours, which is long after it dropped off monitors (Wall Street Journal). However another article noted that wasn't confirmed. Rolls Royce has a data centre that monitors all of their clients engines; coincidentally, I had even watched a factory tour documentary on the Trent engine production facility a day or so before this incident that showed the monitoring centre; there are staff scrutinizing feedback data in real-time all of the RR engines aloft.

If it was redirected, where the heck could one land that and keep it secret? If so, is the motive to repurpose it as a flying bomb, or to hold the passengers for ransom? Both? I think to land it anywhere would require a vast network of co-conspirators. If it was redirected and then it crashed that would be more plausible, as then the debris field would be away from the search area. There's too much stuff in those that can float to miss. Are there actually military forces aware of its location keeping the truth suppressed in order to mount a rescue as was already postulated? All in all a pretty crazy mystery, and definite tragedy. The theory floated on the cell phones being powered up sounds less likely, as then they could easily have been found through GPS. Bizarre. Perhaps if redirected it could have crashed into a jungle or somewhere difficult to search....
Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think I'll go out on a limb & side with the career aviation mechanic on this one.
Quote:
have you seen the pic from the tomnod website? it looks like fuselage with a liferaft or an oil tanker
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Perhaps if redirected it could have crashed into a jungle or somewhere difficult to search....
....... and salvaged of every scrap before it will ever be found like the crash in south america
Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM

I wonder if they didn`t have a radio/electric/electronic emergency and were somehow able to "land the plane" on water without triggering a crash safety device (like the one on the Hudson).... funny though. I heard that some of the victime's facebook accounts were logged after the crash....
Old 03-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: gif tomnod pic.gif (42.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
What's this from...?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

if Bush were still in office, he woulda told Malaysia officials to tell the people that the plane completely dissintagrated like the plane on 911 that crashed in the field in pensylvania
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
What's this from...?
digital globe, but I think it's fake.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
What's this from...?

CNN 3 Day's Ago........
Old 03-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
if Bush were still in office, he woulda told Malaysia officials to tell the people that the plane completely dissintagrated like the plane on 911 that crashed in the field in pensylvania
With how hot rocket fuel burns I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was left. Especially on a flight with enough fuel for another 7 hours.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
That's funny....kinda.