Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Default C71 has received Royal Assent

Not everything is in place as far as infrastructure yet, some of it will take a while and OIC's have to be issued yet, but, technically, it is now law.

https://www.parl.ca/LegisInfo/BillDe...Gl9jPef1bfmlDo

C-71 is now law. So, what now?

Upon receiving Royal Assent, the following provisions came into force immediately:

* Authority to make regulations to grandfather individuals to retain possession of newly prohibited firearms;

* Authority for Chief Firearms Officers (CFOs) to issue, at their discretion, an Authorization to Transport (ATT) to take a prohibited firearm to an approved range. (Currently, the Act prohibits CFOs from issuing an ATT to a shooting club or range for prohibited firearms, with the exception of a prohibited handgun grandfathered under section 12[6.1] of the Firearms Act.);

* Authority to make it punishable to contravene the Firearms Marking Regulations;

* Authority to make regulations regarding the transmission of records;

* A Criminal Code amendment to clarify that firearms and other weapons that have been seized and are in the custody of law enforcement at the time that a firearms prohibition order is issued shall be forfeited to the Crown, unless specified otherwise in the order; and

*Part 2 of the Bill which amends the Ending the Long-gun Registry Act to, among other things, direct the Commissioner of Firearms to provide, on request, the Minister of the Government of Quebec responsible for public security with a copy of the remaining registration records of non-restricted firearms related to residents of Quebec.

The remaining provisions are expected to come into force at a later date by Order in Council and once administrative changes have been made.

These include:

* The requirement for licence verification for transfers of non-restricted firearms;

* The requirement for businesses to keep records as they relate to non-restricted firearms;

* Expanded background checks for those seeking to acquire a firearms licence, including increasing the consideration period from the previous five years to span the history of a person’s life;

* Removal of the authority for the Governor in Council to ‘deem’ firearms to be of a less restrictive class (e.g. non-restricted or restricted) despite meeting the criteria for a more restrictive class (e.g. prohibited) and grandfather owners of CZ/SA firearms; and

* The requirement for a separate authorization when transporting restricted and prohibited firearms to any place except to an approved shooting range, and from the place of acquisition to the place of registration.

When do stores have to start recording details of all gun buyers and the guns they buy?

As noted above, the requirement for businesses to keep records related to non-restricted firearms would come into force by OIC at a later date and not on Royal Assent.

Hope this helps.

Now, go volunteer with your local CPC EDA so that we can get this nonsense reversed...four months from today.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM

"The requirement for licence verification for transfers of non-restricted firearms"

Is this for business only or if you sell a NR on the EE, gunshow etc.?

The word "transfers" to me imply's a registered gun being transferred not simply selling something.

I went to Walmart and had a crock pot transferred to me.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
"The requirement for licence verification for transfers of non-restricted firearms"

Is this for business only or if you sell a NR on the EE, gunshow etc.?

The word "transfers" to me imply's a registered gun being transferred not simply selling something.

I went to Walmart and had a crock pot transferred to me.
This isn’t just for business’s. If I sell you a rifle I have to call the CFO to verify that your PAL is valid. They then give me a reference number and I’m supposed to keep track of what I sold and to whom.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:10 PM

To hell with that. I have a buddy who had his guns stolen he reported it. 4 years later they wanted to take his guns because he let his liscence expire.....they cant even keep track of already stolen firearms. Think they have the manpower to track old farmer bob and his Cooey. Not a chance.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:30 PM

Well welcome to communist Canada it is now official. Funny though nothing about the criminals registering their guns.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
To hell with that. I have a buddy who had his guns stolen he reported it. 4 years later they wanted to take his guns because he let his liscence expire.....they cant even keep track of already stolen firearms. Think they have the manpower to track old farmer bob and his Cooey. Not a chance.
Nope, they don’t have the manpower but what if Blaire and Trudeau ban all semi auto rifles, even non restricted. You say screw the government, I’m not handing in any of my guns. Two years down the road you are hunting and get stopped by a RCMP or fish cop. They happen to notice you have a Browning BAR on the seat beside you. You are now in possession of a prohibited weapon and it is going to cost you a significant amount of cash.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Banned

Venezuela, here we come! Or is it the gulags?
Old 06-22-2019, 11:42 PM

Default when

Are we going to ditch Britain and stop acting like a colony.Cut the umbilical cord already.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:18 AM

Well at least I don't think our military will back the Liberals if push comes to shove. The Liberals have stabbed our military in the back so much we barely have a military.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 AM

i sure hope libtards dont get elected ,if they do hope we seperate along with at least sask and man

if not that then join the gong show that is the states ...... maybe have some benefits in regard to guns and carry ..... pistols should be allowed/carried lets say if having a pal for 5 years and over the age of 30 ......Murica and all that ...lol

and ya no kidding screw Minor Britain/colony position and royle assent etc etc .... my first time traveling abroad to see my girlfriend who had to go back to england ...... someone in whistler told me about (the wrong way) of applying for work as i wanted to go there for 5 months .... so got searched at airport, resume stuff seized and asked wtf ..... told them ya id like to find a temp job ....passport seized and given a week to leave ...was like wow , really ,i cant come here from a commonwelath country and apply for a part time job while i visit ...nope ....again very young ,like 20-21 ,naive
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Well at least I don't think our military will back the Liberals if push comes to shove. The Liberals have stabbed our military in the back so much we barely have a military.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. In the states, I believe the mayor of New Orleans that outright stated, during hurricane Katrina, that all guns in private possession are to be seized and only law enforcement will have guns. And you know what happened? People's guns are taken from a gun point, in a country that has the 2nd amendment right.

However there were few that didn't get their guns taken away. Those people were the people that heavily armed to the teeth and were together in a group in massive numbers. The law enforcement just let them be, due to the reason of being outnumbered and out gunned. They don't want to get shot. Law enforcement are still people, and people still bleed.

So, here's the take away. All military, RCMP, and police in Canada equals to about 100K. The amount of LEGAL gun owners are 2million+. We have the numbers in our side, the only problem will be to organize these 2Million + for a single cause.