Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
lds lds is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 489
Default Jet drift boat

So just curious as there isnít a whole lot out there but thinking if itís worth turning a tinny into a jet drift boat. Basically would cost about $6-7k all in to make it with a 20hp jet outboard.
- is 20hp enough for a 14í aluminum boat with 3 people on board to cruise up river?
- what do you think the boat would be worth once finished. Itís an old boat but brand new motor
- is a normal aluminum boat an ok haul design for it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2020, 02:26 PM
MooseRiverTrapper MooseRiverTrapper is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,588
Default

A 20hp jet will not get that 14í on step. It would barely push it around.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:04 PM
Paintedblac Paintedblac is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 144
Default

take of 30% power if you put a jet on the outboard
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:23 PM
lds lds is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 489
Default

I thought a new jet is rated accordingly to the loss of power
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Paintedblac Paintedblac is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 144
Default

I know my mercury was marked 90/60, 90 engine 60 at the jet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Jfs Jfs is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Default Outboard Jets

Outboard Jets like calm water into the intake.
V-Hulls do not produce it.
Flat bottom boats do.
25 hp jet = 18 hp at the output.
Your Boat will cavitate and would be a failure.
I have a Fish Rite 16' Power Drifter with 40/30 Yamaha 4 Stroke works great for me and 2 others as the boat is much lighter than the Hyde or Super Drifter.
I Had a 14' Modified V, Flat Bottom with 2 Stroke 25 Merc Jet..
It worked great. For me and one other person.. I built it for the Bow after using drift boats for 2 decades
I put it together in 2002 and all in cost a shade over $10k at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM
Etownpaul Etownpaul is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 247
Default

I have a 16' modified v (front is V, transitions to flat) with a 40/25 Merc jet outboard on it. It's deadly with two people in it. Tons of room to fish and she planes out real nice.

Weight distribution is key. I'm 240 lbs so me and the 200lb motor weigh down the back end pretty bad. I moved the battery, gas tank and anything else of substantial weight to the front of the boat along with the wife and dog. I'm looking getting at a bow mount trolling motor and I should be golden.

3 can comfortably fit in the boat, and I can just barely get on plane with two people sitting at the front. 4 people, forget planing. I don't load more than 3 in her now since its a dog if its loaded up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 AM
lds lds is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 489
Default

Ok thanks. Guess Iím not gonna bother with it. Just wanted to know if it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Altaboy Altaboy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 191
Default

I have 1756 Crestliner Retriever Jon with a 50HP Tohatsu withch is proberly 30-35 HP at the pump. It works ok with 3 people and some fishing gear. My top speed is 32KPH up stream. I'm into the boat for about 18 grand and the only reason I went this way is that I already had the boat and motor. The pump and riser plate came to $3500. If I were to do it from scratch I would go look for a used 16 or 17 foot Explorer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 AM
Parker Hale's Avatar
Parker Hale Parker Hale is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs View Post
Outboard Jets like calm water into the intake.
V-Hulls do not produce it.
Flat bottom boats do.
25 hp jet = 18 hp at the output.
Your Boat will cavitate and would be a failure.
I have a Fish Rite 16' Power Drifter with 40/30 Yamaha 4 Stroke works great for me and 2 others as the boat is much lighter than the Hyde or Super Drifter.
I Had a 14' Modified V, Flat Bottom with 2 Stroke 25 Merc Jet..
It worked great. For me and one other person.. I built it for the Bow after using drift boats for 2 decades
I put it together in 2002 and all in cost a shade over $10k at the time.
Ridden in and fished from this boat many times (Hey James, how are things?). Really nice boat, solid and smooth even when powering up the river. I'd buy something like this.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 PM
kilgoretrout kilgoretrout is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
So just curious as there isnít a whole lot out there but thinking if itís worth turning a tinny into a jet drift boat. Basically would cost about $6-7k all in to make it with a 20hp jet outboard.
- is 20hp enough for a 14í aluminum boat with 3 people on board to cruise up river?
- what do you think the boat would be worth once finished. Itís an old boat but brand new motor
- is a normal aluminum boat an ok haul design for it?
This would be a one man boat, as mentioned you lose a third of your power at the pump I have both a John with a 40/30 and a powerdrifter 50/35 both 16ft The John is noticeably slower when I add the 3rd person but that's okay as its my hunting/pike boat and I generally have only one passenger as you need room for the gear anyways The 50/35 flies and is easy to row but I have stripped it down considerably weight wise from the showroom ..... long and short of it is weight your enemy with a jet both for running and rowing .....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 AM
QBC's Avatar
QBC QBC is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 116
Default

I've got a G3 1756VB, V bow Jon boat, with a Yamaha 40/30 jet on it. No problem with 3 people, a pile of gear in it and it also averages at 32-34 kph going upstream. Tons of room to fish and a incredibly stable platform. I bought it when the Canadian dollar was almost par with the the US dollar, so the package was $14k. The picture is after I mounted a light bar and running lights on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (52.2 KB, 167 views)
__________________
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!....

Last edited by QBC; 01-25-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 PM
StringTheory's Avatar
StringTheory StringTheory is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 185
Default

This is an idea I have been looking in to. Some of the best fishing in AB is on the rivers. Just need a way to get out on them. I remember reading an article by the Jensen's a while back on their drift/jet boat setup. Here is the commercial but I cant find the article yet.

https://vimeo.com/175578685

Looks like a Crestliner Jon with a Evinrude Jet.

There is a decent tunnel hull jet on kijiji right now too:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ler/1434707375

What do you experienced drift jet owners think? Is this Alumacraft a good boat for maybe 3 people? I'd like to fish the NSR all the time and a couple trips to the Bow per year. Also would add oars to row.
__________________
Aquabatics Ambassador
Old Town Kayaks Ambassador
Visit my blog:
www.stringtheoryangling.ca
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Tungsten, Tungsten, is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 452
Default

You can always tell which boats have a tunnel. The water gets disturbed and air gets in. So you here the cavitation from the air. Boats with out the tunnel. Flat bottom should have the Center rib removed about 30Ē worth from the transom so water doesnít get disturbed.
So for a small jet ,tunnels donít work that well.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:43 AM
QBC's Avatar
QBC QBC is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
This is an idea I have been looking in to. Some of the best fishing in AB is on the rivers. Just need a way to get out on them. I remember reading an article by the Jensen's a while back on their drift/jet boat setup. Here is the commercial but I cant find the article yet.

https://vimeo.com/175578685

Looks like a Crestliner Jon with a Evinrude Jet.

There is a decent tunnel hull jet on kijiji right now too:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ler/1434707375

What do you experienced drift jet owners think? Is this Alumacraft a good boat for maybe 3 people? I'd like to fish the NSR all the time and a couple trips to the Bow per year. Also would add oars to row.
That is almost the same boat I have. My 30HP Yamaha jet pushes my 17ft G3 boat, three people and gear with no problem. Great on fuel compared to the bigger boats. 120 kms on the Peace river in one day, burned about 11 gallons of fuel.
__________________
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Jayhad Jayhad is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,632
Default

I think I saw a new jet John for around $18,000 at the BP Tracker store
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.