Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 10:15 PM

Default Out of province inspection

Talking to a guy selling a jap mini truck he brought in. Claims passed inspection and registered the inspection 4 1/2 months ago, don't know what that means,, never registered or insured. Says ready to insure but is fixing lights before selling it, claims only a recommendation on the inspection. Don't sound right to me, thoughts?
Old 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM

Walk away, it's not going to pass.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:32 PM

If it passed inspection, he wouldn’t be fixing lights as the only “recommendation” of the inspection. Also, the owner has something like 10 days (don’t quote me on that, I do not recall the exact number) to fix the issues for the secondary inspection to be done for free; would have to pay again if it is beyond that period. So if there was an issue with lights, then it didn’t pass the inspection and a reasonable person would take care of the issue during those ten or whatever days in order to save $300 or whatever it costs nowadays.

Also, not sure what he “registered inspection” actually means.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:36 PM

He says all I need is the bill of sale and good to go. I cancelled immediately.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:11 PM

If it has never been registered in Alberta, It MUST have an out of province inspection.
Maybe a good call to back out...

Old 04-22-2024, 07:42 AM

He says it is done but months ago and the inspection itself is registered and doesn't need to done again. This I don't get.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:46 AM

Default inspection

You have 2 weeks to register it after the inspection, if you don't the vehicle has to be inspected again. Have fun
Old 04-22-2024, 08:07 AM

I did out of province inspection but unfortunately I don't remember the numbers. You can inspect and if it passes you can register the inspection and then that registration is valid for some time until you get insurance.

Call the Registry or check the website they know exactly how it works.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:17 AM

So, number of things in play. Vehicle is right hand drive. If it is more than 15 years old it is exempt for safety lights etc. Double check current import rules to make sure this didn't change in the last few months.

If it has never been registered it needs to pass an out of province inspection. If it has passed you have 14 days after inspection to register it.

https://www.alberta.ca/out-of-provin...%20Inspections.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:32 AM

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...lated-vehicles

The 15 year old exemption rule appears to still be in effect.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:17 PM

Just started this process last week, 2010 GMC Terrain from my sister was going to buy it for my granddaughter, was told by the inspection facility I have to go to the AB registry office and get the form, went there and was told I need the bill of sale or original registration they would then enter the information and print the inspection report, in the end didn't need to do it as the granddaughter wanted a smaller vehicle, kids cheese and rice.

Anyway a friend just moved from Ontario to Lloydminster and needed to get an AB inspection, 2020 chevy transverse with 112K, went to an inspection facility here in town and was told she needed $2400 work in order for it to pass, she went to a 2nd place here and it passed with no work needed, like everything there are shysters after your money.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:32 PM

Some of you are giving wrong info.

It is possible to take a vehicle for an out of province inspection, have it pass and then have it entered in the system without ever insuring or registering the car.

The easiest way to find out if it has an active Alberta reg is to do a VIR (vehicle information report) Its $25 at any registry office. Don't need anything except the serial number.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

It is possible to take a vehicle for an out of province inspection, have it pass and then have it entered in the system without ever insuring or registering the car.

The easiest way to find out if it has an active Alberta reg is to do a VIR (vehicle information report) Its $25 at any registry office. Don't need anything except the serial number.
I wonder how long that is good for.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
I wonder how long that is good for.
How long what is good for? Once the inspection has been done and the vehicle has been entered in the Alberta system, it is now an Alberta vehicle. Good for ever....or until it leaves the province.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
How long what is good for? Once the inspection has been done and the vehicle has been entered in the Alberta system, it is now an Alberta vehicle. Good for ever....or until it leaves the province.
Once licensed in AB it's good no more inspections needed as long as it stays registered in AB.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Even if the vehicle itself has never been registered?
Old 04-22-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Even if the vehicle itself has never been registered?
Correct.

Being registered and being entered into the Alberta system are 2 different things.

As I said before it does not need to be registered to be considered an Alberta vehicle. As long as it is in the "system"

Go get a VIR done. You'll know instantly for $25
Old 04-22-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:

This is absolutely correct. In this case however, the OP knows the vehicle has never been registered here nor has it been registered in the system, from what the vendor told him. If this is in fact accurate, no point in spending 25 bucks. Also, if the inspection is more than 14 years old it is expired and needs to be redone to register it or enter it in the system.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is absolutely correct. In this case however, the OP knows the vehicle has never been registered here nor has it been registered in the system, from what the vendor told him. If this is in fact accurate, no point in spending 25 bucks. Also, if the inspection is more than 14 years old it is expired and needs to be redone to register it or enter it in the system.
OP says the seller said the vehicle "passed inspection and registered the inspection 4 1/2 months ago"

To me that means it was inspected, passed and entered into the system.

Only way to find out is to do a VIR.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
OP says the seller said the vehicle "passed inspection and registered the inspection 4 1/2 months ago"

To me that means it was inspected, passed and entered into the system.

Only way to find out is to do a VIR.
Sorry, you are correct, I just reread the original post. . When I read it yesterday morning, I remember it saying it passed inspection 4 and a half months ago. I don't remember it saying the inspection was registered. If it was, the vendor should be able to give him a copy of the registration.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:44 PM

"registered" (pink owners registration) and "registered the inspection" are 2 different things That is why I replied in the first place.

It is confusing and 1/2 the time even the sellers don't know what exactly to do.

I don't like the wording "register the inspection" it makes it even more confusing lol.

When a vehicle needs an OOP.

It has:

-never been done

-been done and failed

-been done and passed...entered into the system

-been done and passed...not entered into the system (which is dumb)

-been done and passed....and registered to the owner.