Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 01:33 PM

Go to the court date, enter a plea of guilty but express to the judge that you now realize you made a mistake and explain the situation as to how it happened. The judge may reduce the fines and or allow you extra time to pay. He may even throw the case out as the tags were confiscated as well as the fish.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-26-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Go to the court date, enter a plea of guilty but express to the judge that you now realize you made a mistake and explain the situation as to how it happened. The judge may reduce the fines and or allow you extra time to pay. He may even throw the case out as the tags were confiscated as well as the fish.
Might be worth a try. Bring the kids and let them experience the court and proceedings, lesson learned. If you have a liable and honest explanation the judge might reduce. As some and most have said, you are and will be always guilty for the way you handled the situation. You did wrong, by not putting tags on when caught. Know what is right. I might have gone so far as to push that tag as far down the throat of the Wally and told the F&W to get it out by gutting it. There are always ways to attach a tag and keep it there. Improvise. Sorry it happened and hope it never does again
Old 05-26-2020, 03:30 PM

If you go the court route, bring the kids. Put on their rattiest clothes, don’t comb their hair, and maybe find a dead bird, tie a short string around it, and have your youngest drag it around like it was his pet that he’s having a hard time letting go of.
Judge might even cut you a cheque! Haha.
Seriously though good luck.
Let us know how it panned out.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If you go the court route, bring the kids. Put on their rattiest clothes, don’t comb their hair, and maybe find a dead bird, tie a short string around it, and have your youngest drag it around like it was his pet that he’s having a hard time letting go of.
Judge might even cut you a cheque! Haha.
Seriously though good luck.
Let us know how it panned out.
hahaha sounds like they would be sent to child services going this route.

I personally dont agree with bringing the children to make some sob story for the judge to hear. Just not the right thing. I would just plead guilty tell them its an accident and request for it to be reduced especially with the covid thing being difficult for everyone financially.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
hahaha sounds like they would be sent to child services going this route.

I personally dont agree with bringing the children to make some sob story for the judge to hear. Just not the right thing. I would just plead guilty tell them its an accident and request for it to be reduced especially with the covid thing being difficult for everyone financially.
Gotta admit I agree with this. Bring the kids and show them how you can do wrong and then whine and hope the judge has sympathy.
Why not just instill in the kids that if you break the law, even mistakenly, to man up and face the consequences.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
We had the same situation at Pigeon. Canadian Tire had run out of the wires needed. What I did was use leader material instead ran it through the mouth and gills and stuck the tags to it. I also used a stapler to secure the tags onto the leader line . We were stopped by a F and W officer. He checked our catch , shook his head and thanked us for our ingenuity. The key is show the tags were secured to the fish. Good luck
Haha i have had to do the leader material for tags wire thing lol.
Any hardware store sells haywire. This shouldnt be an issue. Go prepared and you are good to go. Sorry OP I know it stings. If everyone was honest we wouldn't need officers.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariocerna View Post
When you lost your job, have two mortgages and 4 teenagers. Every cent is worth fighting.
Sounds like you already had your mind made up before posting on here. Not sure what you thought you would get out of this.

Good luck though if you do fight it. And, I understand why you would.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:35 PM

Rules state you must tag the fish immediately upon retaining it... so therefore at MOST you should have had one untagged fish... or none. When you went to tag the first one you should have realized you did not have what you needed and either went to go get it OR stopped fishing and throw that one back... or have a catch and release day.

You know what you had to do... but chose not to, accept the fines.

LC
Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Have to give you a ticket man.
Otherwise every poacher would be doing this without having to worry about repprocutions.
Sorry. Lesson learned.
^^This^^

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-26-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Rules state you must tag the fish immediately upon retaining it... so therefore at MOST you should have had one untagged fish... or none. When you went to tag the first one you should have realized you did not have what you needed and either went to go get it OR stopped fishing and throw that one back... or have a catch and release day.

You know what you had to do... but chose not to, accept the fines.

LC
Exactly.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 PM

Ticket does suck for sure and it was a mistake and lesson learned but once you realized you had no wires why not just go back to the truck and get them and start fishing again.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
God dang it Moose, don't tell him that. Seriously though, as a former lawyer who spent years in criminal courtrooms, just don't do it. "We" (judge, prosecutor, defence, court personnel) are there every day and will recognize it for the cheap ploy it is. Already seen that move a couple hundred times...
Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 AM

You sure opened up a can of worms here ! What were you thinking

Why did you not get the wire as soon as you caught the first walleye.
You knew if you would of gotten caught ,you would of gotten the fine.
You took the chance. man up and plea guilty .
Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
God dang it Moose, don't tell him that. Seriously though, as a former lawyer who spent years in criminal courtrooms, just don't do it. "We" (judge, prosecutor, defence, court personnel) are there every day and will recognize it for the cheap ploy it is. Already seen that move a couple hundred times...
Exactly.....OP mentions hard times....better ways to spend your dollar and time too....go fishing legally and enjoy a day out on the water.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I know that the fine was lawfully, but like a case when you get laid off without proper notice and you get a lawful but unjust severance; then you have to go to the a labor lawyer and he gathers a history of legal plaintiffs to support your case he sues your former employer and then you get a more just severance. Here why I’m asking is not whether the fine is lawful or not, I’m asking whether this can be win in court because can be supported by the legal plaintiffs history, perhaps there is a lawyer in this group that can give more advice.

To say that if you fight this I hope you lose sounds a little too crass so I will just say I hope you don't win. I think you are just looking to play the system and hope that by wasting everyones time you can get away with something. Your "history" has nothing to do with it, just means you weren't caught before.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:11 AM
Banned

have to go with the crowd here....

the best outcome for this would be a lesson for the kids. explain to them that the fine is high, but you deserved it......for everything you do, there is a consequence, so remember for next time; before you do something wrong, consider what the consequence might be, and act accordingly.

what kind of example is whining to the judge and asking for leniency going to be for young people who need to be taught the right way to do things? have a discussion with them and explain that the warden wasn't the bad guy, he was doing his job.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 AM

OP, sorry man. I know the feeling of money being tight, but if it was extremely tight, staying home would have been a better option. Leisurely activities are really best for when you can afford it. In the past when I was low on money, don’t fish (gas - especially if towing a boat - and tags and licence cost add up). Also investing in time to apply for CERB, EI, and look for a new vocation would be more valuable. Once you have stability, fish away!

Sorry it happened, but that’s the way it goes. Make a mistake and there are consequences... Cabelas not having wires is not an excuse, as there are many items that could do the same thing.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:30 AM

Not worth fighting this one.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip

Last edited by FishHunterPro; 05-27-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 AM

You should have went back for the wire when you first realized you didn’t have it and put the fish back. I don’t think you will do that again so the system works. This is not intended to be a rude post it is what it is.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 AM

As with any ticket, you can go to the court house the day your ticket is due to be paid and go into the crown prosecutors office a give him/her your story. They usually give you a break of some kind. I would never plead not guilty to this and request to see the judge, you may get a 5 year fishing suspension because you made him/her mad by blatantly dis-obeying the law and not understanding or accepting you did wrong and are teaching your children the wrong things.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:34 AM

Unjust fines? If you don’t realize your fault in this, you deserve to have your license revolked. Seriously, give your head a shake. You went out fishing knowing you couldn’t tag them, and as stated, kept retaining fish without tagging. Your at fault plain and simple.
I will say the fines are a bit steep, yet if they weren’t people would be risking the tickets everyday.
Don’t expect to spin some story on a judge. They’ve heard them all and will likely cut you off and increase your fines and punishment. For gods sake don’t bring your kids to court, I don’t even think their allowed.
If your honestly going to struggle with paying the fines, go to court and plead guilty. Be a man about it, and tell the truth. If your lucky you Might catch a bit of a break. Again, don’t try and make comparisons to labour laws or whatever.

I’ve seen zip-ties used, yet the leader idea sounds much better. Even plain fishing line with the knot in the sticker would have been a decent attempt. Yet knowing you were going fishing and didn’t have wires, and didn’t even attempt to make your own, makes me suspect you knew the whole time you were in the wrong and the chances those fish would have met a frying pan tag free are decent. I don’t know you, so don’t take it personally. Your labour law circle logic was a red flag IMO.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I would also like to take this moment to welcome you to this forum.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM

Bought the tags Wednesday, had plenty of time to go and find some wires before the weekend. Your friend had wires in the truck so when you realized you forgot them then go and get them. plenty of other ways to affix them if you didn't want to drive back to the boat launch. There was 4 people on the boat and not one person could think of a way to attach the tag?
No one here is going to give you advice on how to get away with poaching
Old 05-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Got our walleye tags at CT, took forever to get them, so left quickly, not noticing that only 2 wires for 6 tags. Didn't notice till that night. PITA--but went back and got the other 4. As many have said, just about anything could have been used. I make every trip out planning to get stopped by a CO. Takes an extra 5 min to do a gear check, to prevent a bigger headache later.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:52 AM

You should have clued in when you went to tag your first fish, when you couldn't tag It, it should have gone back in the water.
It's a hard lesson, but a lesson none the less.
JH
Old 05-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Haha it partially pertains.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 02:00 PM

Very sorry to hear of your current strain with employment and funds.

I guess I echo everyone else related to the facts of the case though....
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Or the admin is the OP
Group is the moderator
OP is the group

Quote:
Haha it partially pertains.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Or the admin is the OP
Group is the moderator
OP is the group
I personally have no issue if someone wants to get a little sloshed before 2:00 in the afternoon. Good on ya...
Old 05-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
When you lost your job, have two mortgages and 4 teenagers. Every cent is worth fighting.
Go to court, plead your case, plead guilty most likely will be lowered.
Then ask for time to pay or instalments or even community service work.
Teachable moment for all involved.
WDF

Tags
fine officer tags f&w