Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 11:17 AM

Default Calling lake / sandy lake access conditions

I was hoping to head out the Friday of the family day weekend and try my luck on either of these 2 lakes. Just looking for reports if access is achievable by truck or is it sled in only? Haven't been North in a monthor 2 and heard there is piles of snow up that way? Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,

Dave F
Old 02-13-2022, 04:40 PM

Cannot vouch for calling but a couple other lakes to the south east had a fair amount of floodwater in many spots.
A few spots I drilled where there was flood water under the snow the ice was in very poor condition almost felt rotten, auger was digging not shaving.

Usually don't get this till mid late March and only with the last 4-5 inches
Old 02-14-2022, 10:33 AM

Snow pack has dropped 2 foot. Heavy hard crust as it all re froze. Trails flooded and re froze and are two rails if ice.

Fish are not moving. Neighbour put in a net with a 3 day soak. 5.5 inch mesh size. A total of 20 fish, 6 Pike over 10 pd with one about 16 - 18 od, 2 ling, and the rest all whites.

New was set in about 8 fow, so there should have been alot more fish and some walleye if the fish were active.

Drewski
Old 02-14-2022, 06:49 PM

There is giant Jacks in Sandy !!!!!
Old 03-06-2022, 05:20 PM

Any recent updates on ice conditions, access, and bite at Calling? Might head up there this week.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:26 PM

Just got back from Calling. Fishing was very very slow and access was very rough. Basically sled only and even there its extremely rough.

Wow was the fishing slow though. Is this common for Calling in the winter??
Old 03-14-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Just got back from Calling. Fishing was very very slow and access was very rough. Basically sled only and even there its extremely rough.

Yup
Old 03-16-2022, 09:30 AM

Was there a lot of floodwater? Could you get an ATV on the ice? We are heading up that way this weekend and next, but likely to Orloff.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
Was there a lot of floodwater? Could you get an ATV on the ice? We are heading up that way this weekend and next, but likely to Orloff.

Thanks!
Zero floodwater. Quad would be a grind.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:58 PM

Default No heaves, low oxygen levels, fish deep

I'm hearing from alot of lakes that the fishing is dead slow and the fish are not at all aggressive.

Then I hear of a recent report on really really steady bites near a big ice heave, but no where else on the lake?

Not hard to figure out. Low Oxygen levels, so you have to go deep for the fish.

Not what people want, but ice is thick with lots of snow and not alot of heaves being reported.

Heaves replenish the oxygen with direct contact with open water from the heave. As cooling water sinks from the surface, oxygen is carried down, and that is what keeps a lake alive on a long winter.

Drewski
Old 03-16-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I'm hearing from alot of lakes that the fishing is dead slow and the fish are not at all aggressive.

Then I hear of a recent report on really really steady bites near a big ice heave, but no where else on the lake?

Not hard to figure out. Low Oxygen levels, so you have to go deep for the fish.

Not what people want, but ice is thick with lots of snow and not alot of heaves being reported.

Heaves replenish the oxygen with direct contact with open water from the heave. As cooling water sinks from the surface, oxygen is carried down, and that is what keeps a lake alive on a long winter.

Drewski
Could have been just a slow few days for me, but I fished out to 38ft. Don't think its responsible to fish walleye much deeper than that. Marked very little and those we marked weren't interested. Thats fishing. Who knows.

Are you saying fishing close to a heave can be an effective spot when things might be slow?
Old 03-16-2022, 04:42 PM

Yes, fishing close to a heave can be productive if there is a lack of oxygen in the water.

I expect that the slow fishing is about to change with snow melt seeping into the lakes, and warming the water up.

It is still very early to think that the fish are stacked on spawning structure, so it can most likely be low oxygen.

Drewski
Old 03-16-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Drewski
Partly right. Dissolved O2 levels will increase around open water via diffusion, not from sinking per se. Water density varies with temperature and is densest at 4*C on the bottom during the winter and lightest just under the ice at 0*C. Water needs to *warm* not cool to sink during the hardwater season. This is the opposite of the open water.

Also, fishing can be good around heaves because it offers "reverse structure" that suspended predatory fish use to hunt. This is a common tactic employed by experienced anglers on Lake Winnipeg for large greenbacks.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Do you think you could drive on after this warm weather and snow melting or settling ?

Going to be going just worried not enough snow for sled
Old 03-16-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
Do you think you could drive on after this warm weather and snow melting or settling ?

Going to be going just worried not enough snow for sled

There's plenty of snow. You'll get around on a sled much better than a truck.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
There's plenty of snow. You'll get around on a sled much better than a truck.
Awesome thanks a lot
Old 03-17-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Zero floodwater. Quad would be a grind.
Thanks! We only have ATV’s so we are limited to that. We were up in Lakeland a few weeks back and it was impassable even with sleds because of the floodwater. We watched one fellow across Touchwood Lake spend and hour getting across on a sled because he would hit floodwater every 300 metres. And we were powerless to help given we barely got out half a km without having to turn back. Needless to say the only thing we caught that weekend was a hangover.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:59 AM

"Partly right. Dissolved O2 levels will increase around open water via diffusion, not from sinking per se. Water density varies with temperature and is densest at 4*C on the bottom during the winter and lightest just under the ice at 0*C. Water needs to *warm* not cool to sink during the hardwater season. This is the opposite of the open water."

And you are partially right. at 0C the water is less dense when it goes through a faze change to form ICE, which is why it floats on water. However, as I said, with the melt and run off the warm water entering the lake will get things moving, as the run off and melt is absorbing oxygen on the surface.

But anyways, the fishing will improve over the next few weeks. As for the lake conditions for getting around, the best thing that can happen is warm windy days to strip the snow off the lakes. They will be the usual slick sheet of ice, so put on some creepers and enjoy!

Drewski
Old 03-17-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Snow pack has dropped 2 foot. Heavy hard crust as it all re froze. Trails flooded and re froze and are two rails if ice.

Fish are not moving. Neighbour put in a net with a 3 day soak. 5.5 inch mesh size. A total of 20 fish, 6 Pike over 10 pd with one about 16 - 18 od, 2 ling, and the rest all whites.

New was set in about 8 fow, so there should have been alot more fish and some walleye if the fish were active.

Drewski
There’s guys netting calling?
Old 03-17-2022, 09:45 PM

Yes there was one guy netting a month ago, with little luck. He is a member of the Bigstone Cree, and one of the few who still do net fish.

Most of the old timers who would net fish in the winter and spring are too old and sick, or dead.

The young people have no interest in netting fish and think that fish are gross. The young members all want to move to the City because it is more exciting.

That is the honest truth about the young members of the community who could get a netting licence.

Drewski
Old 03-27-2022, 01:26 PM

was anyone able to drive onto Calling this weekend ?
Old 03-28-2022, 11:32 AM

Not that I saw. Plowed trails from private cabins had flooded and re froze. Absolutely slick.

Crossed the lake and got beat up by frozen drifts of about 1 foot. Would have rather faced George Foreman in the ring instead.

May need a kidney transplant after that beating sledding across the lake.

Also 42 " of hard ice is no fun to drill about 30 holes over the weekend. Auger ran great, but 10" holes are punishing on the back and shoulders.

Drewski
Old 03-28-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Not that I saw. Plowed trails from private cabins had flooded and re froze. Absolutely slick.

Crossed the lake and got beat up by frozen drifts of about 1 foot. Would have rather faced George Foreman in the ring instead.

May need a kidney transplant after that beating sledding across the lake.

Also 42 " of hard ice is no fun to drill about 30 holes over the weekend. Auger ran great, but 10" holes are punishing on the back and shoulders.

Drewski
Yeah, I was wondering what it would actually be like on the lake. That sounds like I would have expected. We got to the PP last weekend (the 19th) and choose to fish elsewhere. Both launches were not "vehicle" passable and we just had a truck. I'm not sure if anyone tried since then either...

Now all I can say is "melt fast!"
Old 03-28-2022, 10:45 PM

Every year it seems like Calling is a write off for getting around ..
Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 PM

I had a guy out front of my place (north beach, Calling lake) and he was stuck way out on the ice. My son and I went out and it took my expedition and his tundra to pull him back onto the trail. No way I was driving. my truck out there. We went fishing, and just before dark he got stuck again. This time after we got him out, I told him to stay on the trail and pin that sucker ounce you get moving. He did get off there ice, but all his stuff in the back of his truck was bouncing pretty high. I can only imagine the mess he had. Why a couple of mature men would go out on Calling lake without even a shovel in their truck is beyond me. There was no one within a couple of km's from him and he was a long way off shore. If it wasn't for us going out to catch a couple of walleye he would have had to phone a friend for help. He was from Thorhild, so it would have had to be a very good friend. We all need to help each other out when we are in the bush, but please at least bring along some basic gear to help yourself get out of trouble.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:08 AM

Good on you Barry D for helping out. It is frustrating when people do not come prepared.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:00 PM

Sounds like amateur hour. I never fish without a couple shovels, jack-all, tow ropes, and tire chains if needed. Sandbags have also saved my ass a couple times as well when breaking through surface water. Low riding Silverado doesn't helps things either haha.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good on you Barry D for helping out. It is frustrating when people do not come prepared.
X2...It happens. Hopefully it was a good learning experience.

I got bit one time following a smaller truck's tracks off the lake who crossed overtop of a hard drift just before shore. He had made it past ok but my full-size pickup dropped through and was hung up so bad no amount of shovelling was going to get me out. Luckily there was a 24hr tow company nearby and I was pulled out in a few mins.

Sucks there is still that much snow, but hey sounds like no flood water