Default Tying flies

I see there are many fly tyers here.

How did you get started?
What flies did you start with?
Who are your main influences?
Do you tie personal custom flies?
How long have you been tying?

Add more if you like.....

A friend gave me a beginner's package because he didn't like it....and I was hooked ever since.
My Father and Davie McPhail (on you-tube) is my main influence.

Please add some pics to the "from the vice" thread.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Got started as a kid by seeing a friend tie flies
No true patterns just attempted to make something to catch salmon
Don't have any just tied to catch fish on something I made
I am not one to follow patterns and make lots of unknown flies
Been tying flies for 20 years

My advice for someone getting started is learn how to apply the materials and let your imagination run wild.

I really need to take pics of my ties someday. I have a lot of patterns I have thrown together over the years that work well. My ties are rarely seen but I have had lots of compliments from those who have seen them.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 PM

I took a beginner fly tying course at Fish Tales fly shop. It was great getting a pro to teach me the basics like dubbing, tying down, hackle, etc.

Started out with simple stuff like SJ worms and rick's caddis. Now I mostly tie dries, Stimmies are my favorite to fish.

I do tie a lot of unique and custom flies of my own design, some of them even work!

My main influences are the fish! If they don't like it, I stop tying it. If they like it, I tie more, and try different variations. Looooove experimenting with my dries on little cutties and rainbows around here.

I've been tying about 4 years, pretty prolifically.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Started a few years ago, started with the basic, hares ear, pheasant tails leeches woolly buggers etc, started tying chironamid patterns and still water patterns the last few years, self taught, throat pumped a lot if fish to see what they were eating, size and where the fish feed is the most important factor for me when I'm tying, you tube has lots of information .
Old 12-22-2013, 03:10 PM

How did you get started?
My Grandfather, Father and Mother tied, I was doomed.

Royal Coachman (traditional winged dry fly), I could not go fish with my Dad and Grandad till I mastered it. In those days we tied "in hand".

See above

I was a commercial tier for many years, I tie now for a few clients only.

Since 1959

Have a Merry Christmas

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Been tying 53 years
When I started a guy said "you got to learn to tie a nymph"
the only nymph I new about at that age (17) had 2 legs and wore a skirt.
Join a fly club and you will probably end up meeting some of the best guys you will ever meet in your life. And they will teach you how to tie also.
Bjay
Old 12-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

Cool

I started with my ex wife holding vise grips as I tyed , my first fly was :red plastic bad , silver xmas tinsel ,black kniting wool.
Glasgows canal pike loved it.
After I got proper gear I started with traditional wet soft hackles (kokanee love them ) then royal coachman streamers (west arm rainbows) black bear ants. Hex nymphs. Then as I grew to love the gerrards I moved toward polar bear and bucktail streamers.
Barrie waters , pete sokarove (sp)and the fish are my main influence. I tie what I see work. Each season btings its own palette of colors. I try to work from the sky , the water, and the hillside. Winters purple dawn , falls azure sun set , summers emrald sky, the vibrant green of springs new growth.
I tied hundreds of kootaney bucktails for sale (paid for my derbys ) I still tie for friends .
First fly 1995.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

I started tying around 25yrs ago,but admit I've gone thru phases of inactivity,then get inspired again...tie all gung ho for a few more years etc.
Not alot of patience for tying tiny dries,more into tying streamers and Atlantic salmon flies....not the classics,but moreso "working" flies that catch fish and actually get used,hairwing wets,buckbugs,bombers,butterflies etc.
Was fortunate to live for most of my life only minutes from Atlantic tying legend Warren(Dunc)Duncan,and I try to emulate his style of hairwing wets.Dunc and Dave McPhail are my tying heros I guess,I aspire to be half as neat as Davy and 1/10 as fast as Dunc someday,lol.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM

well i Started at 10 years of age. first fly I Tied was Custom ( ugly as hell but i got a Large Mouth Bass) never Taken lessons just did what i thought they should look like . walked in a couple fly shops and looked and went home and made them ..... the owners of the shop are awesome because they thought that for not knowing or having lessons i did pretty good. and gave me sample flys to copy
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 PM

How did you get started?
I sent a message to one of the guys on the forum here who is extremely knowledgeable in tying, building, and fishing! Went for a visit and am addicted now! Lol
small leach patterns, elk hair caddis
Fished with my dad when I was a kid, always spin fishing, but loved it. Got back into it a few years ago, and haven't stopped!
I make some variations of patterns I've found, but haven't gotten too creative yet.
1.5 years
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM

I've been tying for about 20 years, (I started when I was about 8) I mostly tie for myself but have tyed for others. My parents bought me my first fly tying kit. first flies I ever tied if I remember correctly was a wooly bugger and royal coachman.