Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Default New cases of CWD found in Alberta wild deer

From the ASRD Information Bulletin:

"Edmonton... Twelve new cases of chronic wasting disease have been identified in wild deer as a result of Alberta’s fall surveillance program. Hunters have submitted more than 4,800 wild deer heads for testing since September 1, 2009."

For more information, go to the Information Bulletin.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

how can that be??????? the bio's told us the deer would all be dead by now! how can the rate of infection be 0.00249%? what is going on here?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM

12 infected animals / 4816 tested = 0.00249 or 0.249%

Still a very low number, compared to rates in other areas. Maybe our climate is a factor. Maybe the infected deer just don't survive very well here. With this potential restriction on infected animals, transmission rates would be lower here than in southern climates as infected Alberta deer just don't live as long.

A usefull and interesting number from the data would be the ages of infected deer.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

or maybe computer modelling is a load of manure. the new GUESS from srd is that mule deer bucks are to blame. word is there will be even more antlered mule tags issued in cwd areas to eliminate the threat. will they ever use the known facts of cwd to make a decision in this province or just keep experimenting?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 PM

WHAT? Stop the study? And stop spending millions of dollars and employing dozens of people involved in the "research"?

Environmental research is BIG business. U of A is doing well with CWD.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

honestly i dont think money is driving this one. i think its even uglier than that.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
honestly i dont think money is driving this one. i think its even uglier than that.
What do you think it is about then?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What do you think it is about then?
The same thing as trying to keep Alberta rat free. It's something that we don't want in the province.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

i cant say who said this or i will never be given inside info again, but the exact words from someone high in this was that "we here in alberta have been given the chance to experiment with things at such an early stage in disease development and spread, that we may be able to discover something that noone else has".
in every post i have ever made regarding cwd, i have stated nothing but printed facts. anyone can find it on google, or as i have said it can be found in the thread "cwd in 119". this next statement is now my opinion, and not a printed fact. so what im seeing is that someone is conducting experiments on albertas public resource to try to find fame within their profession for a possible new way to do something that so far noone else has figured out. the evidence from nearly 40 years of this disease's known history is completely being ignored to try to satisfy someone's ego. all the science and evidence is being ignored, and thats what i see happening.
again, thats my opinion, and if it is as right as i think it is, that person really needs to explain things to the public.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i cant say who said this or i will never be given inside info again, but the exact words from someone high in this was that "we here in alberta have been given the chance to experiment with things at such an early stage in disease development and spread, that we may be able to discover something that noone else has".
in every post i have ever made regarding cwd, i have stated nothing but printed facts. anyone can find it on google, or as i have said it can be found in the thread "cwd in 119". this next statement is now my opinion, and not a printed fact. so what im seeing is that someone is conducting experiments on albertas public resource to try to find fame within their profession for a possible new way to do something that so far noone else has figured out. the evidence from nearly 40 years of this disease's known history is completely being ignored to try to satisfy someone's ego. all the science and evidence is being ignored, and thats what i see happening.
again, thats my opinion, and if it is as right as i think it is, that person really needs to explain things to the public.
x2 I agree with that.The issueing of more tags is just a way of hunters doing the culling for them so they don't have to face the "spotlight" of the culling program they used before. Everyone should just ban together and nobody enter a draw in a cwd area. They would probably just find a excuse to shoot them then.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO View Post
x2 I agree with that.The issueing of more tags is just a way of hunters doing the culling for them so they don't have to face the "spotlight" of the culling program they used before. Everyone should just ban together and nobody enter a draw in a cwd area. They would probably just find a excuse to shoot them then.
that would be great, but too many people have had the theories and guesses presented to them as fact and believe it as such. what needs to happen is to have more people educated on the fcats of this disease. heck our own AFGA as a group officially supports reinstatement of culling. unfreakingbelievable!!!!! even some of the fish cops i have talked to from the start who were once vehemently opposed to culling have been brainwashed by the cull crusaders and have switched their opinion. anyone who has read up everything that has been posted here on this forum has seen the facts laid out. even the bio's arguing to start culling again presented evidence that it is completely ineffective. anyone who cares should be calling, e-mailing etc the AFGA and at least get our own guys to see the facts for what they are. anyone who missed it check out the thread "cwd in 119"

Tags
chronic wasting disease, cwd