Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Great price on Castrol GTX Dino oil

Not sure if all walmarts are selling it at this price, but in whitecourt they have 5L jugs of Castrol GTX with Anti-sludge or something like that for $9.00. Its 5w30 conventional. Just figured id pass it along, regular price is 22.99
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Not sure if all walmarts are selling it at this price, but in whitecourt they have 5L jugs of Castrol GTX with Anti-sludge or something like that for $9.00. Its 5w30 conventional. Just figured id pass it along, regular price is 22.99
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check the local WalMart and see if it's cheap here as well.

It seems that even the "cheap" oil is getting expensive. The local GM dealership is running a big sale in the local paper for a 3 pack of regular oil changes for $150. I've been doing my own on for quite a while and I can do a full synthetic for less than $50.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM

yah if you have the know how and the time to do it yourself you can save yourself ALOT of $$$ changing your own oil. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM

I have a trick I use on my oil filters and oil pans/drain plugs; I put a rare earth magnet on the filter and swap it to the new filter at change time, I also put one beside the drain plug that I'll remove prior to draining. Every little bit helps in keeping abrasive particulate at bay . After I'd been doing this for a decade I recently found some neat rigs for the oil filters, but only bought one; it was starfish-shaped piece of plastic with 5 or 6 rare-earth magnets embedded in it that you pop onto the end of your filter; Can Tire had them about a year back, but not the last time I looked. The magnets I'd been using for years are the ones available at Lee Valley Tools.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have a trick I use on my oil filters and oil pans/drain plugs; I put a rare earth magnet on the filter and swap it to the new filter at change time, I also put one beside the drain plug that I'll remove prior to draining. Every little bit helps in keeping abrasive particulate at bay . After I'd been doing this for a decade I recently found some neat rigs for the oil filters, but only bought one; it was starfish-shaped piece of plastic with 5 or 6 rare-earth magnets embedded in it that you pop onto the end of your filter; Can Tire had them about a year back, but not the last time I looked. The magnets I'd been using for years are the ones available at Lee Valley Tools.
Do you just stick the magnet to the filter or do the magnets need to be secured with something like a hose clamp? If not,I know those magnets are strong but have you ever had one come off?

I sure don't doubt that it works and certainly know that it would do no harm,but is there any way to verify how much more particulate they capture?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM

Why arent the drain plugs magnetic anymore?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:02 PM

The rare earth magnets do not need any assistance in holding themselves to a filter, or anything metallic. I think Lee Valley rates the 1" ones at 35lb, and that's no exaggeration; you cannot pull them off straight, they have to be slid apart (the disc ones come in tubes like rolled candy). The best way to check what extra particulate they catch would be to cut the oil filter apart with the magnet still attached. Cut the filter with something like a large tubing cutter that wouldn't generate a bunch more grit to skew the experiment results.

Some drain plugs have magnets, but not all that I've seen.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Good question ^

I'll be takin' a trip to the Lee Valley store next week ... thanks for the tips (posts #4 & #7) CaberTosser!

TF
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Most ford diesel plugs are magnetic. GM and chev trucks are magnetic i believe as well.