Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Default NBorth Buck report

Some good perch, some small perch. Action varied, fair number of throw backs, but the fish I cleaned all were full of shrimp. Ice on Sunday was getting to be a concern. Drove on with the sled at the park boat launch, and the edge had broke back about 5 feet in the morning. Lots of surface water with some snow patches. Guys were driving on at the narrows with trucks, but overnight I am told a heave formed. Friends fishing today found even more water, and fishing was dead slow.

I drilled a number of holes, and the ice is starting to crumble at the bottom, as opposed to cutting clean. Ice thickness was still about 18 to 24 inches, but was not the blue hard ice you want to see. I was a bit concerned, but the ice is still driveable if you want to take a vehicle on, and take the chance. 15 above with a hot wind does no good for the ice.

Still, a nice day out, and some OK perch to be had if you are patient.

Drewski
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Was out yesterday - concur that ice conditions are deteriorating, but should be fine until tomorrow. Got on at prov. park at noon - no problem. Got off at prov park about 6:00 - about three foot gap from shore to ice. Caught about 20 perch in 5 hours, kept 7. Also got a couple of jacks. Pretty decent day, all in all. One more crack at it till the season's over (oops, probably not the right word to use) so good luck to anyone heading out tomorrow.