Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

"
Without immigrants we won't have CPP anymore so may we should be a little more appreciative."

Curious. Any idea how many collect CPP who contributed nothing or very little or are citizens of convenience? Just curious.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"
Without immigrants we won't have CPP anymore so may we should be a little more appreciative."

Curious. Any idea how many collect CPP who contributed nothing or very little or are citizens of convenience? Just curious.
If their own country has a pension program that they paid into and they come here close to retirement and become Canadian, it is suggested that they claim their overseas benefits. Not sure if emerging nations are up to par in that regard though, but my parents get to claim a portion towards their pension from England. On another note, Canadian civil servants are the largest group in proportion to other 1st world country govt's that move taxable income into off-shore accounts,,, it's a huge chunk of lost revenue. One thing has come to light on income dispersal with newer immigrants, is a percentage is usually gathered from a household and sent back to the home country family,,, while this has benefits in the larger family scheme, it is also less money being spent at home.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Did anyone catch the Clint Eastwood movie the other night called "Gran Torino",, not brilliant but does somehow bridge that newer-newer immigrant gap.

Here's a good/funny scene from the movie,, It has some language so you might want to bypass it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0
"Gran Torino" ... great movie, and good example!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post

. . . People blow this stuff way out of proportion. Most people don't care if you wish them a Merry Christmas if they aren't Christian. I'm completely non-religious and I'm not offended. And I wish others Merry Christmas because it's part of our culture in Canada.

I've had plenty of Muslim friends at work and elsewhere wish me a Merry Christmas as I assume they think I'm a Christian.

Who cares? Wish people whatever you want to. Unless you're a government official, no one is going to behead you for being a polite guy wishing well to someone.

Try it sometime and no one will care.
Well said Geo!

Merry Christmas to All!

TF
Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Once again, I'll have to go with Okie ^ on this one.

Really ... the OP's complaint about immigrants (new Canadians) is hundreds of years old. To me it's just a big yawn (very old news) .

When I was just a young little tyke way back in the late 50's and early 60's, I can still remember the old folks talking about how the Irish and Scottish immigrants were hated so much back in the early 1900's for their odd way of talking, their 'immigrant' music, their Catholic religion, and how they liked to live together rather than mingle with the rest of us Canadians. Sound familiar?!?!.

In those same years (late 1950's & 1960's) I can still remember how badly the Polish and other immigrants were hated at the time. Does anyone here remember the term; 'Pollock' ? And then there's the Ukranian immigrants, and well I could rant on for several more paragraphs.

Bottom line is ... If you don't like the fact that this nation is a country of original native peoples and immigrants who have arrived here over the last four hundred years, then I'd be more than happy to show you to the nearest border exit!

TF
I don't think many of those Scottish immigrants were Catholic, Calvinists and Protestant sure
Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmcgrandle View Post
I don't think many of those Scottish immigrants were Catholic, Calvinists and Protestant sure
but the Irish probably were catholic. besides, what has scotland given the canada besides haggis, shrek and the figurehead on canadian tire money.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM

screwed without them ? so when I take my 2 trade tickets to a company in search of a job this past winter when work was slow for all us tradesmen, and they ask what i expect for $pay, and I reply that as a Ft. McMurray worker i made $40hr but that the typical steel worker Edmonton shop employee is about $30ish and they reply their going rate is $18-$20hr and I see the shop floor filled with east asian workers I know that there is no place for a regular canadian with 1 wife 2 kids 1 family in house paying for school-soccer-music...etc but if we put 3 family in one house in gentrified neighbourhoods and take work at cut rate wages: badda bing welcome 2 Canada
Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

The bag pipes and the two songs that go with them.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
screwed without them ? so when I take my 2 trade tickets to a company in search of a job this past winter when work was slow for all us tradesmen, and they ask what i expect for $pay, and I reply that as a Ft. McMurray worker i made $40hr but that the typical steel worker Edmonton shop employee is about $30ish and they reply their going rate is $18-$20hr and I see the shop floor filled with east asian workers I know that there is no place for a regular canadian with 1 wife 2 kids 1 family in house paying for school-soccer-music...etc but if we put 3 family in one house in gentrified neighbourhoods and take work at cut rate wages: badda bing welcome 2 Canada
Are you mad at the workers or your fellow Canadian enforcing cheap labour.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The bag pipes and the two songs that go with them.
I hate Mul of kyntyre, Paul McCartney ruined it. And the old Spice theme is getting old.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
And most do?

Are you sure about that or is that just wishful thinking?
You bet we do
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
No sympathy here.....

Go get another ticket and specialize.....make your skill set impossible to pass up. No one is entitled to any job in the "free market".
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

ya know, i think the same about other canadians who come to alberta to make a better life. i have no issues sharing the wealth here, but cant stand listening to how great the east is or saskatchewan in particluar. if its so great there what are you doing here?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ya know, i think the same about other canadians who come to alberta to make a better life. i have no issues sharing the wealth here, but cant stand listening to how great the east is or saskatchewan in particluar. if its so great there what are you doing here?
Agreed!!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Default I am

We need immigrants. They need houses, cars, gas, shoes, and other things. American market is bigger so prices are lower. To keep population growing government is allowing about 1/4 of a million a year to immigrate. In 50's, 60's and 70's majority came from Europe. As standard of living in Europe improved, less were willing to uproot the family and emigrate. So majority come from a third world countries. And they are a visible minority (55% in Vancouver is majority). When I drive my pick up, walk on the street I am Canadian, when I open my mouth I am immigrant (came 30 years ago at 25 years of age and my accent my sons were learning to be sexy)LOL. Go to any university and most of the students are Asians, children of the first time immigrants. Many times I am surprised that Asian looking person speaks perfect (canadian) English. Ukrainian, Polish, German and other immigrants did a fine job leaving fine Canadians to build this country. Like Telus says "The future is friendly" we can expect immigrants from Europe again.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Welcome the ones who came here to be Canadian and are willing to assimilate......the ones who didn't get two choices for the ride home, coach or cargo.
I wholeheartedly agree. My grandparents came from across the pond (Netherlands) and worked hard, learned the language, and became Canadians. I respect the courage and dedication it took for them to do that, but I know they didn't come expecting a hand out which, to me, is the fundamental difference between some immigrants and others.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 AM

What does hijabs have to do with not saying Marry Christmas?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I hate Mul of kyntyre, Paul McCartney ruined it. And the old Spice theme is getting old.
I was thinking about those two songs about women.

Actually i think I dated both of them

Amazing Grace and My Bonnie lies over and over.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I loved Gran Torino lol.

I personally have never come into conflict with immigrants. Part of that might be because I grew up in Newfoundland, one of the few places left in the world with an almost completely white population. I don't mean that in a superior way but the fact is if you grow up somewhere that everyone shares your beliefs and customs you've got no reason to develop bad blood towards another group. But that's beside the point.

I meet alot of immigrants in the work place and asside from the mildly irritating language barriers I think they're mostly warm genuine people who really did come over here striving for a better life for themselves and their families so I gotta give it to them for that.

With that said I do get heated now and then when I hear about Canadian laws being systematically bent to suit other cultures. Some of that is a good thing but some of it is just flat out wrong. As an example I hate the idea of Shiari (Did I spell that right?) courts dealing with Muslim issues outside of established Canadian laws. It also burns me up hearing about "honour" killings in which immigrant parents kill their own children for assimilating too much Canadian culture. People like that should have been shot before they even got on the boat.

There's a reason North America has outshined the rest of the world for so long; it's because the "immigrants" who came over here first wanted to build a new better society than the one they came from. They embraced change and progress and broke free of the 10,000 years of tradition that still rule the eastern world.

In short the people who started here were a practical sort. They were too busy surviving their first winter to build a stone cathedral to worship in. Not that they didn't build churches but it just wasn't as high on the priorities list as it was with their parents. To survive here they balanced their spiritual life with practical concerns like how to build a warmer house. And so necessity forced us to get strong and progressive.

Ofcourse now that we are so strong, naturally people still want to come here. And that's fine, that's great in fact because we need the manpower. The trouble is they're no longer coming here in desparation to escape their opressive culture (Well some still are), they're coming here because it's easy to come here and easy to live here. They can pack their culture in a suitcase and jump on a plane and they don't have to change one bit if they don't want to.

Anyway, I'm startin to bore myself. Immigrants good, fanatics bad
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
X2
Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM

Just going to put it out there; a little food for thought. The vast majority of original caucasian immigrants, and their decendants did/do not live in a traditional first nations lifestyle. Hence, they failed to assimilate to the lifestyle and society of the people here before them. If that is your criteria for what makes a good immigrant, then a great deal of our oldest and original immigrants failed to uphold the values you have just determined.

Rather, I would believe that we might measure an immigrants worth by the extent and effort they put forth in their efforts to contribute to Canada in all it is, rather then to what extent they become like yourself.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Just going to put it out there; a little food for thought. The vast majority of original caucasian immigrants, and their decendants did/do not live in a traditional first nations lifestyle. Hence, they failed to assimilate to the lifestyle and society of the people here before them. If that is your criteria for what makes a good immigrant, then a great deal of our oldest and original immigrants failed to uphold the values you have just determined.

Rather, I would believe that we might measure an immigrants worth by the extent and effort they put forth in their efforts to contribute to Canada in all it is, rather then to what extent they become like yourself.
I have a ton of respect for Osoyoos Indian Band Chief Louie... take 1/2 hour to listen to all 7, or just listen to this one, to get a flavour.

He talks about why First Nations should adapt and quiet whining-he's pretty blunt.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I immigrated to Canada in 1980 from a third world country and became a Canadian in 1983. Here's my 2 cents about immigrants since I deal with new and current ones on a daily basis. It doesn't seem to matter where they come from in the world, there are individuals that see the Canadian passport or PR card as a convenience.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post

It's a little more complicated than that. The white man was far advanced technically than the aboriginals. If an immigrant can contribute to his adoptive country with something positive where's the problem? There is none. If he simply brings the problems from his homeland and brings the quality of life down in his new country then it is an issue.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM

We are all just people, no matter what language you speak, what food you eat or what religion you follow. We are all just plain ol' folk.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM

The only issue I have with "immigrants" strictly involves a few of my customers, and one in particular. As far as he's concerned, I should be making him lunch and wiping his butt instead of working on his house. He can treat his wife however he wants, just leave me out of it!

Then there's the tiny little Vietnamese fellow who doesn't speak any english that brought me watermelon

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't care who you are or what you do (some exceptions apply) as long as you're...I don't know, accepting and nice and decent and friendly. Lol. If only.