Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Swainsons hawks

The other day i came across a pair of young swainson's hawks on the side of the road, one was dead and the other had a broken wing. The injured wing is broken right at the joint and both rehab places we called said they will just put it down as soon as they get it. I was hoping someone would have another idea on what to do with this hawk, he is very active minus the fact that his wing is strapped to his side.
I was also hoping someone would would steer me in the right direction on how to get a found wildlife permit to mount the other bird.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

You try the alberta birds of prey in coaldale?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:25 PM

Yeah, they said they would look at it but because of the place its wing is broken it would most likely never be able to fly so they would probably end up putting it down. They have no need for another swainsons as a interpretive bird and if it cant fly it cant be released.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM

have you tried the raptor rehabilitation society, sherwood park... maybe they could make arrangements to get it...
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltprins View Post
I was also hoping someone would would steer me in the right direction on how to get a found wildlife permit to mount the other bird.
Phone your nearest F&W office ASAP. Tell em bout the live one and dead one. They will examine the dead one then issue you a permit for $10 plus GST of course. Did a while back with a owl. Don't know what they will do with the injured one though.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM

If you phone your local fish and wildlife office, they should be able tell you what to do. When I found my great horned owl, I took it to the office in Cochrane, they filled out a sheet, kept the owl for inspection and called me to come get it a little while later. Then, its off to the taxidermist of your choice. Pretty simple as long as there's nothing suspicious about the bird/situation.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM

I just did this myself with a great horned owl 2 weeks ago, took it in to the F&W office in the N.E. paid my $10.50 and i;m waiting to meet up with my taxidermsit. I've found two more hawks since and i need to get them in this week, a pair of swainson's as well, one is quite young. I have found all 3 on 567 between Airdrie and Irricana.