Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM

Wow what a response so far from everyone.
When I say "greasy spoon" I mean more like filling and hearty/comfort food. Good Food. Great Place

I have got to add a few places.....in the city and out of the city

Jasper- "The Utopia Restaurant" Its in behind the first Esso as you come into town on the main strip....first hotel on the right hand side.
Best Breakfast EVER!!! Great Price even better food...big protions.

Red Deer -"The Doughnut Mill" Ok not "greasy spoon" but good food prices alright. Great place to grab a Deli sandwich and so much more...Can anyone say Carb city? Its great...lol

Edmonton- Still looking............but there are a few.

Keep it coming everyone.... I'm jotting this all down....lol getting ready to bulk up for winter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse
the burger barn in millet is good.. but if you are ever near lodge pole go into the hotel/restaurant/bar and order a club house.. real turkey, ham, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cheddar cheese. now i have to go to lodge pole and have one. thanks anvil this is your fault..
HEHE oops Sorry Redneck.... didn't mean to get you fired up...lol Lodge pole isn't that far.....right? CLUB HOUSE SANDWICH??? Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
Oh yea sure. Blame the guy that just gave you an excuse to go out to LP, and get a great sandwich. On your way out there you could get in some hunting......thanks Anvil! I think I'll do that Thursday
See Redneck Posse.......Swap_Donkey is right.... go hunt down a turkey on the way...... Mmmmm Real Turkey Posse.......REAL turkey!

Great now I'm hungry
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
real turkey, ham, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cheddar cheese. .

Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 AM

Mmmmmm I betcha Redneck is already on his way to lodgepole right now!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 AM

For good Uke food you should try Uncle Ed's/Mundare Sausage House on 118th ave in Edmonton. All dishes are under $10.00, oh yeah they serve beer too!!!

Last edited by tyu33; 10-01-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey View Post
The greasy spoon diners died when they banned smoking. The Burgers in the Cynthia Hotel are classic greasy spoon food

i think thats the one JohninAB and i ate at last hunting season. I didnt even make it home!!!!! I think the bathrooms in that place were cleaner than the table we ate from. My plate had grease to spare to dip my fries in

I dont know if they are still around, but i think it was called Katie's Crossing, by ardrossan. The kitchen is in a old train, and you eat in the cabooses. Greasy greasy food, but damn good. Got to love biting into a burger, and enough grease squirts out so you can deep fry your next batch of fries.

The wife and i really like Dimmagios in Sherwood park, we go there just for the Lasagna.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 AM

Gusto burger in St.Albert...Unreal..Yes its $8 for a burger but its giant and yummy..Its next to taco time on the trail...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 AM

The Red Goose. 96 st and 66 ave in south Edmonton.

All original from the 60's. Red bench seats, old paintings and a large set of moose antlers on the wall.

The restaurant was and is still used for an APTN TV series because of its original condition.

"Heng" is the owner and his wife cooks. Heng will remember what you ordered last time and if you don't tell him any different, he will bring you the same meal. Fantastic memory.

A must see.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Wendy's Gourmet Perogies on 99st just north of the labatts brewery. Handmade perogies, kubassa, meatballs all kinds of great comfort food.
I work 2 blocks away, if anyone wants to go for lunch shoot me a PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

This thread bring back great memories of hunting and snowmobiling throughout small town SK. It was almost always love or hate - the food would either be awesome or just downright awful.

My favourite to this day - a Strasburger from the hotel in Strasbourg SK. Fresh kaiser bun, two homemade patties, real cheddar cheese, and ultimate touch - a slice of grilled ham - plus all the fixings and giant plate of fries. You always order a "small" fries, because the large was like a sack of potatoes. The best part - it was like $5-6, and I think it still is! Unbelievable.

Biggest burger I've ever seen (and one of the best) - the Iceberg Burger at the Ice House in White City, SK (just outside Regina). It's about 10-12" around and THICK. It's a work out, but man, it's good.

In Regina -

Bushwakkers Brew Pub on Dewdney Ave. is your ticket to success. Great food and great micro-brew beer with a really nice atmosphere. Try the Sodbuster Brown Ale...

Nicky's Cafe - it's a landmark for a reason, some of the best food and service anywhere, Nicky is a one of a kind.

Keep'em coming, I'm making notes on this thread.

Waxy
Old 10-01-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
Gusto burger in St.Albert...Unreal..Yes its $8 for a burger but its giant and yummy..Its next to taco time on the trail...
Sadly the owner retired and Gustos is no more......Jacks in Stony freakn rocks I love that place..just inject the grease into my arm
Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

I thought Jacks was in Spruce Grove????
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Barr none, the best restaurant for breakfast Sunday Brunch in town is Barb & Ernies on 99 st, south side of Edmonton! Awesome food, not greasy, German food is their specialty.
Reasonable prices.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Jacks is in Spruce Grove,

the last few times i have gone there they have been closed......anyone know if Jacks in the Grove is still open?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Jacks is still open, new owners this year. Still good though, awesome ice cream there, well worth the drive.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 PM

baba's on hwy 28 around wasketenaw(sp) / redwater? Awesome ukranian food at an incredible price. Attached to the mowhawk station. Large helpings. Worth a drive from the city to try out.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardslc View Post
baba's on hwy 28 around wasketenaw(sp) / redwater? Awesome ukranian food at an incredible price. Attached to the mowhawk station. Large helpings. Worth a drive from the city to try out.
times 2 mmmmm its good eattin thats forsure . I havent been there in awhile might be time for a road trip , and go hunt up near smokey laske near long island lake .
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 AM

My buddies garage.
Todays menu while smoking 60lbs of moose jerkey-
Breakfast= eggs(cooked with moose fat because we're to lazy to get butter from the house), bread, and moose jerkey(made fresh last night)
Lunch= Beer and Jerkey
Supper=wives and kids will be there, but I'm sure beer and jerkey will be involved.
May god have mercey on my toilet
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Barb & Ernie's on 99th St and somewhere along 75-76th Ave. October is the month to treat yourself. Best "home-growed" fill your belly better then Mom's place around. The Oktoberfest celebration menus will keep you going back because you missed the wild boar last time. nothing greasy about it and the spaetzle and homemade gravy are fit for a king.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM

South side
Barb & Erines!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Is the '' Motoraunt'' or '' Motor raunch '' as we used to put it , still around ?
It was that bus on 137ave that had the biggest greasiest burgers back in the 80's.
Ahhhh...... the memories...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Marcies Bar and grill in Devon has excellent food.

I know this is a chain, but the big burger at Fat burger with chili, bacon, cheese and a fried egg is something everyone should experiece.

If you are ever in downtown Ft Mc, Mom's Kitchen in the plaza 11 mall has some of the best greasy food anywhere.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Albertahog

Now i am not sure if its still there its been awhile since i was down that way tippy's restaurant 118 ave and 92 street next to the dollar store .
Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Ok since im a fat guy I gotta give my few places.

earnies on 99 st good food.
Teddys on jasper ave more of a restraunt theen a drive in
The restraunt in the villige of pigeon lake the restraunt next to the bait and tackle shop bearnasesity's.
The burger baron in millet is really good as posse says.
Nisku lodge restraunt some of the best food ive ever eatten.
uhhhhhwhen ft sask had the burger baron use to have the worlds best double bacon mushroom burger.
simon and king donair is good right next to the south side fishin hole.

Errnies on 99 ,....Thats the winner ......very greasy ! Everyone I know and myself included will never go back !
Must be because we are all square heads and now what is good and bad !!!!

Last edited by -JR-; 10-04-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Default chinese food

If its still there. There is a chinese resturant in Legal that is friggin unbelievable. Great food and lots of it. When I drove snowplow the old boss would take us out there at least once a month. He ate there at least once a week. Been about 6 years since I've been there.. Dng I just might have to venture out there and see if its still there. I got the urge for some great egg rolls.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 PM

No kidding Tree. I want FF in the worst way, but we have no pototoes and the only frozen fries are the "Steak" cut.. They dont get crispy enough... Some wierd cravings these days. My new Fav is Fried Eggs with Salsa and Franks Red Hot. This no eating thing does wierd things to a fellow.

Jamie

Try a slice of extra old or sharp cheddar with that little trio... not bad!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Barb and Ernie's

A german couple owns this gem. Awesome brekfast. On 99th st and 75th(ish) ave.

Also Haps on the west end is awsome as well
Old 10-09-2008, 06:46 AM

OMG i think i found Greasy spoon heaven or hell depends on how you look at it...... check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

Thanks BBJ now I want a 2lb steak and chicken fried Bacon strips!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM

This thread cheered me back up ealier when i was still steaming......like a piping hot pizza....*homer* Aaahhhhhuuugggg
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 PM

A few places come to mind- I have to say that my definition of good is a reasonable price and huge servings. I am not a big fan of "portion control". For that reason alone the High Level Diner is on the outs for me as I starve to death after ordering and eating a meal there.

The Nisku Truck Stop always has great food- any place that serves all day breakfast and is open 24/7.

There is also Haps on Stony Plain RD., they're only open until 4pm but they have the service down to a fine art.

Route 99 Diner gets an honorable mention as it has one breakfast order that comes out on 2 plates.

Saratoga's on Calgary Trail has a good meatloaf.

Back in the day there used to be a Husky's truck stop out on the Yellowhead, but that building seems to have moved somewheres...

Friends and Neighbors Cafe on Whyte and 107 is always packed because of the good food, prices and service.

I will always have a place for Uncle Albert's on 51 ave too. It boggles my mind when a folks are willing to stand in line for food at IHOPs( heck, it irritates the heck outta me to have to stand in line for anything )when there is a perfectly good Uncle Albert's just down the road with a great menu and lightening fast service.

Edit- oh yeah, Jack's out in the Grove is awesome. Worth the trip and gas just for the fries. Reminds me of Peter's Drive In - Calgary, except with less people/line-up.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post
Route 99 Diner gets an honorable mention as it has one breakfast order that comes out on 2 plates.

Saratoga's on Calgary Trail has a good meatloaf.
x2 on both of these. I remember going to Saratoga's back in the '70's when I lived in Leduc... they had the best liver and onions. I still pop in there every once in a while.

Route 99 is awesome... a real "1950's" style diner, great service (last time we went, they were busier then heck, waitress brought coffee without being asked, said she would be back but had to get orders and it would be a few minutes). Food is pretty good too.