Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Default NB1 Report

It was a cold morning (Thursday), fished St.Vincent by St.Paul and rumor has it guys were catching perch. We got nothing, ran out of propane in those little bottles for our tent so we booked 'er out of there and off to get more propane and a new lake. Seena 'Fisher' (animal) kinda neet little guy, glad we were in the truck, I heard they r visious. Decided to go to Garner, caught many small perch but the biggest ones were 9-10". By this time it was after noon and the sun was full and not as nipply out. Fished there all afternoon and steady catching but small. Both lakes had 12+ inches of ice, St.Vincent had one other guy on the lake in a truck, we decided to use the snow machine and sled to be safe until we seen what we were up against. On the both lakes, there was only 6-8 inches of snow, very drivable conditions for a truck. The ice was solid all the way thru. We will be out again Monday so, until then......I'm going to a xmas party to make up lie about the one that got away and have a cocktails too many.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the report.

I could have warned you about Vincent. That lake is done. Too much pressure the last couple of years for perch in the winter and low water level.

I'm surprised at the ice thickness. That is great!

What do you think you will try next? I have Wolf, Marie, Cold and maybe a few small unnamed perch lakes
Got a sled myself this year so I plan to use it on some less accessible places.

Made it to Gull myself yesterday and did very well. Got to see 6 species and land 4 of them. 12 inches of ice there as well.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Fished Tucker Lake, (18 kms west of Cold Lake) on Saturday, 12 inches of good ice, temperature was -38, 4 pike caught in the 65 cm+ range, fairly slow day, 10 fish through the ice in total.Good to see thick ice, actually drove out on the lake.Fished Manitokan 2 weeks ago, tonnes of small perch, 10 inches of ice, probably more with the cold we have had the last 2 weeks.Cold Lake is frozen over, no tracks on it yet, wont be long, will report when I see it fishable.Cheers
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Penner

What's the snow like so far up there this year. Anyone going into Spencer yet?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM

14-18 inches of snow, Spencer has been commercially fished just in thew last 2 weeks.I havent been personally but know of people that have
Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Yikes, 14"-18" of snow on the ice or just on the ground? Any flood water up there?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 PM

14-18 inches of snow in my front yard, Tucker had a good 14 inches of snow, no flood water, good clear solid black ice, no air pockets that I could see.We are hitting Marie this weekend, imagine the same amount of snow on the ice.Cold Lake is starting to show those massive heaves 5-7 kms out, looks like it will be better going this year than the last 2 winters,weather up here has been crazy so hard to predict whats happening on the big water, should be fishable very soon, -33 right now and minimal snow on Cold Lake
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Hey Tyee. That is a lot of snow. Usually by now we get a couple of warmer days to compress the snow. I am hitting Jackson/Kinaird this weekend and I will post a report when I get back. Normally we hit Spencer between Christmas and New Years, but with that much snow it will be tough to get into.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info Tyee33. Hey Sco22 let us know how you make out.