Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Default NAWT or Western Canadian Walleye Trail Tournaments

Paid my fee so i would have "up to date tournament info" last year in June. To this day the website is still not working. Does anyone have any info on the Moose Lake or Pinehurst tournaments? Are they still a go? Is there any new tourneys anyone is aware of? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM

First post and you joined nearly 1.5 years ago? Welcome to the forum!?!?

Have you checked out SAWT? http://www.gowalleye.com/sawt/

I think it's a bit early to have anything confirmed on any tourneys for summer, geebus it's only Jan 12th! A little anxious are we?

Plus, have you seen this? http://www.saskwalleyetrail.ca/ Not sure how far you want to go or where you are.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Yeah that sites never up to date. If you fished the tournys last year you should be on the mail list though. Good luck

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Default Walleye

I heard the Moose tournament is going ahead but the Bonnyville Chamber of Commerce I believe is running it this year. (Sean is just helping out) Have not heard about dates yet though.
Have not heard about Pinehurst
There are a few other lakes in northern Alberta that could qualify for a walleye tournament, but the difficulty is finding a campground that can accomodate the 100 teams, and having parking for a 100 boat trailers that is reasonably close to the launch site.
In the early 90's we went to tournaments at Beaver and Fawcett, but there were quite a few less teams and the rigs (boats and camping) were smaller.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM

The SAWT dates are already posted on gowalleye and the lakes should be posted by the end of the month. They are waiting for the permits to be accepted.

Nate
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Yeah the SAWT dates suck. Right in the middle of seeding/spraying time. Oh well, hopefully I can get to the last two, farming depending though.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM

You could try emailing any one of these people--for info on WCWT formerly (NAWT)

President: Jeff Hughes- jahk@telusplanet.net

Vice President: Terrance Yuschyshyn: yufishin@hotmail.com

Shirley Yuschyshyn: mikie1@telusplanet.net

Corey Nault: cnault1@telusplanet.net

Terry Reinhardt: treinhardt@shaw.ca
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Ya I am not to sure if I like them being so close together. If I am back to work by then it will be tough getting all of the fridays off of work so me and bob can prefish.

I am just hoping the fishing is alot better this year then last. We did pretty good but it didn't seem like we caught many fish.

Nate
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 PM

I heard a rumor that McGregor(sp) is gonna be one of the new lakes this year.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Yeah I hope so, he mentioned that at the wind-up. I hope its one of the last two so I can go!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Ive fished the tourney 5 times in the last 2 years and between the crappy comination of dates with lakes and the weather...ive only put 1 legal fish in the boat. Id love to see some of the primier lakes that have no limit or that are on a draw system to be added to the trail. Not to mention I'd love to see the score boards just buzzing with activity and everyone catching ( and entering ) fish.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM

I am not sure if they will get the permits for Mac or another possibility could have been newel. It will all depend on what gets accepted. There would be some big weights if they had either of those 2 lakes on the trail.

Nate
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM

OOOH! Newell would be fantastic. I know exactly what we'd all be fighting for location too if it's an spring tourney. So Newell or Mac on June 25/26 and I would drop everything to attend. Then Chin or Travers on the 12/13 and I'll do the same. I doubt I'd be able to go for the May ones. But you never know.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM

There would be some things that would be talked about with boundaries and things like that. I am just pumped to get back out there with everyone and have a good time.

You should try and make it to all 4 stops on the trail this year Stang. See if you can get in the mix for team of the year.

I am really hoping that me and bob can win a bunch of money this year and get right up into the mix again for team of the year. We finished 8 or 9th this year but I would like to see us crack top 5 and make a race of it.

Nate
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Not going to happen! But I'll try to get out to a couple or at least one. Damn farming.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM

plant winter wheat,barley ect what ones gonna be huigher for the year saves alot of hassle
Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Hey there guys. A buddy and I were thinking of trying to do a few tournaments but have heard rumours about how competitive and cut-throat some of the teams can be. I know that these are competitive tournaments and there is alot at stake here. But is it worth it for a couple of green horns to try and come out and have a good weekend of fishing without being stomped on by perceived "gods of the fishing world". Just looking for a few opinions. You gotta start somewhere and I figure it's now.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Hey Eye Hunter,

It is a pretty competitive tournament trail but is also alot of fun. As long as you follow the rules it is usually a very good time. The fishing can be tough sometimes but hanging around the campsite chatting it up with a bunch of other guys who love fishing as much or more then you do is what its all about. I am a very competitive guy when it comes to anything I compete in but sometimes its fun to shrug it all off and enjoy the weekend.

I would say if you have the money and time to join into the trail and meet some good people.

Nate
Old 01-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Smile

Thanks Nate. I really appreciate the input. Hopefully all the guys are as friendly as you. We've just heard so many rumors and it would be a shame that there would be some "a" holes out there that would ruin the experience for the newbies.
What's the best way to get some info on the tourney's and rules and anything else we would need to get started.

Thanks in advance,
Hunter
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Which part of the province are you in?

You can go to www.gowalleye.com and get the website links to the SAWT, NAWT, and SWT pages depending on which trail you are looking to join. I fish the SAWT and have been talking about getting into the SWT but the funds aren't looking so good for this year.

There should be a rules page along with any other information you need to know on there. If there is something you can't find that you need answered just post on here and I am sure someone from one of the trails will be able to answer for you.

Nate
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM

For a first time guy this year (for us), it was an eye opener. We met a lot of great guys and for the most part they are pretty friendly. The SAWT isn't a high payout tourney compared to some of these other ones, so it's a little more relaxed from what I can tell.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
plant winter wheat,barley ect what ones gonna be huigher for the year saves alot of hassle
A litle late to plant winter wheat, don't you think?

It's our big canola year and at $13.50 a bushel, I have to say I'd rather make a half million on the farm than $5000 on a tourney LOL.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=nicemustang;799301]A litle late to plant winter wheat, don't you think?

lol......i waited for that reply giggling with anticipation
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM

LOL! We never get good returns with winter wheat, too finicky and too soft. It doesn't even have to rain on it for the quality to be down to #2. Hard red spring wheat, some barley, some flax, lots of canola.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks for all the info and insight guys. I will definitely be looking into it.
Hope to see you guy out there this year.

Tags
nawt, tournament, tournaments