Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 PM

Default Mallard Duckling Help!

So I swathed a mother duck in a thick patch of hay, saw feathers flying everywhere when she went through the conditioner rolls, shut down the PTO and got out to check and found a nest with 9 eggs still in it (Very late) I noticed they were beginning to hatch so I bundled them up in some rags and continued swathing. When I got in late last night I stuck them under a broody hen in the chicken coop. This morning they had all hatched but 1 didn't make it. The hen has taken a disliking to them and was getting mean so they're now in the nursery with a heat lamp.

Should I be contacting someone to take these birds or do I just raise them?
Does Ducks unlimited adopt orphaned ducks?

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P7300150.mp4

Quick video I took early this morning
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 PM

LOKI,

I would suggest talking with WWBIRDS. He might be able to help you
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Cute little peepers!

Friends of ours have raised ducks and geese, if you don't get any info get ahold of me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Sorry, I have no advice for you but good on you! You have a big heart. Good luck to you and the little guys!
Did find this:
http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/h...9-98ef699a3c8a
Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM

i dont know if the same rules apply in alberta with wild ducks but back east you can get a permit from the wilflife office and you can rase them your self they are kinda cute to have around i used to have one as a pet when i was younger he would follow me around same as a new puppy
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I guess they are too small for dog training eh?

C'mon you know I'm just kidding.

"Yes Dear" ended up with a clutch of duck eggs once. She stuck them under a broody bantam who hatched them. She did a good job but hated every one of them. They would seek out and find any water, whether it was a dog dish or ditch and go for a swim. Now that isn't a big deal until all 8 of them pile on you when they are soaking wet. I know where "madder than wet hen" came from. It was a REAL problem when they were bigger than her.

Get some duck starter . looks like you have some memories on the way.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Not too sure if this pertains to you or not!
About 20 yrs ago, a buddy south of Calgary was charged and lost his hunting privilages for a year for trying to rehabilitate a baby Racoon with a broken leg. His, then 8yr. old daughter had found it walking home from school and took it home. Someone?????? reported that he had it and 2 C.O.s from High River showed up with a search warrant!!!
NO one but a Certified Rehab centre is allowed to keep any WILD Bird or Mammal, without a permit issued by SRD, according to the charges against him!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Sounds like I better call SRD on tuesday and find out if I need a permit or not, In the meantime they seem to have fixated on me and will only eat their food out of my hand, and are continually jumping around in their pen trying to get out and follow me! I already have chick and duck starter as well as all the necessary equipment.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
Sounds like I better call SRD on tuesday and find out if I need a permit or not, In the meantime they seem to have fixated on me and will only eat their food out of my hand, and are continually jumping around in their pen trying to get out and follow me! I already have chick and duck starter as well as all the necessary equipment.
Gonna have to change your name to mama ducky!

Good on you Loki, saving those little critters.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM

thats what they like to do before ya know it you will be letting them swim around in the bath tub
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Good for you for pulling them through. A call to SRD and maybe they can help out.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Congratulations Mom!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Gone Hunting

"had found it walking home from school "

Really? I never saw a racoon go to school.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"had found it walking home from school "

Really? I never saw a racoon go to school.
Sorry, I must have missed a coma.
It would appear from most your posts, that you are way too busy proof reading to actually add anything of value.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbProwler View Post
Sorry, I must have missed a coma.
It would appear from most your posts, that you are way too busy proof reading to actually add anything of value.
I wasn't proof reading. It just sounded funny sorry I offended you.

"Sorry, I must have missed a coma."

I agree

Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM

So, I was about to add " while walking home", but there doesn't seem to be an edit option!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Gone Hunting

As I said I meant no offense. It just struck me as funny. I understood what you meant

Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Congratulations Mom!!!
X2 I think you've got some young ones Loki , at least in there minds
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Ducklings

Good for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
As I said I meant no offense. It just struck me as funny. I understood what you meant
I now know that you weren't, but it does look funny.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM

must be a great experience. Good on you for saving those orphans. Ducks arent always the smartest... like momma ducks leading thier babies across a busy highway...........
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Good for you. They are cute.
I have heard that SRD takes a very dim view of this. Too bad. all to often babies orphaned that way, parish because there is no rehabilitation places in most rural areas. Like here for instance.

I know a number of folks who would gladly care for such orphans but their only options are to let the little ones fend for themselves of break the law and keep quiet about it. Neither option is very palatable to me.

I don't know what I'd do, if I or one of my friends faced that situation.
I have reported wildlife in trouble a few times. Thus far, so far as I know, nothing was ever done. Once I sent in a hawk that couldn't fly.
The hawk and the box I sent it in were later found on the side of the road just out of town. The hawk was dead. It was very much alive when I handed it over.

This year I have reported two bears, one that was missing it's lower jaw and one that looked like it had wire around it's neck.
So far as I know, nothing was done about the first bear, the second happened tonight so I don't know yet what will happen if anything.

Frankly I have zero faith that F&W will do anything.

Over the years I have reported a number of things, and sent in specimens for examination. So far, only once was I able to learn what happened to my reports and/or submissions.
In that case I caught a beaver with a tooth that had grown up over his head and into his ear. I turned in the head and the scull is now on display in the F&W office in High Level.

Last edited by KegRiver; 08-01-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
must be a great experience. Good on you for saving those orphans. Ducks arent always the smartest... like momma ducks leading thier babies across a busy highway...........
You're right about ducks not being smart.
I've never heard of a duck going to school.
Now, raccoons, on the other hand...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM

I wonder how many calls get made each year. F&W don't have the manpower to patrol the way they need to (or should) so it doesn't seem like realistic that they would be able to (or should) address each and every orphaned/injured animal, fish or bird.

Little ones ARE cute but nature is nature, it has to run its course. I found 12 duck eggs under the tractor when the hen flew out from underneath and I put them into the tall grass along the fence. All gone in the morning though (no shells). There was a hawk eyeing them up late in the day. Hawk babies lived, duck babies didn't, c'est la vie.

No, not cold hearted, just realistic. It is hard to see orphans on their own, but it happens often in nature, unseen, and it is what it is.

If people were allowed to keep wild animals, fish or birds, why hunt or fish. Trap what you want and raise it. RBT in your pond, ducks geese and pheasants in a hutch, bull elk in the fields. This may be why it isn't allowed without permits etc. Do we really want more wildlife farms? I realize an orphan is not a wildlife farm but where would you draw the line? One orphan, one family, maybe 2 if you are well-to-do and have previously proved you can provide a secure and stable environment for their upbringing
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Finally heard back from fish and wildlife this morning, they want me to bring the Ducklings in and drop them off in lethbridge, I told them that wasn't going to happen as I'm working all week and wont have a chance to get back to the ranch till late next week. But they're also fine with me raising them till they're old enough to fend for themselves then releasing them, which was what I was going to do anyway! I'll have to post some of the more recent photos later
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Finally heard back from fish and wildlife this morning, they want me to bring the Ducklings in and drop them off in lethbridge, I told them that wasn't going to happen as I'm working all week and wont have a chance to get back to the ranch till late next week. But they're also fine with me raising them till they're old enough to fend for themselves then releasing them, which was what I was going to do anyway! I'll have to post some of the more recent photos later
Get that in writing!!

Good on you for taking them in. I'm a little jealous actually.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Holy S--T Common sense and decency prevails. That might be a first!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM

Dad had the same situation years ago. They started to die not long after bringing them home. One vet suggested stress pills. Not sure what he used but it worked. Had three mallard hens for a few years. They were true pets, followed you around everywhere. Gardened with mom, waiting for her to turn the soil over hoping for worms, bugs etc. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 AM

You could try calling the Alberta Institute for Wildlife Conservation (403) 946-2361. It is out by Madden they take in all kinds of wildlife, rehabilitate it and release back to the wild. I have had a couple of scout groups at the center and it was pretty interesting what they do. I believe they would even come down and pick up the ducks from you.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM

I had the exact same thing happen. Picked up the chicks and raised them in the kitchen, then down to the barn when they started to get feathers. The barn is about 50 yards from a DU dam, eventually we let them out of the barn, kept the cats away and down to the dam they waddled. Last I saw of them they met up with another group of little ducks and swam away with them.

Probably not legal, but the right thing to do in my mind.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw