Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Default Traplines can't be sold!

I was just looking at the ATA homepage and clicked on this 'becoming a trapper' link - http://www.albertatrappers.com/educa...gATrapper.html
I was hoping to spend part of this winter and all of next winter as a partner on a trapline with a trapper I know and then buy one of his 3 traplines from him. The way things are described here though, it seems that regardless of what he and I have for an agreement, if he gives up his trapline, my name just goes in a draw with everyone else who wants a line. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Its true that you can't sell the "Line" only the assets. But as I understand it, if you are a registered partner on that line, and if the senior member wants out, he can sign the line over to you and you just pay him for the assets.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

What you say is almost correct, DD, however the F&W, have final say in who goes on what line. If there are situations that they do not feel good about, they have the right to reject the transfer, but if everbodies noses are clean, then it's usually a done deal. It makes matters easier on everyone if relationships have been amicable..Good luck and enjoy...
Old 12-19-2009, 03:42 AM

Default Buying the line

Yes this is true, you ar'nt accually buying the trapline.
I went thruogh the hoops with this just only last year. I was junior partner on the line for 3 years and the senior signed a relenquish form to get off the trapline and requested I be the senior licence holder.
From there the F&W review and acually make the decission. If everything is on the up and up there is usually not a conflict. But a lot of people think that just because they hold the licence for that line they can have there own private little rec area and not accually trap their lines it is making things difficult for a legitamet trapper to get a start.
My accusition went very smooth and quick ( I think ) having a good relationship with with our local F&W officers behind me was a great asset, but I have heard that some cases don't go so smooth.
I agree with this system. It keeps the traplines out there for legitamet trappers, and not just a recreational user with a big fancy log cabin.
KEEP ON KEEPIN ON

Tags
trap, trapline, trapping