Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 01:56 PM

Default No Russian Pavilion at Edmonton Heritage Festival this year

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eats-1.6900153

What do ya think, right decision or no?
Old 07-07-2023, 02:22 PM

The very correct decision. Te Ukrainian and Russian communities do not need a stare down. This is not unprecedented either, so the woke crowd lest not get their undies scrunched up. I am fairly certain that for a time the Serbs and Croats resulted in a similar decision. If wrong, I apologize in advance.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:43 PM

All good for me.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:27 PM

Some one would have to explain to me why Russian Canadians should not be allowed to display their culture like every other Canadian culture there. This is about the common man, not power hungry dictators. Are we that weak to divide our people to?

Wounder how many Canadians with Russian heritage went over and signed up to fight against the Ukrainian’s?

Just my opinion, while I’m still allowed to have one. Because who knows what Canadian culture is next.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am fairly certain that for a time the Serbs and Croats resulted in a similar decision. If wrong, I apologize in advance.
No, you are correct. But there were years with both Pavilions in the Festivals here and in other cities. It was always very awkward - luckily people here in Canada were largely civil toward each other and there was no violence that I recall (or ever recall of hearing at these cultural events).
Old 07-07-2023, 03:56 PM

I remember having to step into a fracus in the locker room between some Serbs and Croats many years ago when I was a job steward.
No one else interviened.

They got told they had a choice - leave their dammed could differences at the gate or I could report the works of them ( 7 ), and all would be terminated so they could go back home and continue their crap overseas instead of csusing a disturbance here on nuetral ground.
.end of discussion!
No issues after that...
Cat
Old 07-07-2023, 04:16 PM

Whats it matter? Russian citizens are in North America making paychecks still.

Would this be if it was 40 years ago? This war seems like a farce at best.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The very correct decision. Te Ukrainian and Russian communities do not need a stare down. This is not unprecedented either, so the woke crowd lest not get their undies scrunched up. I am fairly certain that for a time the Serbs and Croats resulted in a similar decision. If wrong, I apologize in advance.
But it's not the Russian people that are at war, it's no different than discriminating against Japanese or Germans, who just wanted to live in peace while a conflict raged.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-07-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I remember having to step into a fracus in the locker room between some Serbs and Croats many years ago when I was a job steward.
No one else interviened.

They got told they had a choice - leave their dammed could differences at the gate or I could report the works of them ( 7 ), and all would be terminated so they could go back home and continue their crap overseas instead of csusing a disturbance here on nuetral ground.
.end of discussion!
No issues after that...
Cat
Worked with a few of those, You did not call them Yugoslavians. A very hot tempered bunch, I suspect a couple went back to fight in the conflict.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-07-2023, 05:45 PM

From the article: Organizers of next month's Edmonton Heritage Festival have decided there will be no Russian pavilion this year, citing safety concerns, threats and objections from the city's Ukrainian community.

So… maybe do not allow the pavilion of those who throw threats around? Par for the course though - one side threatens and complains, the other is banned from participating.

Agree with Grizz. But it’s not like it is unexpected or shocking, really. Although, I can’t say I care that deeply either.

Those overwhelmed with hate and rage, should just go and join the ranks of one side or the other and get it over with. Weird that people can’t be just Canadian, wherever they are from. Would be nice to see some unity instead of whatever it is some are doing. Lot’s of ludicrous things took place since the beginning of the conflict, including banning Russian classic literature some places, cancelling concerts performing classics by Russian composers, etc. Crazy world. It’s not like the dead fellas underground are the ones missing out.

There was a culture parade in school (elementary) where my daughters go. It was nice to see kids with posters containing individual or both flags (UA and RU), among many others. But then we grow up and… Not sure how to finish the sentence. Yeah well, what are you gonna do, that’s just life, I guess.

Edit: looks like I forgot to add that everyone of those posters included a Canadian flag as well, regardless of what other flags were on them.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-07-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
From the article: Organizers of next month's Edmonton Heritage Festival have decided there will be no Russian pavilion this year, citing safety concerns, threats and objections from the city's Ukrainian community.

So… maybe do not allow the pavilion of those who throw threats around? Par for the course though - one side threatens and complains, the other is banned from participating.

Agree with Grizz. But it’s not like it is unexpected or shocking, really. Although, I can’t say I care that deeply either.

Those overwhelmed with hate and rage, should just go and join the ranks of one side or the other and get it over with. Weird that people can’t be just Canadian, wherever they are from. Would be nice to see some unity instead of whatever it is some are doing. Lot’s of ludicrous things took place since the beginning of the conflict, including banning Russian classic literature some places, cancelling concerts performing classics by Russian composers, etc. Crazy world. It’s not like the dead fellas underground are the ones missing out.

There was a culture parade in school (elementary) where my daughters go. It was nice to see kids with posters containing individual or both flags (UA and RU), among many others. But then we grow up and… Not sure how to finish the sentence. Yeah well, what are you gonna do, that’s just life, I guess.

Edit: looks like I forgot to add that everyone of those posters included a Canadian flag as well, regardless of what other flags were on them.
They spoke to both sides. If the threats were one sided, that side would get the boot. But the threats came from both, so the side who is aligned with a genocidal communist dictator got booted.

Perfectly good solution in my books.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Worked with a few of those, You did not call them Yugoslavians. A very hot tempered bunch, I suspect a couple went back to fight in the conflict.

Grizz
Yes, many of us did .... but some people just can't control their emotions and leave it alone - clearly we are here in Canada for a better life and owe it to this country for taking us in - so acting like a total idiot is disrespecting our heritage and poorly representing us to others. It's shameful.

I remember, even as a young man (late teens) playing soccer - when some parents and spectators started some crap and we had our game stopped, both teams kicked out of season because some old fart arses started a fight - and thinking why they can't they just let us kids just play soccer? We came here to play soccer - not to rumble.

Yeah, it's shameful. I understand the issue on a very intimate level in ways many others will hopefully never understand - but there is something about moving forward and leaving that crap behind us.

I expect the Ukraine / Russian issue may take a similar path. Again, I understand it, but we must understand where we are (Canada) and why we are here.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
They spoke to both sides. If the threats were one sided, that side would get the boot. But the threats came from both, so the side who is aligned with a genocidal communist dictator got booted.

Perfectly good solution in my books.
I know interpretation of clearly written articles can be difficult in situations like this, especially when the heart and/or mind is filled with rage and hate, but this is not what the article said. In addition to the quoted part above, the article says:

Safety concerns have also been raised. The association said it has "received several threats" demanding that the EHFA not allow the Russian pavilion to participate.

Moreover,

Last year, Russia pavilion organizers voluntarily decided not to run a pavilion at the festival but Ukrainian community members are concerned that this year, the pavilion could return.

Which clearly implies understanding from the organizers of the Russian pavilion. There was no mentions of alliances of any kind.

Whatever, really. Like I said, don’t particularly care either way. As far as I am concerned, they should only set a few native tents because most of the ones who came after was siding with some “genocidal maniac” (why else would they come here, right?) or became one after landing here because plenty of actual genocide happened after. Or wait, the native dudes were pretty good at killing each other too. No tents, I guess; cancel the event.

Happy there were no “deep thinkers” at my kids’ school culture parade. At least (some of the) kids didn’t get cancelled because of who they are and walked to applause with their heads high, as they should… all of them, regardless of the poster they carried.

Edit: I actually feel weird that this has to be explained to people in Canada, above all.

Last edited by fishnguy; 07-07-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
\ Weird that people can’t be just Canadian, wherever they are from..
Not weird when we have a gov't and immigration policy that is focused on diversity and multiculturalism, encouraging people to become hyphenated Canadians with the hyphen coming first and the Canadian second if at all. They encourage them to indulge in their customs and traditions which can be quite depraved in some cases and culturally anathema to Canadas best interests. Then stir them all into the same pot and pretend that they will get along when we know they won't and call it diversity. Many are not coming to Canada to be Canadians, they are coming to Canada to be free to be what they were supposedly escaping from.

Some cultures don't mix well with others, never have, never will. Mixing them together is a recipe for the breakdown of society.

Canada needs a standard of social conformity that is in the best interest of the people. The last thing we should be doing is encouraging elements that diverge from being Canadian first and foremost. Canada is becoming a cesspool of special interest groups who are using our country to further their own agendas and cultures over the interests of the hosts that opened the door to them.

I'm sure someone is going to say that immigration of many different cultures is what built Canada. Very true, but culturally divergent immigrants of like mind and goals are far fewer. We are bringing in a different type of immigrant today. Way too many are far from being like minded and not interested in abandoning their previous lifestyle. IMO a growing percentage view Canada and Canadians as a flock of sheep ripe for the fleecing. Have no intention of giving back, let alone have any inkling that maybe they could/should give back.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:40 PM

I think it was a bad decision

People of Russian heritage should be there just like anyone else

It's Heritage Days, not Flavour of the Month Days

Trudeaus wanted a multicultural country? Well, this is what that looks like.

Live with it. Canada isnt a melting pot. It's a powder keg
Old 07-07-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I think it was a bad decision

People of Russian heritage should be there just like anyone else

It's Heritage Days, not Flavour of the Month Days

Trudeaus wanted a multicultural country? Well, this is what that looks like.

Live with it. Canada isnt a melting pot. It's a powder keg
Much like France, but then again turdo and macron are besties. Should be an interesting decade or two.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
No one else interviened.

.end of discussion!
No issues after that...
Cat
100% correct.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:07 PM

There’d be a rumble before you know it. Th Ukies would win. Better sausage takes the day.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:29 PM

^ Meh, Poles would take the sausage. The other two can argue about borscht, who was first and whose is better. Don’t invite Belorussians though because that’d be a real doozy.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:12 AM

Ban both the ukrainians and russians. Problem solved.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Ban both the ukrainians and russians. Problem solved.
Why would you ban a country whose sovereign territory was invaded, and whose people were as responsible for Alberta’s early development as any single people group?
Old 07-08-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Why would you ban a country whose sovereign territory was invaded, and whose people were as responsible for Alberta’s early development as any single people group?
Ban the instigators nor the country's pavilion .
Banning the pavillion would be akin to banning semi autos because some idjit mught shoot somebody with a black rifle!
Cat
Old 07-08-2023, 07:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Heritage days from my perspective is just that what the country was built on.

Walking around experiencing the different heritages is what it should be about, allowing this one and not another is not what I would call heritage days.

Call it select heritage days based on a perfect past...the place would be empty

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Ban the instigators nor the country's pavilion .
Banning the pavillion would be akin to banning semi autos because some idjit mught shoot somebody with a black rifle!
Cat
Guys, they are not allowing Russians to participate so as to avoid physical altercations at Heritage Days. Is this really a hard concept? It was the same in the 90s with the Serbs and Croats. No one lost their minds back then about the Serbs being put on pause for a year or two. Common sense said until tensions have settled, the aggressor country can take a break from having a booth, as there is no need to invite trouble at a celebratory festival.

There is an active war going, and Edmonton is chock full with Ukrainian refugees who have lost their entire lives. Many who will be in attendance, have family members in this war, who are living in cities where bombs are being dropped on apartment buildings. This has absolutely zero to do with idjits or black rifles or cancel culture.

This isn’t a war being played out on video game screens people. And in war, there is real life fallout, even when it is being fought on the other side of the world as in this case.

A month ago, the US State Dept released the following statement concerning war crimes and atrocities being perpetuated on Ukrainian civilans: “ The secretary of state determined in February that members of Russia's forces and other Russian officials committed crimes against humanity in Ukraine, including: Execution-style killing of men and women. Torture of people held in detention. Rape of Ukrainian women and girls.”

I have family in Ukraine whose lives as they knew it have been destroyed, kinda naive to think they’d want to stroll on over to the Russian booth and sample some varenyky during Heritage Days.

There is an old saying that come to mind which apply to this situation.

Fair isn’t always equal.

Seems to apply here.

Last edited by sns2; 07-08-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:07 PM

Painting a particular nation or race of people all with the same brush is never good esoecially if those people are not involved in the conflict

I have both Russian and Ukrainian friends but do not hold anything against my Russian friends for something they are not participating in.
Cat
Old 07-08-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Painting a particular nation or race of people all with the same brush is never good esoecially if those people are not involved in the conflict

I have both Russian and Ukrainian friends but do not hold anything against my Russian friends for something they are not participating in.
Cat
I don’t think they are worried about guys like you or I causing issues.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:10 PM

In any event, it's all regrettable. You'd be hard pressed to find people in either country that wanted this damn war at this point. War is hell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Not weird when we have a gov't and immigration policy that is focused on diversity and multiculturalism, encouraging people to become hyphenated Canadians with the hyphen coming first and the Canadian second if at all. They encourage them to indulge in their customs and traditions which can be quite depraved in some cases and culturally anathema to Canadas best interests. Then stir them all into the same pot and pretend that they will get along when we know they won't and call it diversity. Many are not coming to Canada to be Canadians, they are coming to Canada to be free to be what they were supposedly escaping from.

Some cultures don't mix well with others, never have, never will. Mixing them together is a recipe for the breakdown of society.

Canada needs a standard of social conformity that is in the best interest of the people. The last thing we should be doing is encouraging elements that diverge from being Canadian first and foremost. Canada is becoming a cesspool of special interest groups who are using our country to further their own agendas and cultures over the interests of the hosts that opened the door to them.

I'm sure someone is going to say that immigration of many different cultures is what built Canada. Very true, but culturally divergent immigrants of like mind and goals are far fewer. We are bringing in a different type of immigrant today. Way too many are far from being like minded and not interested in abandoning their previous lifestyle. IMO a growing percentage view Canada and Canadians as a flock of sheep ripe for the fleecing. Have no intention of giving back, let alone have any inkling that maybe they could/should give back.
Well said, when you accept Canadian citizenship, you are Canadian, and all squabbles originating in other countries should be left in those countries.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Guys, they are not allowing Russians to participate so as to avoid physical altercations at Heritage Days. Is this really a hard concept? It was the same in the 90s with the Serbs and Croats. No one lost their minds back then about the Serbs being put on pause for a year or two. Common sense said until tensions have settled, the aggressor country can take a break from having a booth, as there is no need to invite trouble at a celebratory festival.

There is an active war going, and Edmonton is chock full with Ukrainian refugees who have lost their entire lives. Many who will be in attendance, have family members in this war, who are living in cities where bombs are being dropped on apartment buildings. This has absolutely zero to do with idjits or black rifles or cancel culture.

This isn’t a war being played out on video game screens people. And in war, there is real life fallout, even when it is being fought on the other side of the world as in this case.

A month ago, the US State Dept released the following statement concerning war crimes and atrocities being perpetuated on Ukrainian civilans: “ The secretary of state determined in February that members of Russia's forces and other Russian officials committed crimes against humanity in Ukraine, including: Execution-style killing of men and women. Torture of people held in detention. Rape of Ukrainian women and girls.”

I have family in Ukraine whose lives as they knew it have been destroyed, kinda naive to think they’d want to stroll on over to the Russian booth and sample some varenyky during Heritage Days.

There is an old saying that come to mind which apply to this situation.

Fair isn’t always equal.

Seems to apply here.

?
I still say people can be civil and walk amongst each other especially here in Canada but then again maybe your right we seem to tip toe around issues and not face them head on.
Your at an event, act up, engage in acts of violence well your shackled, beat to hell, stripped naked and dumped at the edge of town, now bugger off!
Or straight to the train station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-08-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
In any event, it's all regrettable. You'd be hard pressed to find people in either country that wanted this damn war at this point. War is hell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Your absolutely right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Thread