Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Default 2018's New Gear

Wondering what new gear/brands folks tried out in 2018 and if it worked or didn't work for them.

I myself picked up a MR Metcalf which I really like. Also got a new pair of Binos, 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks, I don't like how they attach to my tripod (already lost the insert on the bino and have already bought two adapters) but I don't know if the other options are any better. The Diamondbacks seem great for the price though! Got a pair of OR Gaiters, they are awesome.

My 2017 Under Armour Brow Tine boots have nearly fallen completely apart, So I do not recommend them. Really I have been unhappy with Under Armour hunting gear in general. I also picked up a cheap tripod (Optex I believe) and it instantly fell apart in the field.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Banned

I got a badlands 2200 pack. Love it, holds lots, has a meat shelf etc. Some on the next say it's too small for elk quarters, and some say it's just fine (with pictures of them hauling out their elk) I do like how you can strap a bow or rifle to it no problem.

I grabbed some leica geovids on sale at the end of last year so no use with them yet but I'm sure I will like them.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

2018 rundown:
  • Bought my first bow - a Bowtech Carbon Icon. I've been very impressed with how smooth it is, even as I increase draw weight into the 60+ pound range. I only got out archery hunting one day with it. No harvest there but no fault of the bow - spooked a cow elk while I was filling a water filter at a spring. Many thanks to the great staff at Jim Bows in Calgary for their customer service and instruction
  • Replaced an old set of Bushnell binos with some Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42's. Incredible clarity on these, pound for pound these compete very well with higher priced glass. Using them on a tripod allows me to glass much longer and with less eye strain, etc.

On the radar for 2019...
  • Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 riflescope for a 7MM RM. Already have a 3-10x42 on a 308 and I love it.
  • Kuiu Super Down PRO pant, got chilly still hunting this year in deer season and with some treestand hunting coming this year I want to stay warm!
  • First shotgun, active thread evaluating options right now. Looking at a Winchester SXP variant or possibly an autoloader of some sort.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM

Blizzard pants from Sitka, great for -20 weather, and now a Lite outdoors tipi tent, looking forward to Summer, to use the tent, Oh and it's now 2019
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Blizzard pants from Sitka, great for -20 weather, and now a Lite outdoors tipi tent, looking forward to Summer, to use the tent, Oh and it's now 2019
Yeah I would imagine folks 2019 gear is still in the box! That’s why I asked 2018, to reflect on the past season and to get some real reviews on random gear.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 PM

I tried a few new things. First up in January was a new dozier with exhibition grade ironwood.

I bought a “few” rifles that don’t need mention but I replaced my primary bang stick with a kimber 84l Montana without the threaded barrel. I put a 2-7x33 VX-R multi dot leupold on top with a set of 30mm Talley rings. Rifle shot great with a max load of 748 under a 130ttsx.

It was more a trial of the bullets then caliber as I’ve been waiting to find a Montana in ‘06 for several years. I already knew from my other kimbers they fit me well. So as for the bullets
I shot three deer and a moose with it this fall. Two went down instantly, one doe at a hair over 300 yards took two jumps after being hit through the lungs. The moose was on the run at about 150 yards. She got hit in the scapula, the bullet broke that plus three ribs on entry and put about a softball sized hole through both lungs. One petal separated and hit the aorta but didn’t sever the spine. She made a couple more jumps but was clearly hit and didn’t make it far or get out of site. She was down before I had reloaded and gotten back on her. The only issue I had with that shot was I didn’t get an exit. I still think those little 130’s were pretty good and the trajectory at 3400 FPS was great but I’ll bump up to a 168 next year. The 168’s shot well too.

Kifaru lost park parka. It’s everything one could want in a winter jacket. Small, nearly weightless and so warm I couldn’t wear it unless it was really cold or I wasn’t moving.

So here’s the ‘06

m

The kifaru LPP and that dozier

I also finally got my mitts on a Phil Wilson fillet knife. It took me about 5 years but I managed to not only acquire one but also cleaned a lot of fish with it this summer. It was no trouble to see why they’re the most sought after custom fillet knife made today. It’s an absolute beauty in both design and function. Phil is an absolute gem in the custom world.

Near the end of the year I had Crotts build me my grail hunting knife.

I also picked up a couple more paramilitary 2’s to compliment my CTS-204p and M390 versions. One was missing from the pic cause it was at work. I really love those knives for an edc. If I’m not flying there’s one in my pocket. The steel choices are all great. I carried and used the M390 version for 11+ months every day before it stopped shaving my arm and cutting like a demon and needed its first touch up.

As far as the knives go. I used the dozier mentioned in the beginning this year. One bear, three deer and a moose. Gutted, skinned and boned out all of them (bear was only skinned) without sharpening the blade. After I was finished with the moose last month it still shaved my arm and easily cut printer paper. I touched it up after the season but it went the distance as they always do.

After Christmas I picked up a 65mm swaro spotter but haven’t used it yet. I suspect it’ll be a bit better then the vortex razor I sold.

Geeez, it looks worse then I remember it when I think about the gear I bought last year alone. The wife might be right.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 PM

Bowtec carbon icon. Also amazed at how smooth it is. Shoots circles around, or should I say inside my crappy bear cruzer.

Irongloves Neoprene scope cover. Best $13 I ever spent

First Lite Gear
Corrugate guide pants - I was disappointed upon feeling them for the first time, they feel like yoga pants. $200+ yoga pants. Amazed at how well they worked for a hunt I never intended with long Johns underneath.

Sawtooth hybrid jacket. Amazingly comfortable and warm. Wore a icebreaker thermal shirt, a Costco stuff sack puffy coat with the sawtooth over it. 25 below I was comfortable for hours of hiking until I tried sitting for an hour. How can it be both warm and breathe super well. Maybe these fabrics are as hi-tech as they say.

Solid purchases I will get value out of for years to come.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Bowtec carbon icon. Also amazed at how smooth it is. Shoots circles around, or should I say inside my crappy bear cruzer.

Irongloves Neoprene scope cover. Best $13 I ever spent

First Lite Gear
Corrugate guide pants - I was disappointed upon feeling them for the first time, they feel like yoga pants. $200+ yoga pants. Amazed at how well they worked for a hunt I never intended with long Johns underneath.

Sawtooth hybrid jacket. Amazingly comfortable and warm. Wore a icebreaker thermal shirt, a Costco stuff sack puffy coat with the sawtooth over it. 25 below I was comfortable for hours of hiking until I tried sitting for an hour. How can it be both warm and breathe super well. Maybe these fabrics are as hi-tech as they say.

Solid purchases I will get value out of for years to come.
How was ordering from First Lite? Did it take a couple weeks? Month? Was there any extra duty or costs when it arrived at your door?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM

Ordering from FL is pretty quick. I would say it arrived within the week, maybe just over. No extra duty. I have the Sanctuary jacket and Catalyst pant.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM

I should add...
The FL were actually my new pieces of gear for this year. I love them. I actually think the animals had trouble picking me out when I wasn't moving, even if they saw me move previously.

I hope to add a CA Ridgeline in 6.5PRC for next year. But most of my focus will actually be on getting an animal with my bow. Which is the seemingly popular Carbon Icon.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
How was ordering from First Lite? Did it take a couple weeks? Month? Was there any extra duty or costs when it arrived at your door?
It was about a week. Price on the site was the final price.

A coyote came in behind me at 25 yards, stopped and looked at me and started circling toward the call. He had to see me, green camo against white but he couldn't seem to figure out what he was looking at. I left him to educate his buddies so I will have a harder time of it. Absolutely love my first Lite stuff.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I tried a few new things. First up in January was a new dozier with exhibition grade ironwood.

I bought a “few” rifles that don’t need mention but I replaced my primary bang stick with a kimber 84l Montana without the threaded barrel. I put a 2-7x33 VX-R multi dot leupold on top with a set of 30mm Talley rings. Rifle shot great with a max load of 748 under a 130ttsx.

It was more a trial of the bullets then caliber as I’ve been waiting to find a Montana in ‘06 for several years. I already knew from my other kimbers they fit me well. So as for the bullets
I shot three deer and a moose with it this fall. Two went down instantly, one doe at a hair over 300 yards took two jumps after being hit through the lungs. The moose was on the run at about 150 yards. She got hit in the scapula, the bullet broke that plus three ribs on entry and put about a softball sized hole through both lungs. One petal separated and hit the aorta but didn’t sever the spine. She made a couple more jumps but was clearly hit and didn’t make it far or get out of site. She was down before I had reloaded and gotten back on her. The only issue I had with that shot was I didn’t get an exit. I still think those little 130’s were pretty good and the trajectory at 3400 FPS was great but I’ll bump up to a 168 next year. The 168’s shot well too.

Kifaru lost park parka. It’s everything one could want in a winter jacket. Small, nearly weightless and so warm I couldn’t wear it unless it was really cold or I wasn’t moving.

So here’s the ‘06

m

The kifaru LPP and that dozier

I also finally got my mitts on a Phil Wilson fillet knife. It took me about 5 years but I managed to not only acquire one but also cleaned a lot of fish with it this summer. It was no trouble to see why they’re the most sought after custom fillet knife made today. It’s an absolute beauty in both design and function. Phil is an absolute gem in the custom world.

Near the end of the year I had Crotts build me my grail hunting knife.

I also picked up a couple more paramilitary 2’s to compliment my CTS-204p and M390 versions. One was missing from the pic cause it was at work. I really love those knives for an edc. If I’m not flying there’s one in my pocket. The steel choices are all great. I carried and used the M390 version for 11+ months every day before it stopped shaving my arm and cutting like a demon and needed its first touch up.

As far as the knives go. I used the dozier mentioned in the beginning this year. One bear, three deer and a moose. Gutted, skinned and boned out all of them (bear was only skinned) without sharpening the blade. After I was finished with the moose last month it still shaved my arm and easily cut printer paper. I touched it up after the season but it went the distance as they always do.

After Christmas I picked up a 65mm swaro spotter but haven’t used it yet. I suspect it’ll be a bit better then the vortex razor I sold.

Geeez, it looks worse then I remember it when I think about the gear I bought last year alone. The wife might be right.
Nice catch man! Also, love the hunting knife, do you know where I can find one similar to yours?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

I bought a pile of stuff last year, started with a Hoyt Carbon Defiant and a Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo, Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Zeiss HD5 3-15x42, Hoyt RX1 Turbo, Mathews Triax, HHA Kingpin TE, HHA Kingpin, Spot Hogg Hogg Father Double pin, Axcel Accutouch HD, Nula model 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor, Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, Miendl hikers (2 pairs, 6” Perfekt Hunter and and 8” Alaskan Hunter), a Tikka T3 Lite, a Sako Finnlight, and a hand made merino wool coat.

Ended up breaking my leg and hardly used any of it in the field.

What I did keep was the Mathews Triax, HHA Kingpin, Spot Hogg Hogg Father Double pin, Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Zeiss HD5 3-15x42, the boots and the wool coat.

With the cash and trades from the stuff I didn’t keep I bought a Gunwerks ClymR, Swarovski Z5i, and a CZ 455 with a Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock and a Cabelas Covenant 4-16x44 FFP scope to go on top so far this year.

I haven’t tried the CZ yet, but all the other gear I kept I’m really happy with. The Mathews Triax is the first Mathews I’ve owned since my Switchback and it’s the nicest Mathews bow I’ve shot to date. Both the HHA Kingpin and the Hogg Father bow sites are great, the HHA is brighter but the double pointer feature on the Hogg is the cats meow. The Christensen Arms Ridgeline is a lot of rifle for the price, light, accurate, smooth action, beauty trigger, I can’t find anything I don’t like about it and the Zeiss HD5 is a good scope for the money. The Gunwerks rifle is exactly what they advertise, 1000yds right out of the box, literally unbelievable, and the Swarovski X5i is easily the best scope I’ve ever used in my life. My Alaskan Hunter boots barely have 10miles on them, but for being brand new I was able to walk 3 miles the first day out with them and it was like wearing my 15yr old Danner Elkhunters, really impressed with the comfort.

Like I said, I haven’t shot the CZ yet, I’m waiting for the Pro Varmint stock to come in (and a break in the weather), then I’ll take it out for a test run. The leg is a little better, I’ll be able to put some more miles on the Alaskan Hunters at the same time hopefully.

If anyone is interested in seeing pics or hearing anything specific about any of the gear I listed just ask, there’s too much gear to get into list all the specific details on all of it.