Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Macallan 12, if you can find it. I haven't seen it in a while, but is hands down my favorite scotch.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Macallan 12, if you can find it. I haven't seen it in a while, but is hands down my favorite scotch.
If you like the 12, you'll really like the 15 fine oak. Macallan stopped bottling their age statement fine Oak series a number of years ago. It is still available, but price has gone up as stock is being reduced. Costco had 15 year not long ago, I think it was around $110? I've put up a fairly good supply, a few years ago. The 25 year old is now in the $1800-2000 range if you can find it, the 21 is $1000ish, and the 18 year old Sherry Cask is $8-900 last time I saw it. Glad I bought when I did....

Anyway, try the 15 year old if you see it, you won't be able to much longer I suspect.

As an aside, I tried the new macallan 12 year old Double Cask...it is nice, comparable to the old 12 Fine Oak....but the 15 is still much smoother.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Was lucky enough to receive a few bottles of Scotch from valued suppliers this year. Got one basket from Eau Claire distillers in Turner Valley. Second batch of their single malt. Pretty darn good for a made in Alberta whiskey!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Jura 12 for me at the moment.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM

This is a bit out of my league, but nonetheless it's a disturbing read. Rat Bastards!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...NRFWvko1ayNoRA
Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
This is a bit out of my league, but nonetheless it's a disturbing read. Rat Bastards!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...NRFWvko1ayNoRA
Sad but true. Any time there is big money to be made the fakes and counterfeits abound. Wine is also a huge market as link shows. And Rolex watches in mexico....got to be careful!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeannie...identify-them/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-20-2018, 06:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Tonight's dram brought to you by Secret Santa!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1545357328765.jpg (19.9 KB, 54 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-21-2018, 01:42 PM

A good buddy of mine (hunting partner) just snuck onto my porch and dropped this off along with some dark chocolate, high end coffee, and pictures of his boys in a card...all without my dogs even noticing! Santa's got nothing on him!

I tried the Askaig at his house a month ago, puts me in mind of Lagavullin 16...on steroids! Cask strength Lagavullin? What took so long?! Great stuff, looking forward to a dram with friends and family this holiday. Merry Christmas everyone! TC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181221_133817.jpg (30.0 KB, 35 views)

Old 12-21-2018, 02:56 PM

A few that I'm looking forward to trying. Love the Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey but I haven't been able to find it anywhere so may have to hang on to that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kilbeggan.jpg (50.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Carn Mor.jpg (54.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Balvenie.jpg (57.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Old Pulteney.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Know absolutely nothing about scotch

Even attended the scotch sampling at the Taber festival and tried 5 or 6 to see if I liked any. First two in the sampling (spey?) did not have the peat or iodine flavor I usually avoid so they in my opinion were the best. The rest went downhill after than. (I do like expensive cognac though).
Have a very good client who brings me a great bottle of cognac each year around christmas and according to my wife reciprocating with a similar bottle of cognac which I like may not be appropriate so I actually bought a Balvenie 12 year old double wood that a real Scotch drinker recommend was pretty much foolproof to gift a scotch drinker??

p.s. dictionary shows dram defined as a volume measure being 1/8 of an ounce. I am thinking like cognac 1/8 of an ounce is never enough!!

Last edited by wwbirds; 12-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Even attended the scotch sampling at the Taber festival and tried 5 or 6 to see if I liked any. First two in the sampling (spey?) did not have the peat or iodine flavor I usually avoid so they in my opinion were the best. The rest went downhill after than. (I do like expensive cognac though).
Have a very good client who brings me a great bottle of cognac each year around christmas and according to my wife reciprocating with a similar bottle of cognac which I like may not be appropriate so I actually bought a Balvenie 12 year old double wood that a real Scotch drinker recommend was pretty much foolproof to gift a scotch drinker??

p.s. dictionary shows dram defined as a volume measure being 1/8 of an ounce. I am thinking like cognac 1/8 of an ounce is never enough!!
I'm definitely a big Islay Fan. Peat and I get long well. I haven't tried the Bruichladdich Octomore yet. Anyone else?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I'm definitely a big Islay Fan. Peat and I get long well. I haven't tried the Bruichladdich Octomore yet. Anyone else?
Octomore? Oh yes. Several of them. It is like drinking a very fine cigar, that has been lit on both ends for the occasion. There are quite a few different batches, each unique, but consistently verrrry smokey. This is the 8.3, the 6.3 (which has 258 ppm phenols), both those are 5 yrs old, and on the right is the 10 year old...my son got me that one. I have a 6.3 currently open in the cabinet. The 8.3 is my favorite so far, but may Crack the 10 some day and change my mind. Big Smoke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181221_165205.jpg (37.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Octomore? Oh yes. Several of them. It is like drinking a very fine cigar, that has been lit on both ends for the occasion. There are quite a few different batches, each unique, but consistently verrrry smokey. This is the 8.3, the 6.3 (which has 258 ppm phenols), both those are 5 yrs old, and on the right is the 10 year old...my son got me that one. I have a 6.3 currently open in the cabinet. The 8.3 is my favorite so far, but may Crack the 10 some day and change my mind. Big Smoke!
I get up to GP once every few months as we have a fairly big operation up there. May have to stop in and try a dram! I've read that 5 or 6 years maximizes the phenols. Amrut is pretty good too for a non Scotland single malt as far as peat goes.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I get up to GP once every few months as we have a fairly big operation up there. May have to stop in and try a dram!
Shoot me a PM, doors open.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:22 PM

I open up the octomore a few times a year. Xmas will be one of those times! Dad and I will spend more time holding it under our noses breathing in deeply grunting primitive caveman like sounds! Can’t wait.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:54 PM

My one and only scotch in my arsenal is Glenfarclas 21. Man its soo tasty, and it goes so well with my favorite pipe tobacco!! (Lane 1X)
Old 12-23-2018, 01:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
My one and only scotch in my arsenal is Glenfarclas 21. Man its soo tasty, and it goes so well with my favorite pipe tobacco!! (Lane 1X)
I have one of those myself... Excellent bottle!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-23-2018, 05:59 PM

Raked in a couple of more Christmas bottles from some valued suppliers. A Highland Park Fire Edition and a Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey bottled in 2013. Good ratings on both, we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highland Park.jpg (44.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Midleton.jpg (64.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 PM

We should make a crown royal thread
Old 12-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Raked in a couple of more Christmas bottles from some valued suppliers. A Highland Park Fire Edition and a Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey bottled in 2013. Good ratings on both, we'll see.
That HP is really quite good, I expect you will lke it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Yeah, you could talk about the four different ways of drinking it (rocks, neat, coke, ginger)....and then it would be on page 28 in a week or so....

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM

Yeah, you could talk about the four different ways of drinking it (rocks, neat, coke, ginger)....and then it would be on page 28 in a week or so....[/QUOTE]

Ha! That there is funny, even though I like rye from time to time. The last whiskey bible I checked a few years ago actually rated Alberta Premium at the top or near it for Canadian Rye.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
We should make a boat gas thread (JD is my poison)
Old 12-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
We should make a boat gas thread (JD is my poison)
Ha! As long as you have a Harley, it's all good.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Alberta Premium is at least 100% rye, most are corn blends. I like it better than Crown, honestly, not that I drink rye much. Forty Creek is pretty good.

Now, about that Middleton....if you feel the need to trade that for a scotch, let's talk! I like a good Irish Whiskey too...and that one looks very good!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:21 AM

That Highland Park and Jura 16 year old are my two favourite whisky's as far as SCOTCH are concerned, and my favourite Canadian whisky is Alberta Premium. I was in a person's house when he offered me some Alberta Premium and then had the gall to ask me what I wanted in it. Anyway A MERRY XMAS and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 07:23 AM

I think instead of flavor and different ways of drinking it, people could just talk about the funny things they have done while on rye lol. I know I could probably come with a few pages on my own lol.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=Twisted Canuck;Now, about that Middleton....if you feel the need to trade that for a scotch, let's talk! I like a good Irish Whiskey too...and that one looks very good![/QUOTE]

I've got a half dozen different premium Irish Whiskies. It ain't Scotch as per the thread but it's only a few drivers away from Scotland! You'll have to stop in whenever you get to Calgary and sample it.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 AM

I may just do that! You should be safe for a while though, don't get down there much....but I really enjoy an Irish Whiskey too.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Oh boy oh boy! Tonight is our 5th (?) annual Quarter Cask whisky tasting....a group of about a dozen of us have been getting together once or twice a year doing this, always a highlight. We do a straw poll at end of the night, on which was the favorite whisky, and whoever wins gets the plaque and bragging rights till the next meeting. I'm going big for the win tonight, but it's a secret blind tasting so I'm keeping it under cover till it's over. Will post results...Probably tomorrow!