Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 PM

Default grazing lease

Would I pay for fencing, seed, ferilizer ---etc no and neither would anyone I know. Fences all ready there in my case , same for grass seed bla bla bla. Upkeep and repair absolutely I pay.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You guys need to do your homework on this one. The entitled city slicker attitude is probably one of the reasons you’ve been denied access or phone calls not returned. It’s funny how your accusing the lease holders of profiting off of the public land, while you guys are trying to do the same thing with your podcasts. Pretty funny actually
Last time i checked...our podcasts were free to listen to.....
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=HIGHLANDER HUNTING;3916354]This is the same system as it is in Kananaskis..... Ranchers pay to graze their cattle, and people can access the land as they see fit.[/QUO

well would you look at that. quite a fact to consider

sounds like a perfect setup. why isn't this case for grazing leases? seems those leasing the grass in kananaskis continue to lease it, so it must work?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Not all farmers like the current way leases are handled, many of us still see the revenue made off leases for oil and the like as revenue taken from the province. I personally like the way the MD of Taber deals with lease land, some money made from any additional capital pursuits on the lease (money from oil wells, pipelines, access roads...) stays with the leaseholder to offset or cover management and maintenance costs, the rest goes to the body leasing the land to the leaseholder, whether the MD or the province. Pretty neat system IMO because the landowners are rewarded for being stewards of the land and working hard to maintain the property as they should, and they still get the original benefit of being able to graze more cattle on more land and have more cattle units to sell at auction.

Last edited by bitterrootfly; 01-21-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Public lands are the foundation of hunting in this province. Cattle and resource development can coexist however should only be seen as a portion of the value these lands have to future generations of Albertans. Poor previous government public land management shouldn't be viewed as the baseline.
With our province slowly going broke, the liquidation of these lands is being considered. This is a disaster in the making. IMO.
Spot on!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
It would be wise for the op to talk to a lawyer before going forward with their podcast
I know if I listened to it and got bad info I would be suing their hides
Ya cause your a tool
Old 01-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Ya cause your a tool
I hate to be the grammar police but the sting of *your* words was taken away by the improper use of “your” where it should have been *you’re*...
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Last time i checked...our podcasts were free to listen to.....
Ya and you get what you pay for
Am I the only one who see that you guys are just trying to stir the pot to draw attention to you podcast?
And who benefits from that?? Oh ya that’s right, you guys
You go and insult the major stakeholders involved in something that everyone here loves for your own personal gain. Good job!

Too many guys want to be the next shockey or rinella. Too bad you guys are like the rawhide of podcasts
Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Am I the only one who see that you guys are just trying to stir the pot to draw attention to you podcast?
You go and insult the major stakeholders involved in something that everyone here loves for your own personal gain. Good job!

Too many guys want to be the next shockey or rinella. Too bad you guys are like the rawhide of podcasts
I had no idea Highander Hunting podcasts existed. Since you bashed them so hard, I went to listen to a few. They do a GREAT job, covered a lot of issues, focused on Alberta, and they look like they are trying to do their homework rather than doing what a few seem to do on this thread, spout off. Actual hunters dealing with actual Alberta issues; just two Alberta guys trying to contribute.

Thanks for being so vehement and drawing my attention to them. Looks like I have a few hours of more listening to do. For others, the above link takes you to all their episodes. Good listening to all!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

I moved from Alberta to Manitoba in October. The leased land access here is much simpler and the way it should be everywhere.
Word for word from the Manitoba Hunting Regulations:

"Leased Crown Land
Most leased crown land is open to hunting. However, there may be limited areas of leased crown lands which are intensively used, such as livestock corrals, feeding areas, and building sites, where hunting is prohibited. These areas will be identified by approved signs provided by Manitoba Agriculture. Permission is not required to hunt on leased provincial Crown land, which is not posted in this manner. It is recommended that hunters notify leaseholders before entry. Please do not damage trails, drive across fields, or leave gates open."

Late season grazing is mentioned in one other part of the regulations. It just says that hunters should be aware that some grazing leases may have livestock on them during hunting season. It doesn't change the free access.

Is it publicly owned land after all. Leaseholders are only renting access for their cattle to graze. If you don't like those terms, don't lease it.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Good Lord, eat a Snickers...they are simply asking questions. No need to toss insults at them.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bob View Post
I moved from Alberta to Manitoba in October. The leased land access here is much simpler and the way it should be everywhere.
Word for word from the Manitoba Hunting Regulations:

"Leased Crown Land
Most leased crown land is open to hunting. However, there may be limited areas of leased crown lands which are intensively used, such as livestock corrals, feeding areas, and building sites, where hunting is prohibited. These areas will be identified by approved signs provided by Manitoba Agriculture. Permission is not required to hunt on leased provincial Crown land, which is not posted in this manner. It is recommended that hunters notify leaseholders before entry. Please do not damage trails, drive across fields, or leave gates open."

Late season grazing is mentioned in one other part of the regulations. It just says that hunters should be aware that some grazing leases may have livestock on them during hunting season. It doesn't change the free access.

Is it publicly owned land after all. Leaseholders are only renting access for their cattle to graze. If you don't like those terms, don't lease it.
Sounds like a pretty straightforward system, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Good Lord, eat a Snickers...they are simply asking questions. No need to toss insults at them.
Where is the ban hammer when needed ? Marky is a frustrated individual picking on people trying to keep busy. Life is aabout stirring the pot a little. Not much would get done without devil's advocate conversations. Plus free speech is a wonderful thing, but hate speech is an ugly son of a gun. Seems marky doesn't like many people on this forum that go against his opinions and beliefs. Maybe he should leave
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Ya sorry, this just bugs me. I’ve never had a problem getting permission on private or lease land. Do you homework and don’t wait til The peak of the rut and usually they grant it. Nothing new here. In my opinion this is just going to get people mad and close off a lot more opportunities than people realize. Rant over
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Where is the ban hammer when needed ? Marky is a frustrated individual picking on people trying to keep busy. Life is aabout stirring the pot a little. Not much would get done without devil's advocate conversations. Plus free speech is a wonderful thing, but hate speech is an ugly son of a gun. Seems marky doesn't like many people on this forum that go against his opinions and beliefs. Maybe he should leave
Easy there captain zero contribution
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM

All I gotta say is that I look forward to hearing the podcast. It would be great if you were able to interview a couple of lease holders for their perspective.

I think this is one of those issues where the majority of folks are pretty decent on both sides. Who can blame a lease holder for restricting access after having their hard work and significant investment trashed by punters and who can blame the respectful hunter for expecting to responsibly access public lands.

Unfortunately, on forums it seems most issues gets polarized into us and them.

For the record... one of the reasons I really like the Highlander Hunting podcast is that it is really humble and respectful, not full of product placements and industry experts.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Dude, hate speech is a myth. If you believe in free speech then you accept that hate speech is a myth because we are free to say whatever we want. You may disagree with what he is saying but if you value free speech you'll defend his right to say what he wants.

Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
All I gotta say is that I look forward to hearing the podcast. It would be great if you were able to interview a couple of lease holders for their perspective.

I think this is one of those issues where the majority of folks are pretty decent on both sides. Who can blame a lease holder for restricting access after having their hard work and significant investment trashed by punters and who can blame the respectful hunter for expecting to responsibly access public lands.

Unfortunately, on forums it seems most issues gets polarized into us and them.

For the record... one of the reasons I really like the Highlander Hunting podcast is that it is really humble and respectful, not full of product placements and industry experts.
I'm looking forward to it but the OP didn't direct me to his podcast when I asked him.

Edit: Nevermind a link was posted above. Found it.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I hate to be the grammar police but the sting of *your* words was taken away by the improper use of “your” where it should have been *you’re*...
Well thank you very much for pointing that out! I’ll make sure to get ahold of apple and tell them that auto correct messed up!
Haha tool
Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Banned

i ran into trouble with one leaseholder and the government land manager was very prompt and effective at getting the situation resolved.

i think the system works well if you know how to use it.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i ran into trouble with one leaseholder and the government land manager was very prompt and effective at getting the situation resolved.

i think the system works well if you know how to use it.
X2 The system in place should work for everyone, I think it is well thought out. Unfortunately, our ranks have more than a few disrespectful pigs in it that make it hard on lease holders. As much as leaseholders don't want to be grouped together as abusing the system, I do not wish to be grouped with the disrespectful pigs either. It is really a sad situation that could work very well if people had more respect for land they do not own (hunters).

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM

i think the system works well if you know how to use it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks (on both sides) who don’t. Just search the threads on leases here for examples. The problems also get exponentially higher the closer you get to a major City and/or the number of trophy critters on the lease.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Well thank you very much for pointing that out! I’ll make sure to get ahold of apple and tell them that auto correct messed up!
Haha tool
Easy buddy, tools at least are useful... your comments aren’t even worth that descriptor.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:02 PM

The OP is not looking for any pro rancher/farmer inputs. He has predetermined what the negative agenda will be in his boredome--I mean podcast. If some of you feel that it's a free ride for those who raise cattle on leased land, go get yourself some leased land an afew cows, after all you must think they are cheap to buy and a windfall to sell, and you can put your signs up and have your own hunting paridise. This topic has been beet to death. OP must have run out of ideas.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM

One question I have and this whole subject is not a huge issue to me as i have lots of private to hunt. But with this years mild winter all the leases I wanted to access left the cows on until December so they all said no hunting which is their right. Do they have to pay extra to keep the cows in there longer or are they just allowed to block off all the hunting season and keep cows fed for free for and extra couple months.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamT View Post
One question I have and this whole subject is not a huge issue to me as i have lots of private to hunt. But with this years mild winter all the leases I wanted to access left the cows on until December so they all said no hunting which is their right. Do they have to pay extra to keep the cows in there longer or are they just allowed to block off all the hunting season and keep cows fed for free for and extra couple months.
They don't pay more.
This tactic is often used to keep rec users off leases.
Or to save feed.
The public lands officer rarely counts cows and time on the lease even though the lease holder is only allowed the certain animal unit months he pays for.
There is flexibility for grazing. Not abuse of the rules. Supposedly.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
The OP is not looking for any pro rancher/farmer inputs. He has predetermined what the negative agenda will be in his boredome--I mean podcast. If some of you feel that it's a free ride for those who raise cattle on leased land, go get yourself some leased land an afew cows, after all you must think they are cheap to buy and a windfall to sell, and you can put your signs up and have your own hunting paridise. This topic has been beet to death. OP must have run out of ideas.
The big ranches are big because of leased land...trust me I know.

It is a very fortunate event to have been gifted leased land, try building a ranch by purchasing it one Q or section at a time..you can't its impossible.IMHO
Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Chances are this will cause a lot more farmer to deny access where they can
Already happening. There will come a day paid access will be welcomed by those who can't find any anymore.
For now, carry on with the "cowboy welfare" threads. I could use the extra income
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
I had no idea Highander Hunting podcasts existed. Since you bashed them so hard, I went to listen to a few. They do a GREAT job, covered a lot of issues, focused on Alberta, and they look like they are trying to do their homework rather than doing what a few seem to do on this thread, spout off. Actual hunters dealing with actual Alberta issues; just two Alberta guys trying to contribute.

Thanks for being so vehement and drawing my attention to them. Looks like I have a few hours of more listening to do. For others, the above link takes you to all their episodes. Good listening to all!!!
There he is. Welcome back
Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I need to point out that every time you reply to this post you bump it up to the top of the page which helps promote it.

The term Cowboy Welfare has been used by:
The Edmonton Journal, Calgary Herald, Red Deer Advocate, and CBC. It's not like this is the first time it's ever been used or we made it up to stir up trouble and promote our podcast.

John, Highlander Hunting- Rawhide of Podcasts.