Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Exclamation Want to learn to fly fish

Im wanting to learn to fly fish and try it out this fall. If anyone near red deer or around there could possibly teach me that would be great. Will pay if needed depending how much haha. Send me a pm if you can and I can let you know when I am available, currently playing hockey right now.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM

If you ever come down to Lethbridge drop me a line... (no pun intended!)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Cool

pm me at your leisure, I am abought 30 min away and would be glad to show you some basics to get you on your way.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Lessons are definately a bonus, but there is no better teacher than yourself! Thats how i learned. Stick to the trout ponds and small rivers to start. Ensure you have adequate casting room to avoid snagging line, because that is probably the most frustrating thing to deal with. Dont worry about casting to the moon, worry about properly presenting the fly, and good casting technique! Check utube for more on casting tips, sure there will be something on there. Get a 5-6 weight rod, reel and line, 8-6 lb leader, Good flies to start with- all around #12-14size royal coachmen, grey wolfs, bead headed prince nymphs, leeches to name a few. There is alot of helpful people here, that would be happy to show you...quiz them on knots, as there are a few required! Unfortunately my free time is hard to come by... But thought i would throw out a few tips! Good luck! Once you catch your first nice fish on the fly, you will be hooked!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM

I am just learning myself and would love to have someone show me the ropes in or near Calgary. I have a ton of spare time and would give the person who helps me catch my first bow river trout on the fly enough beer to kill an elephant!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Sorry to the OP for the small hijack of the thread....
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 PM

Not a problem haha
Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 AM

best advice I can give you, is don't be afraid to lose a TON of flies in your first couple years. Go on ickyflyworks and buy your selection for the local streams as they are the most inexpensive flies you will find, and good quality for the price.

Oh, and watch your line when you back cast.. i find this especially important when nymphing and streamer fishing.. it can be the difference between a 20 second untangle, and a 10 minute cut & re tie
Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Sign up for Hansons fly shop boot camp (if you can make it down to Calgary). For $200.00 you get a day at the ranch learning how to cast and doing knots etc. Plus you get to keep the rod, reel and line when you're done. Best bang for the buck.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Ive been thinking of trying flyfishing. Borrowed a fly rod to mess with. Man that casting stuff is way harder than it looks. Couldnt see what the big deal was till i tried it. Sure is satisfying when you get lucky and make one or two good casts though even if you dont know how you did it lol.

But at least i found out its not for me now. I have a bit of a wore out shoulder and all that casting can make it pretty sore is what i found out. Just a observation for those of you thinking on trying it. Maybe take a few lessons before buying stuff or borrow one to see what you think. Its dang hard work.

Last edited by cranky; 10-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Sign up for Hansons fly shop boot camp (if you can make it down to Calgary). For $200.00 you get a day at the ranch learning how to cast and doing knots etc. Plus you get to keep the rod, reel and line when you're done. Best bang for the buck.
What time of year does that run?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinCrazyy View Post
What time of year does that run?
http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fl...ing-boot-camp/
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 AM

I think i have to take back what i said in post 10. I cant resist it. Its really awesome when making a good cast. Ive been practicing indoors(very big place,high ceilings) and the more i do it the easier it gets on the shoulder. Think i was doing all the work,trying to force it, instead of letting the rod load.
It sure is way more addictive than sling lead cause its as much about the cast as the catchin.
Ill be flyfishing next year.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I think i have to take back what i said in post 10. I cant resist it. Its really awesome when making a good cast. Ive been practicing indoors(very big place,high ceilings) and the more i do it the easier it gets on the shoulder. Think i was doing all the work,trying to force it, instead of letting the rod load.
It sure is way more addictive than sling lead cause its as much about the cast as the catchin.
Ill be flyfishing next year.
Lol, yup when i was a kid i used to go in the back yard, got some funny looks but well worth it