Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Wood Buffalo debating on a 'no camp zone" of 120km around FMac

https://www.mix1037fm.com/2019/01/22...mp-moratorium/

Ouch! A 120km (2 hrs?) each way commute? That would definitely be a bad idea with typically 12 hr shifts on the roads up there. Geez.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:35 AM

What's the issue? Is the Mayor trying to get everyone who works in Ft. Mac to move there?

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM

After a recent presentation by one of the Ft. Mac administration Honchos , I came to the conclusion they're living in a world of their own, not connected to reality. Talk about pure BS.

Grizz
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
What's the issue? Is the Mayor trying to get everyone who works in Ft. Mac to move there?
Yes, they want the workers to live in the community and spend their money there instead of having everything provided on site/at the camp.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM

That would be pretty easy to crush with the lawyers that the interested parties can afford, especially when they approach it from a safety perspective. Not on the extremely congested roads going in and out of town? Then you can't be in an accident on them, nor congesting them in the first place. Its a traffic safety & cost issue. Could you imagine the buses required?? And the unnecessary fuel burnt doing so?

This would be picked apart easily.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

People and politicians in Ft. Mac used to have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Apparently that has changed.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
People and politicians in Ft. Mac used to have pretty good heads on their shoulders. Apparently that has changed.
Massive fires will do that to a community

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM

That idea is floating around for years. Definitely not a product of the fire

Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 PM

They walk among us.....idiots
Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
After a recent presentation by one of the Ft. Mac administration Honchos , I came to the conclusion they're living in a world of their own, not connected to reality. Talk about pure BS.

Grizz
They sound like disciples of the Nenshi/Farrell/Carra school of governance and social engineering. Awesome.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Massive fires will do that to a community
As will a hive mind fostered by daily safety meetings & heavy union involvement. Those union leaders tend to enjoy transitions to politics (no offense to Cat who should be a refreshing voice of common sense among those normally in such positions)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Why don’t they create a dedicated bicycle lane from Edmonton to Ft Mac instead.
Sounds like they are being paid off by someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 01-23-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
As will a hive mind fostered by daily safety meetings & heavy union involvement. Those union leaders tend to enjoy transitions to politics (no offense to Cat who should be a refreshing voice of common sense among those normally in such positions)
I wan't being serious lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I wan't being serious lol
No worries, I couldn’t make sense of it anyways
Old 01-23-2019, 02:49 PM

Default Tax base tax base tax base!!!!

Alot of Fort Mac did not get re built after the fires. Alot of owners where on some level happy to have the Property Insurance pay off the mortgages, and with the downturn, decided to re locate their families south and work in Camp.

The MD gets to tax all of these camps, even though it is Crown Land under lease with a development permit. This is a special deal for Municipal Districts from the Province, because there are so few private land owners to tax in an MD. It has resulted in a windfall for MD's like Wood Buffalo and Opportunity though.

Now the Mayor knows that those vacant lots left from the fire have been re assessed down hundreds of thousands of dollars because there is no structure on the lots. Think how much this has hurt Fort McMurray's bottom line! Trouble is, who is going to re build in Fort McMurray with the current economic outlook if they have a CHOICE??

I for one hate the Work Camps for the reason that during the Boom, alot of non residents were flying in for a 21 day shift, not spending a cent in Alberta, and paying their Provincial Income Tax to Provinces like BC and Quebec. This was just fine with Provinces like BC and Quebec. Neither Province paid a cent for the Infrastructure that the Workers relied upon for their 6 figure jobs in Alberta, but Provinces like BC and Quebec got the benefit.

Trouble is, the facility locations make commuting from Fort McMurray logistically impossible.

Drewski
Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

one thing i was thinking was that the highways around there need a whole lot more traffic

this should work well
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 PM

Ft Mac council voted unanimously in favour.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rium-1.4996357
Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 PM

I think a lot of the counsel must have residential investments that are not doing so well, now that the $450,000 house that use to cost $800,000 has gone back down to $450,000.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't all the Oil companies up there be paying lease's to the community in order to be there? Pretty sure they are up there free and pay their fair share of tax's to the area.
I don't ever go into town but lot's of guys do make a trip in to buy a meal or whatever.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 PM

I was last in town back in September and was astounded by the lack of crack heads. Apparently council in it's infinite wisdom seeks to reintroduce these creatures back to their natural habitat?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 PM
Banned

Go buy some houses.... Its going to get very expensive up there again.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:51 AM

It's going to be tough for a 120 klm no go zone around wood buffalo, as there is a town on the west end of the park, Garden River,
Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
It's going to be tough for a 120 klm no go zone around wood buffalo, as there is a town on the west end of the park, Garden River,
This is about the Municiplality of Wood Buffalo, not the National Park. The 120km has been amended to 75km. And towns aren't the issue, there are other towns like Anzac, and Fort McKay, that actually stand to benefit from this.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-29-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Sorry did not know that it was only the east side
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 PM

They did this in Williston N.D in the Bakken oil play, they banned all "man camps"

Now there is a glut of new construction sitting empty they can't rent out.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM

3 hours on a bus everyday, over inflated housing prices. Can't wait!
Oh yeah, I've worked at the Horizon site for the last 11 years and I can't see myself sticking around if this actually happens. If people want to live in Ft.Mac or stay in a camp it should be their choice. I doubt this will actually happen though.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 PM

Develop the area, properly develop the roads and routes in/out/around Ft Mac and maybe make housing affordable - and you might have people relocate there instead! All I ever heard out of Ft Mac was people paying thousands a month in rent... for a bedroom!! I can only imagine how much they gouge for property taxes, insurance and utilities!

I wonder if this might force some of the companies who've invested $ in that area to stop dumping more into it...

Something about catching more flies with honey.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
Develop the area, properly develop the roads and routes in/out/around Ft Mac and maybe make housing affordable - and you might have people relocate there instead! All I ever heard out of Ft Mac was people paying thousands a month in rent... for a bedroom!! I can only imagine how much they gouge for property taxes, insurance and utilities!

I wonder if this might force some of the companies who've invested $ in that area to stop dumping more into it...

Something about catching more flies with honey.
Having actually lived there for over 35 years, a bedroom ran $700 to $900 per month, and apartments/townhouses were typically $2000 to $3000. Even though it was half the size of my current house, my house was valued at the same my present house is, and my property tax was half of what I pay now. Utilities and insurance were comparable. The city and facilities were not nearly as bad as the people that don't live there make it out to be.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...rium-1.5171675

Little update to the situation. One less thing to stress for now anyways.