Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Default Anyone lose a lot of fishing line?

Sorry to vent here, as I think most people on this forum are not to blame, but a friend and I went fishing at Dickson Dam on Saturday, and holy crap did we ever find a ton of discarded line. Since the fishing area is open and has no trees, it's hard to figure how anyone can lose or snag this much line. People must be stripping off and discarding line for whatever reason. That burns me, as I've found several birds hopelessly tangled in discarded fishing line. Anyway, this plastic shopping bag-full is what we cleaned up from a very small area of shoreline...ugh!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:55 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to say that!!! Most members on here are lurkers that you never hear from!! The people you do hear from are usually the ethical the ones , the ones who you never hear from who knows??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
as I think most people on this forum are not [/IMG]
Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 AM

this is very common on the river bank. i collected lots this summer...
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Man that **** bugs me omfg frickin city boys
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 AM
WorldClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
It's not only city boys who do this sort of thing.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Default Fishing line

WOW No kidding. I was wondering if this happens places other than where we fish. Grrrrrrr it's just as easy to strip and throw in a bag especially if you use an electric hook sharpened/line stripper. They shoot it right into the bag!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I never throw out line like that near any waterway. I save it and then toss it out the window as I'm driving through Warburg on my way home to Calgary. LOL

Whenever fishing, there is always a bag to throw that stuff into. Nobody should have to come across this. I think more is showing up now because the water level in the reservoirs is being lowered.

I have never been to Dickson and can't see it happening in the foreseeable future but thanks for picking it up!

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM

I always have a backpack with me, with all my gear in there. My backpack has gotten pretty nasty because of all the garbage (from myself alone) have thrown back in there, however I know it's better in my backpack where I will eventually clean it out, than on the riverbank. Even more popular fishing spots have garbage cans in the parking lots, I don't see why it's so hard for people to carry it back! ugh!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
be thankful there fishing and not hunting...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

I used to find fishing line just like that when I used to fish the cardinal river for bulls and cutts.

That fishing line was made into nice little squares.

Being the nice green person old greylynx is I used to take a pile of the stuff to see how it would burn on the rocks next to the river.

It burns real nice.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear04ipod View Post
be thankful there fishing and not hunting...
I dont get it
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Agree

Can we not all agree that a good number of our fellow fishermen are for lack of a better word douchebags? If your don't come home with more garbage that you left with then you are not doing a good job fishing. Beer cans, butts, fishing line, and even car parts come home after a good trip. I follow the regs release everything I catch and feel better about myself when I clean up after myself and others.

I am not looking for a metal but enjoy the hunt both in the water and on the shore and karma gives me a gift from time to time.Both in finding neat stuff and going back to places that are not covered in garbage.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerrigger View Post
Can we not all agree that a good number of our fellow fishermen are for lack of a better word douchebags? If your don't come home with more garbage that you left with then you are not doing a good job fishing.
What if I happen to know a spot that's not full of litter, so there's no need for me to go cleaning up others' garbage? Does that mean I'm not doing a good job fishing? Does it make me a D-bag?

Just wonderin'...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 AM

95% of the places I fish have no garbage or old line. guess thats because Im the only one who fishes them

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
What if I happen to know a spot that's not full of litter, so there's no need for me to go cleaning up others' garbage? Does that mean I'm not doing a good job fishing? Does it make me a D-bag?

Just wonderin'...
Ohhhh Jay....
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say that!!! Most members on here are lurkers that you never hear from!! The people you do hear from are usually the ethical the ones , the ones who you never hear from who knows??????????
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Default trash

Its the curse of today...so many that have others picking up after them. I find moving trash necessary whenever I camp or fish, sadly too many uncaring sods.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Pick up your Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Its the curse of today...so many that have others picking up after them. I find moving trash necessary whenever I camp or fish, sadly too many uncaring sods.
X2 The worse fishin line to leave around is the braided line because it is so hard to break. The other plastic that wild life seems to get caught in is the plastic holder used to hold a six pack of beer or pop together.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Ever notice on packaging of line is asks you to recycle your line? Anyone know of a place that takes it back? I read some on here said to stuff it in a water bottle, does that work? Will they take it back? I just put mine in my trash, but if it could be recycled that would be better.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM

I caught a pike in little bow park a couple years back that swallowed discarded line. line was in its stomach, as well as out its mouth and in its gills. This likely prevented it from eating properly.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM

Thumbs down Lurkers eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Wow... This forum never ceases to surprise me with generalized, speculative comments such as this. When I post something I try to make sure it is relevant and I have found getting into ethical issues such as pro and con fish retention leads to elitists getting their fancy 400 $ Simms waders in a knot. I am also not here to give every dick and harry that has access to the Internet my 35 years of knowledge hunting and fishing Alberta.

Who Knows?????? Maybe I'm a pedophile or bomb maker!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

That's way to much line to be getting snagged. Lazy ****ers.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Was out at jackfish lake Saturday, and right across from the boat launch my motor sounded strange. Pulled it out of the water low and behold my news motor will barely go as there was about 60 ft of fishing line wrapped around my propeller and wedged into the shaft. I took it all out on the lake and tossed it in the garbage when i got back to shore.