Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Banned

Default What does black bear meat taste like

So I hunt for strictly meat. I have only hunted deer. So I need to buy some species licenses for the 2012 general open season. I'm definitely getting a deer license. I was also thinking of getting black bear license but I'm not sure how the meat is.
Is the meat any good?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM

I triied a bear ham last weekend. It probably has a lot to do with the way its prepaired but I'm not rushing out to buy a bear tag to go out and fill my frezer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
I triied a bear ham last weekend. It probably has a lot to do with the way its prepaired but I'm not rushing out to buy a bear tag to go out and fill my frezer.
I guess I'll save my money then and use it for a moose species license lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Default bear meat

I really like bear meat in stew, hate it in hamburgers and sausage. My hunting buddy always brings bear to pot luck suppers and everyone eats it up!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Banned

Best meat I have had at a wildlife supper was a bear which was cold smoked and then slow roasted in an oven. It was the first meat that was devoured, so I was not the only one who felt that way.

Delicious as a ham... try it some time.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM

It tastes a lot more like beef than does deer meat. It's also tougher than deer, IME.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerb View Post
So I hunt for strictly meat. I have only hunted deer. So I need to buy some species licenses for the 2012 general open season. I'm definitely getting a deer license. I was also thinking of getting black bear license but I'm not sure how the meat is.
Is the meat any good?

Awesome that you hunt for meat strictly just a point to remember... Here in Alberta you must not waste a bear hide. Bc us different where you must take the meat but can leave the hide. Alberta is opposite
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Some people 'taste' bear and form an opinion. Old bear/ young bear? Spring bear/ fall bear. roasted/boiled,pepperoni, sausage, etc.etc.

I have eaten lots of bears and haven't found any I didn't like.

I prefer spring bears as they are easier to work with because they have less fat. You want to take all the fat off. If you need fat use beef fat.

I cut mine into roasts and stew meat. I also send a bunch to the butcher for pepperoni and sausages. I don't do steaks because I like steaks rare and bear meat well done.

It tastes like beef and is darker and coarser.

By all means try it, but try the whole bear with different recipes. I cook the roasts like beef. with garlic steak spice or maybe basil, rosemary etc.

I don't make burger, just cause I have lots from other animals, but I do like stew, or stroganoff etc.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Bear is my favorite. But there are some tricks to it.
What they eat affects what the meat tastes like, so I wouldn't try to eat a garbage bear or a fish eating bear. And care after the shot is paramount. That skin needs to get off there asap, and also any bloodshot meat. I like to bone it out right were it falls if possible. And as someone else stated, trim the fat off as well, it makes better boot grease than anything. And when you cook bear, it needs to be done. Trichinosis in bear is slightly different than what is in pork. If pork has been fully frozen, it kills the trichinosis, and you can actually eat it rare if you like. But the strain that is in bear meat is not killed by freezing.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Default trichonosis don't over cook your bear

Just a FYI, you do not have to over cook any animal whether it be beef, pork, chicken to wild game including bear. With beef, pork bear and the such you just have to insure the internal temp reaches 160f through out, use a meat thermometer to assist. By over cooking the meat it ruins the flavour and makes it too dry and pasty. I have eaten fall BC bear (from the coast eating blueberries) and cook my steaks just as I would beef, Med. Rare and they have been the best eating steaks I have ever eaten. Unfortunately I have no experience with spring or Alberta fall bear. I would definitely try to do up a smoked ham if you know how to yourself or know of a place that does good smoking as they usually are top notch. Hope this helps and remember all your wild game does not need to be over cooked. Enjoy!!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM

I agree that overcooking any game is a bad and will ruin it.
160F would not give you medium rare. Medium rare is more like 135F internal temp. 160F would be medium well, so just a tiny bit of pink. Trichinosis dies at 165F. If you have been taking bear steaks to only 135, you are flirting with trouble.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

You could always make Swiss steak, then being well done is not a concern.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM

duh like everything else it tastes like chicken
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyIam View Post
I agree that overcooking any game is a bad and will ruin it.
160F would not give you medium rare. Medium rare is more like 135F internal temp. 160F would be medium well, so just a tiny bit of pink. Trichinosis dies at 165F. If you have been taking bear steaks to only 135, you are flirting with trouble.
Sorry, should have confirmed that my pork and bear are brought to 160-165 (kill the possibility of Trichinosis) but all other wild meat is cooked the same as beef, "mooing in the middle"...LOL!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM

I like it a lot. But as previously stated, it has to be prepared properly. I enjoy bear/beef mix pepperetts. Now just to get a bear.